Indian Badminton Thread ...

Moderator: Moderators

Kumar
Authors
Authors

Badminton

Post by Kumar »

Anup Sridhar and Gopichand makes the main draw of the German badminton open.. While Trupti Murgunde lost..

http://www.hindu.com/2005/03/02/stories ... 921800.htm
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Badminton

Post by Kumar »

Draw for German Open,

http://www.german-open-badminton.de/fil ... inDraw.PDF

Nikhil Kanetkar is drawn to meet a Qualifier,
Chetan Anand - Sung Hwan Park
Abhinn - Nicholas Kidd

On Ladies,
Aparna Popat - Kati Tolmoff
gbelday
Please enter the middle number: 1

Badminton

Post by gbelday »

Gopichand went down to Tsuen Seng Lee of Malaysia 15-7, 15-4 in the first round

http://us.rediff.com/sports/2005/mar/02bad.htm
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Badminton

Post by Kumar »

As per newskerala, All three indian (Chetan Anand, Kanetkar and Aparna Popat) lost in the second round. :frown:

http://www.newkerala.com/news-daily/new ... s&id=79695
Former national champion Chetan Anand stretched eighth seed Dicky Palyama of The Netherlands in the first game but ended up on the losing side 14-17 5-15 while 10th seed Anders Boesen of Denmark made light of the challenge of Nikhil Kanetkar 15-8 15-9 to advance to the quarterfinals, according to information received here.

In the women's section, national champion Aparna Popat was found wanting against sixth seed Jae Youn Jun of Korea and went down 5-11 1-11 to bring curtains down on the Indian challenge.
Hindu link
http://www.hindu.com/2005/03/04/stories ... 541800.htm
Last edited by Kumar on Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Hi

Post by Sandeep »

I don't know when chetan anad starts delivering. I expected a lot from him. I thought he will be next gopichand and all. He is completely disspointing me with his performances. He is not even winning natioanls now s ays. he showed lot of promise when he was young. Chetan anand was very good friend of mine, but I lost touch with him. Actually he had brother, his name is also sandeep :D . He also used to play well. I thought both of them will become good players. But Sandeep faded away, chetan anand is atleast there, but he is not performing upto my expectations. I used to practise badminton with prithvi, Vidhyadhar, chetan anand, sharath chandra, suneel chowdary, vinod etc. I don't know how many of you know these players. Even suneel was very good. I don't know where he faded away. I used to go to stadium in vijaywada for cricket practice and these guys used to come for badminton. It was lot of fun.

By the way vijaywada is noted for producing good badminton players. SM ARIF is considered to be best coach in India, he is from Hyderabad. He is coaching Gopichand, saina nehwal, Shruthi kurien, Jwala gutta currently. Then there is one more coach named Bhaskar babu from vijaywada. He is also very highly respected one. Chetan anand, vidyadhar, prithvi, srilaxmi are all his prodigees. There are many many actually under him.
mugu
Authors
Authors

Badminton

Post by mugu »

Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators

Hi

Post by Sandeep »

Mugu you come up only with nose breaking and burglar news or what? :D

Anyway it is a shame on hotel in which the teams are residing.
gbelday

Badminton

Post by gbelday »

Badminton: Bhat, Nikhil bow out too at the All-England Open badminton championships

http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus/00 ... ow~out~too
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators

Badminton

Post by Sandeep »

Aparna Popat got better of Rachel Van Cutsen 8-11, 11-4, 11-5 in 34 minutes and moved into the second round of Swiss Open badminton tournament at Basel, Switzerland.

But it was not a happy outing for World No. 55 Nikhil Kanetkar in the men's draw as he was made to bite the dust by Arief Rasidi of France in the opening round.

Rasidi who is ranked 77 won 15-4 15-9. That was bad bad result for Kanetkar, especially from some one who is raked below him.
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators

Badminton

Post by Sandeep »

WOW, Aparna Popat is in roaring form.

Indian national champion Aparna Popat upset eighth seed Petya Nedeltcheva of Bulgaria to storm into the quarter-finals of the Swiss Open badminton tournament in Basel, Switzerland.

The 31st-ranked Indian dominated her opponent, 15 places above her in the world rankings, throughout the match to emerge victorious 11-8, 11-5 in just 29 minutes.
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators

Badminton

Post by Sandeep »

A worold class Badminton coaching center is coming up at Hyderabad under the guidance of Gopichand. Foreign coaches are being hired and AP government announced cash incentive of 10 lakhs for the salaries of foreign coaches.

http://www.hindu.com/2005/05/03/stories ... 182100.htm
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators

Badminton

Post by Sandeep »

I don't understand why officials again and again select Trupti Murgunde over Saina Nehwal though Saina has beat Trupti twice in national games.

Here is the squad for sudirman cup. Aparna Popat withdrew due to ill health.

Arvind Bhat, Anup Sridhar (singles); Sanave Thomas and Rupesh Kumar, Jaseel P. Ismail and V. Diju (doubles); Trupti Murgunde (singles), Jwala Gutta and Shruti Kurien (doubles).
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators

Badminton

Post by Sandeep »

India started off with a great win over Wales.

Anup Sridhar defeated P Le Tocq 15-4, 15-4 (1-0)

Trupti Murgunde defeated H Johnson 11-9, 11-0 (2-0)

V Diju and Jwala Gutta defeated P Le Tocq and Sullivan 15-5, 15-7 (3-0) :bounce:

M Hughes and M Lewis defeated Sanave Thomas and Rupesh Kumar 15-5, 4-15, 15-9 :( (3-1)

Jwala Gutta and Shruti Kurian easily defeated H Johnson and Ashworth 15-6, 15-2 :D (4-1)

Great win India :notworthy: and :goodluck: for your future matches
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Badminton

Post by jaydeep »

Great start by Indians ... US and Scotland r other remaining teams from the group ... Hopefully India will top the group.

Jaydeep.
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators

Badminton

Post by Sandeep »

Indian shuttlers thrashed USA 4-1 and are hot favourites to top their group. The next play Scotland who beat Wales 4-2. However Scotland lost to USA 2-3. So I guess it should not be difficult for India to defeat Scotland and top the group and advance to next round, where they are going to face some real competetion.