Vijay Singh thread

All posts regarding specific golfers and golfer threads are in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Kumar
Authors
Authors

Vijay Singh

Post by Kumar »

You know even though I don't agree with Vijay's comments about Annika,I can understand where he is going with his Comments. Vijay had to struggle a lot to make to PGA tour and I guess when he saw a top female player play in the PGA without going through the gruelling qualifying tours that other players go through, he probably didn't like it ...

Actually there was this other female who qualified for the playing in one tournament of the PGA tour by winning a tournament (men's) and nobody raised any cry.

Actually this controversy would have probably made POY race much closer :wink: as he had a silent support of lot of his colleagues.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Vijay Singh

Post by Kumar »

Article in Hindustan times on Vijay losing out on POY award!!!

http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/181_ ... 070007.htm
Suresh_007

Vijay and Chopra

Post by Suresh_007 »

Even though D. Chopra's nationality is Swedish, his web site has Indian tri-color which shows that he still loves India. I have never heard any mention about India from Vijay. Do you have anything to add?
PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Vijay and Chopra

Post by PKBasu »

We've had quite a few discussions about this on another thread.
Vijay is from Fiji, where the Indians are politically repressed -- although they are demographically the majority-community. In free elections, Fiji has twice elected an Indian as prime minister. The first occasion (around 1990), there was a coup led by Sitiveni Rabuka before the new PM could take office; the second time Mahendra Chaudhury did take office, but was brought down in a coup shortly thereafter. On both occasions, persecution of Indians caused many of them to flee (and Indians' majority-status was briefly overturned).
Given this background, it is perhaps understandable that Vijay Singh doesn't wear his Indianness on his sleeve...He can only really do so if he chooses to uproot himself entirely from his country of birth, which is asking for a lot since his family have been there for (I would guess) at least 3-4 generations.
ajay
Moderators
Moderators

Vijay and Chopra

Post by ajay »

Suresh,

Difference between Vijay and Daniel is that Daniel was brought up in India while Vijay is few generations away from India. This is a huge difference and it is not fair to compare their sentiments for India. Vijay for the first time visited India last year. There has been some interesting discussion on his roots in India and I quote
gvhvhg wrote:So how indian is he?
in the thread Vijay Singh , media and Money list. It may be worth reading.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Vijay Singh

Post by BSharma »

Kumar has put a link to an article about Vijay Singh. It is worth reading because it shows the side of Vijay rarely reported in the media. Thanks Kumar.

Paying it Forward. A closer view of Vijay Singh and his endless hours on the range reveals a nicer side of golf's supposed misanthrope

When I first read the article I had to pinch myself to be sure that I was not dreaming. It is not often that the golf media praises Vijay as a person. Many articles have been written about his fabulous game but few about him as a great friend of the PGA golfers and how good he is to his fans..

Vijay has played in my home town about four times (US Open, PGA and PGA Tour Championship) and every "American" friend of mine who interacted with him during the tournament, during practice, or outside the golf course (restaurants including Indian) told me about his "warmth and humor". Nick Price and Vijay are very good friends and often hang out together even outside the golf course. Vijay also spends a lot of his time with his wife Ardena Seth and his son, Qass, who is turning out to be a good golfer.

I am glad that Sports Illustrated had the guts to publish a positive article about Vijay.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Vijay Singh

Post by BSharma »

The Indian press has ignored Vijay Singh in the past. However, The Times of India had an article about Vijay today. I am glad that the Indian press is begining to give coverage to Vijay and hopefully some Indians will decide to take up golf as a profession after reading about this great golfer.

Vijay Singh enjoying life at the top
Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

Vijay Singh

Post by Dhruv »

Well if covering Vijay leads to more Indians taking up golf or sports in general as a profession and stick to the same work ethic then more power to him. However, I agree with them in that they haven't given Vijay much coverage in the past. IMHO, he deserves as much coverage as a Tiger Woods or a Phil Mickelson, Ernie Els and not more. Not because he won't play for India but because he hasn't shown any commitment to the game in India unlike Tiger who has often showed up in his Mom's birthplace to play a tourney or two.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Vijay Singh

Post by BSharma »

Dhruv, I agree that Vijay does not deserve more coverage than Tiger in India but his name can influence some Indians to take up golf. People still identify the name "Vijay Singh" as being of Indian origin, and if one Indian can excel in golf then others can also.

However, I disagree with you that Tiger's going to play in Thailand (his mother's birth place) is more "patriotic" or whatever else you implied than Vijay Singh not spending time in India. Tiger gets paid over a million dollars (often over $2 million) to show up in Thailand, Middle-east or elsewhere) and he did not go to Thailand to play there for free. I did read about it when he went to Tahiland. I am sure that Vijay will catch the first flight to India if someone pays him over a million dollars for a one day gig. Did you see on TV what Tiger got when he went to Dubai recently to play in a tournament and skipped the US PGA?
Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

Vijay Singh

Post by Dhruv »

BSharma wrote:However, I disagree with you that Tiger's going to play in Thailand (his mother's birth place) is more "patriotic" or whatever else you implied than Vijay Singh not spending time in India. Tiger gets paid over a million dollars (often over $2 million) to show up in Thailand, Middle-east or elsewhere) and he did not go to Thailand to play there for free. I did read about it when he went to Tahiland. I am sure that Vijay will catch the first flight to India if someone pays him over a million dollars for a one day gig. Did you see on TV what Tiger got when he went to Dubai recently to play in a tournament and skipped the US PGA?
Now that piece of info I did not know. I assumed he was showing up for marketing and publicity reasons for his sponsors and not because of huge appearance money. I take my earlier statement back then. It's a shame that players like Tiger who have some sort of tie to a country take big appearance fees to appear in world class events. I can see if it is a small time event Asian PGA event but not the Johnnie Walker Classic which is a $1.8 million dollar event. I guess I owe an apology to Vijay then.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Vijay Singh

Post by BSharma »

Indian press that targets largely the India based folks would have limited interest in Vijay while press that targets expatriate Indians (including ethnic Indians) would presumably have more interest.
Anonymous1, the issue I have with your statement is that the Indian press writes about a Davis Cup of USA or some other country but ignores the forthcoming Davis Cup match between India and Japan, as happened recently in the Indian press. Do most Indians living in India care more about some European Davis Cup team than their own Davis Cup team? Occasionally the Indian press writes about a "foreign" golfer winning a PGA or EPGA or APGA event but ignores the Indian golfers like Arjun Atwal, Jyoti Randhawa, Daniel Chopra and other golfers.

I agree that Tiger Woods gets more press all over the world because he is "Tiger Woods" (he deserves it) and I also agree with you that Vijay Singh should get more coverage than Ernie Els or Phil or Davis Love or Nick Faldo in India.

Dhruv, I do not think Vijay Singh visits this forum (or does he? - you would know) and I do not think you owe an apology to him. Tiger got over a million dollar appearance money in Dubai recently, flew in a private jet from US to Dubai and back with his girl friend, stayed in the Presidential suite at the famous hotel in Dubai (shaped like a boat), etc, etc. in addition to the prize money he got for playing in the golf tournament. Tiger deserves every penny of that money because he is the best and he probably made more money for the organizers than he got paid. (It is too late to get my children to start playing golf for a living :D ).
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Vijay Singh

Post by Kumar »

Bhushan,
Dhruv, I do not think Vijay Singh visits this forum (or does he? - you would know)
How would Dhurv know if he is visiting anonymously? Who knows our anonymous1 could be even Vijay!!!! :D It would be nice to know if he has heard about our website ?
It is too late to get my children to start playing golf for a living ).
HOw old are your kids? May be better late than never? I was talking to PKB other day about this, how Golf pays a lot of money and is probably not so expensive as people may believe . All you have to do , is buy a world class golf set (maybe it will come for 10 years) and pay Range fees and course fees (which may be a little expensive) and practice daily. You don't even need a hitting partner!!!!

Indian papers don't seem to be following US PGA a lot (except for majors, ) , but they do seem to mention about APGA in passing glance (a small paragraph)!!!!
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Vijay Singh

Post by BSharma »

Kumar,

Dhruv knows everything :D . On the other hand from now onwards I will assume that anonymous1 is Vijay Singh unless he tells me his true identity. :wink:

I am pretty certain that Vijay has not visited our forum. Vijay is one of the few top golfers who does not have his own website.

It is true that playing golf in USA is not expensive. However, golf pays well only if you are one of the top 200 golfers in the world. Mark Hensby (finished second at BellSouth last week) used to sleep in his car even when the outside temperature was below freezing until he started doing well on the Nationwide Tour. Many struggling professional golfers in USA drive from tournament to tournament in their cars or motor homes and are unable to afford a hotel room. Golfers, unlike professional tennis players, do not get hospitality and do not earn a single cent unless they make the cut.

I have two kids in college and one who cannot wait to get into college. They showed a passing interest in golf during school days but were more into basketball, baseball, swimming, soccer, table-tennis and a little tennis.
Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

Vijay Singh

Post by Dhruv »

BSharma wrote:anonymous1 is Vijay Singh unless he tells me his true identity. ;)
Well just to clear that up anonymous1 can be anybody as it is a general username and password for all forums (announcement up top) but more often than not (>80%) is a person who works for a law firm. And as far as I know no Vijay Singh on there boards yet.