Wimbledon 2021

This is a forum where users can follow various tournaments that have Indian participation or are held in India. GrandSlams and Davis Cup should also be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Wimbledon 2021

Post by prasen9 »

I checked his age. He is October-born. The rule here is roughly that anyone born after the school year starts, say Sep 1, goes in the next year. Alternatively stated, you need to be six years old before you are admitted to Grade 1. If you change colleges after enrolling, the NCAA rules are that you have to sit out a year.
Sanjay

Post by Sanjay »

PKBasu wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:35 am So is he still in high school, and will only join Stanford next Fall? I thought he had joined Columbia last month, but perhaps that isn't true...
Samir is in my son's batch and they are in the same tennisrecruiting.net list. Samir of course is at the very top of the list. :-D

My son is applying now and going to college next Fall. So Samir would be too. He just committed to Col earlier and switched to Stanford.

Samir was born in Oct 2003 which makes him about 10 months older than my son though, not sure how he joined so late.
gbelday

Post by gbelday »

vparam wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:41 am
gbelday wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:43 am I am not sure but he may decide to go pro after spending some time in college. He is 2003 born, so no more juniors after this year. I was hoping to see him play pro events this year but he skipped them all.
That’s not true. He is technically eligible to play juniors until September of 2022 as he only turns 19 in October. He may decide he is finished with juniors after this year but he is still eligible to play after this year.
I am talking about ITFs, not USTA. ITFs are based on year of birth and not the birth month. He can’t play junior ITFs after this year.

PKB, he’s a senior in high school. A lot of good juniors commit after their junior year (summer after senior year).

Sanjay, Sameer stayed back a year in middle school. I think he repeated 8th grade. If he had stayed back in high school, he would have lost a year of eligibility (as per NCAA rules).
gbelday

Post by gbelday »

gbelday wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:04 pm
vparam wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:41 am
gbelday wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:43 am I am not sure but he may decide to go pro after spending some time in college. He is 2003 born, so no more juniors after this year. I was hoping to see him play pro events this year but he skipped them all.
That’s not true. He is technically eligible to play juniors until September of 2022 as he only turns 19 in October. He may decide he is finished with juniors after this year but he is still eligible to play after this year.
I am talking about ITFs, not USTA. ITFs are based on year of birth and not the birth month. He can’t play junior ITFs after this year.

PKB, he’s a senior in high school. A lot of good juniors commit after their junior year (summer before the start of senior year).

Sanjay, Sameer stayed back a year in middle school. I think he repeated 8th grade. If he had stayed back in high school, he would have lost a year of eligibility (as per NCAA rules).
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Sanjay wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:45 pm Samir was born in Oct 2003 which makes him about 10 months older than my son though, not sure how he joined so late.
10 months is less than 1 year. Typically, in one class-of you expect to find people who are born all across the year and thus 10 months' difference is to be expected. As I said, usual cutoffs are in September. So, Samir just missed the previous year's cutoff and your son was just on the other side of the cut-off presumably being born in August. Of course, sometimes it can even be more than a year if people had medical issues, and other issues.

Samir was possibly going a year ahead. For whatever reasons, maybe tennis, he may have decided to miss a year and get back in line with what most kids in the US are at.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

prasen9 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:47 am
Sanjay wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:45 pm Samir was born in Oct 2003 which makes him about 10 months older than my son though, not sure how he joined so late.
10 months is less than 1 year. Typically, in one class-of you expect to find people who are born all across the year and thus 10 months' difference is to be expected. As I said, usual cutoffs are in September. So, Samir just missed the previous year's cutoff and your son was just on the other side of the cut-off presumably being born in August. Of course, sometimes it can even be more than a year if people had medical issues, and other issues.

Samir was possibly going a year ahead. For whatever reasons, maybe tennis, he may have decided to miss a year and get back in line with what most kids in the US are at.

Typically the Indian families do not like their kids to wait the extra year especially when they just miss the cut off. And there is always the cost of day care, that factors into equation, why pay around 6000-8000 for one year of day care, if he could join public school. Lot of schools conduct a exam which lets kids bypass that one year wait.

There is always the risk that your kids would be physically the smallest kid and also there are maturity questions. These were not so huge when we were growing up in India, but is pretty significant here. Some families now start going the other way, when the kid just makes the cut off, they deliberately hold them back or even repeat a grade.
gbelday

Post by gbelday »

Yeah, we let our older one, Karan, skip Kindergarten. He’s Nov born and our school’s cutoff is Sept 1. He was the youngest in his class all though school. Started college before he turned 18.

The school district was super strict though. Besides basic testing to see if he was ready, they ran through a series of “emotional readiness” tests (outside consultants administer them).

There were no issues academically but it could have maybe helped his tennis a bit more if we didn’t let him skip a grade but I feel he caught up to his tennis potential. Even though he wasn’t recruited, he tried as a walk on in his first year in college. The coach liked what he saw and he is now officially on the Johns Hopkins Univ’s varsity tennis roster. It’s a D3 school but he was never looking to play higher than that.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

gbelday wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:42 pm There were no issues academically but it could have maybe helped his tennis a bit more if we didn’t let him skip a grade but I feel he caught up to his tennis potential.
And this is most possibly, exactly why Samir must have repeated the year in middle school. Well, this reason plus the NCAA rule about eligibility and repeating a year in high school.
suresh

Post by suresh »

gbelday wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:42 pm Even though he wasn’t recruited, he tried as a walk on in his first year in college. The coach liked what he saw and he is now officially on the Johns Hopkins Univ’s varsity tennis roster. It’s a D3 school but he was never looking to play higher than that.
Congratulations to Karan on making the JHU team.