Sahaja Yamalapalli thread

All posts regarding specific player and player fans threads are in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Sahaja Yamalapalli thread

Post by prasen9 »

Omkara wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:05 am She did well in India but her performance in US was below par. She even had a one sided loss to someone ranked ~125.
I agree with the rest of your post that I deleted but a #400-500 type is usually easy for a #125 and games are/can be one-sided more often than not, no?
Omkara

Post by Omkara »

Well that's how it should be. But if the wr 400-500 has a point to prove. Or if she is fighter
Or has the skill set to go higher, she would put up a better fight. She would have still lost the match, but abetter score would have shown she is set for something better.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Got it. Thanks. But, sometimes the skills difference is too much. Improvement takes time. Let's hope.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by sameerph »

There are match-up issues and all. In August, Sahaja came close to beating #140 Olivia Gadecki and lost 5-7 in third set. So, it is not that every time she is getting thrashed by a top 150 players. When she lost 06 36 to #120 maybe it was a very bad day for Sahaja and a very good one for the opponent on how the game was clicking on the day.

Sahaja will take time to consistently being able to play at top 200 level, right now I think she is at a stage where she can play at top 200 level on certain days like she did in final yesterday beating world #186.

I think eventually she has the tools to become at least a top 200 player although actually reaching that level may take a year or even more. Cannot say right now about anything more than that.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Sahaja is at the W75 in Charlottesville, but got no favors from the Draw

[R1] Sahaja Yamalapalli (IND,309) vs (1) Kayla Day (USA,84)

It is on the grey US clay. Not too comfortable for Sahaja, I am sure... Let us see how she does here. In doubles there, Sahaja and Kateryna Volodko (UKS) lost the R1 to the American pair, Elvina Kalieva and Ann Li, 67 (3) 75 [6-10]
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Sahaja upset Kayla Day in first round of WTA Mumbai, but that of course was on familiar courts and in familiar circumstances for Sahaja. On this green clay , the way Shrivalli struggled, I would be surprised if Sahaja even puts up a fight.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

One sided loss for Sahaja.

At W75 in Charlottesville, USA

[R1] Sahaja Yamalapalli (IND,309) l. (1) Kayla Day (USA,84) 26 06

This green clay look so tough to adapt too. Hope Sahaja and Shrivalli get used to it soon.

Next week, Sahaja is 3 out from main draw at W100 in Bonita Springs and Shrivalli is #13 in qualifying entry list.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

^^^ I really don't understand why they even chose these events to play... Oh well.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

At the ITF W100 in Bonita Springs, FL, USA (Clay)

[Q1] (1) Sahaja Yamalapalli (IND,309) d. Isabella Barrera Aguirre (USA,1128), 60 62
so
[Q2] (1) Sahaja Yamalapalli (IND,309) vs (16) Christina Rosca (USA,777)
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

No issues today for Sahaja. She was making fewer mistakes than normal, and the surface seemed to be even in bounce and all that. She still made a few of the "too much aggression" mistakes she makes when she has time to think, like on overheads and volleys at the net when she has the whole court to hit to and does not have to overdo anything. Plus she still has the occasional habit of hitting to where the opponent is, as of to overpower her, rather than hit it elsewhere. But generally she played a clean game today and shot making was very good in rallies and all that. She also looked a little bit fitter to me, and was running well on court.

[Q2] (1) Sahaja Yamalapalli (IND,309) d. (16) Christina Rosca (USA,777), 64 62

One thing I didn't like was a mini-choke at the end (again due to too much aggression, and thinking too much; stop thinking, Sahaja!)... Had 64 52 40-0 and proceeded to mess up a few points, and had to go to the 5th match point and save 2 BPs to finish the job. Up next,

[R1] (Q) Sahaja Yamalapalli (IND,309) vs Fanni Stollar (HUN,267)

Fanny had reached as high as #114 as a 19 year old six years ago, but has had quite a strong of losses and retirements lately. If healthy, she can be very tough.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Sahaja lost in a match where she could not stop making mistakes all the time... She went 2 of 13 at BPs she had, and allowed Fanni to convert 6 of 8 ... That is 4 of 21 success rate at breakpoints. That will cause a scoreline like she had in the R1... I counted at least 7 or 8 BPs that were wasted with totally unforced errors. I cannot understand how she can make so many mistakes when she is right there with time to hit the winner and any garden variety shot would do. She would instead do something over-aggressive like hitting a volley too wide or hitting a shot to the line when the whole court is there to drop the ball anywhere. If none of that is the case, she will hit it straight to the sweet spot of the opponent. I really think she needs to play "no-think" tennis, like when she does not have time to think and is reacting. Just hit the ball but don't do anything deliberate. I know, it is easy for me to say. The players know how tough it is to do that.

[R1] (Q) Sahaja Yamalapalli (IND,309) l. Fanni Stollar (HUN,267), 36 06