This is a place where you can enter any non-sports general topics
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Doc's Near Death Experience

Post by Sandeep »

Ajay, as an outsider we might feel showing support is no harm but we also need to understand that we will not be the only one's showing support. These are tough times for Dr.Sharma's family and I don't know if they will appreciate frequent phone calls from their well wishers. The best we can do IMO, is to leave them alone till the surgery.
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

Sandeep wrote:Ajay, as an outsider we might feel showing support is no harm but we also need to understand that we will not be the only one's showing support. These are tough times for Dr.Sharma's family and I don't know if they will appreciate frequent phone calls from their well wishers. The best we can do IMO, is to leave them alone till the surgery.
Anyone is, of course, free to do what they want. However, I think if at all phone calls are made, maybe people can let others know on this forum that they were made. So that others can self-police themselves to avoid a lot of phone calls. One well-wishing call from the forum-members may be okay before the surgery, but, we have to take extreme care not to really bother them with multiple calls. The family has been good at letting us know of the status on this forum, and, perhaps when they are not too busy, they will let us know after the surgery. Just my 2c.
ajay
Moderators
Moderators

Post by ajay »

prasen9 wrote:One well-wishing call from the forum-members may be okay before the surgery, but, we have to take extreme care not to really bother them with multiple calls.
Exactly! That's what I meant. One short call on behalf of this forum asking about his well being and a small good will message from the forum would only bring some strength and support to the family from a lot of people. I'll be totally against if many people start calling as we definately don't want to bother a family that is going thru such hard times.
The family has been good at letting us know of the status on this forum, and, perhaps when they are not too busy, they will let us know after the surgery. Just my 2c.
It was extremely nice of Mrs. Bhushan to let us know the status. But IMO, instead of them getting pressured and putting effort to let us know what's going on, IMO it should be one of us who should once in a while put little effort to find out about his well-being and update the forum. It is subjective what is "once in a while." To me, a call once in two weeks may be okay. No information for a while makes me uncomfortable and little nervous. After all, he is just like a family member to this forum and we do care about him.
jai_in_canada

Post by jai_in_canada »

This discussion has become more about this forum's need to know than anything else. I say everyone relax and keep the doctor in our good wishes and prayers. And everything will turn out OK. We will get updates anyway.
Best wishes to Dr. Sharma and his family. Please focus on his health.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Based on the post and link below, I checked on Dr. Ellis and figured the good doc must be at INTEGRIS Baptist Medical Center at Oklahoma City. We are planning to send a card to the doc at this hospital in c/o Dr. Ellis using the listed address at this website. We will sign it on behalf of "Doc's well wishers at SI Forum.

http://www.integris-health.com/INTEGRIS ... efault.htm

Atithee
BSharma wrote:Thanks for all your prayers and keeping me in your thoughts.

My heart surgery is scheduled for Monday March 2, 2009 and it should last about 4 to 5 hours. The surgery will involve removing the device that was put in the heart to create a new wall (septum) between the two upper chambers of the heart; creating a new septum using my pericardium (sac around the heart), and by-pass surgery. If everything goes well, I should spend two days in the ICU and about a week in the step-down unit before starting cardiac rehab.

I had a rare kind of heart attack and the pressure in the right upper chamber of the heart became so high that it blew open the wall between the two chambers. The mixing of the oxygenated and deoxygenated blood caused my oxygen level in the blood to go dangerously low (50s and low 60s; normal is close to 100) for two days despite getting 100% oxygen on the respirator. The doctors expected me to suffer some brain damage because of persistent low oxygen, but surprisingly I did not suffer any damage plus my memory has become sharper.

I was referred to Dr Jim Long who is a pioneer in the field of putting mechanical pumps in the heart. Few surgeons even attempt to put a heart pump in the right side of the heart because it often results in the patient needing a heart transplant. Dr Long decided to do another risky procedure (ECMO) in me and it saved my life.

Dr Long is an interesting person. He lived in Kolkata, India when he was a young child and his future wife also lived in Kolkata at the same time. Their families knew each other, but they did not meet when they returned to USA. They met again when they were medical students and got married. Dr Long and Mrs Long visit India about 5 or 6 times a year and they run a 173-bed hospital (http://www.buntain.org/index.html) providing free care in Kolkata.

Dr Elkins will be my surgeon and does heart-lung transplant. His father was the Head of Pediatric Cardiovascular Surgery at Children’s Hospital when I was a Fellow and I had worked with him.

The last thing I expected was a heart attack. When I went to the hospital with heart attack on Jan 10, 2009, my cholesterol level was 150 and the ratio of good versus bad cholesterol was well below normal. My triglyceride level was only 50 and I walked 2 miles a day, go to the gym and play tennis regularly. Obviously there are other risk factors that cause heart attack.

Indian males living in western world have a high chance of getting heart attacks. People in the 20 to 30 year age group are now getting heart attacks. I am not writing this to scare all of you, but to get yourself checked regularly.
suresh

Post by suresh »

Thanks Atithee
Docs son

Post by Docs son »

I am very very sad and sorry to write here on this forum today. I think you all already know what this means.

My father put up a brilliant fight to be with his friends and family. He survived unbeatable odds time and time again. There are no words to express how heroically he was brought down in the end by multiple illnesses that struck him all at once. The torture and suffering he went through for 3 months were downplayed by him with his optimism and bright smile. My family and I witnessed first hand unspeakable amounts of pain that he fought through in the name of love for his family and friends.

I know how much you all were a part of his life. He spoke long and often about sports, this forum and this passion and area of his life. I never wanted to post on this forum because I knew it would be on the occasion that I came with this news. My father passed away Sunday afternoon in Oklahoma City Baptist Hospital after a long and valiant battle against a host of illnesses, some of which he had treated successfully in others before, and some which nobody on this planet has ever survived.

Thank you for being a part of my father's life and knowing him in the ways that you all did. He was a brilliant, hilarious, and big hearted man.

- Ravi Sharma

PS - here is the link to an article we found by suprise today in the Tulsa, Oklahoma newspaper someone had written on our father

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article. ... rchive=yes
Docs son

Post by Docs son »

A picture of our father the way we remember him, healthy and full of love
A picture of our father the way we remember him, healthy and full of love
Dad - medium.jpg (88.1 KiB) Viewed 3025 times
Varma

Post by Varma »

My god, this is a news that I never ever wanted to hear. Not a minute went by in the past few days without his thoughts lingering in my mind, I am not exaggerating. I am sure pretty much everyone in this forum feels the same. Even the passing away of some of my closest family members hasn't hit me as hard as this news.

Our hearts go out for your family and legion of friends your father made. Even though I never met him, he will always be remembered and held on dearly to my heart. I don't have words to describe what a positive and long lasting impression he has made. This is undoubtedly one of "THE" most devastating losses my life if ever experience. It breaks my heart to imagine the plight he went through. He did not deserve it. I pray and hope that he is in peace now.

Our loss is heaven's gain. Next time when I hear a thunder or lightining in the sky, I will know that our dear beloved Dr.Sharma has cracked a joke! If there is more thunder and lightining, I will know that he just released his trade mark Top-10 list!

You will never be forgotten, Dr.Sharma! But SI will never ever be the same again.

- Varma
Last edited by Varma on Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Dear Ravi, Our deepest condolences for you and the whole family (all of us). I am numb beyond words right now. Bhushan was an inspiration for all of us, in ways he himself may have never imagined. What we all know is that Bhushan lived a life that fulfilled so many more purposes than most people can even imagine. How a man I never met could be so close a part of my own life, is something wonderful to cherish for me, personally. All those moments of laughter he brought to all of us with his wit, and all those words of wisdom from him. Unforgettable. He will be missed very very badly, by all of us - but the Lord now gets to enjoy his company. We pray for your own strength to go through this tough time. Thank you very much for still taking the time to write in, and please convey all our support to your mother - the wonderful lady that we have all come to know through Bhushan without having ever met. Prayers.

To Bhushan - thanks for everything, doc. You will always be in our hearts. #1 in our top-10 list of people who touched us. RIP, doc, RIP.

Jay
kujo
Authors
Authors

Post by kujo »

Very sorry to hear this and our heart-felt condolences to Doc's family. Dr. Bhushan Sharma, a man I never met, yet had a wonderful influence on me, this forum and its' many members. :(

He must have walked through the 50 ft tall silver door - Heaven's gates. May his soul rest in peace.

kujo
gbelday

Post by gbelday »

I am so sorry to hear that. I am basically speechless right now. Can't write anything, just way too sad!
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

I am unable to write even a word on this right now and Varma has best expressed my thoughts exactly.

I will always regret that I never thought of sending him the "get well" card earlier and eventually never sent it out. But, in a cruel way, I hope he is better off where he is now. And also that how much we wish he was still and forever a part of us.

May courage and peace be with the Sharma family in this very difficult time.
ajay
Moderators
Moderators

Post by ajay »

With very heavy heart, I'm trying to write something. It is just too tough to say something right now. My condolences to Dr. Sharma's family. He has influenced so many people whom he has never met. I'm sure his charming personality that we got a glimpse through his writing must have influenced so many people who have been around him. He has given me personal support during some of my difficult times that I'm indebted forever. He has been source of inspiration for countless people and he'll be missed dearly.
May God rest his soul in peace. His spirit will always be alive in this forum.
jai_in_canada

Post by jai_in_canada »

Dear Ravi Sharma:

Thank you for thinking of us in this time of deepest sorrow to inform us of this terrible loss. My deepest heartfelt condolences to you and your family. You already know this, but you all must have done something good in your past lives to have him be your Dad, Husband, Brother, Son, Friend in this life. He is a very special spirit that will live on. I know that I will miss him terribly. I cannot imagine not being able to read another one of his gentle, thought provoking, insightful, humorous and knowledgeable posts - and most of all his Top 10 lists. Not much more that I can type right now. But I will write more soon when I gather my thoughts and emotions. My prayers are with you and your family for strength and togetherness in this most difficult time.

Jai