Woolmer was murdered??

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Woolmer was murdered??

Post by jayakris »

There was an article in DNA yesterday about the rumors in Pakistan that many think that there was more to it .. That Woolmer may have been murdered because he objected to some match-fixing that caused the Pak disaster, and that bookies may be involved.  It was hard to believe that, and I did not either, as conspiracy theories seem to emerge on anything and everything in the Muslim world ....

But now comes the news that the Police is talking of a "strong possibility" of murder -

Bob Woolmer could have been murdered, suspect police

Oh, brother.  If true, what is the cricket world coming to ??

The media may be creating a story twisting whatever the police said, though.  If so, I will remove this thread altogether.

Jay
Last edited by jayakris on Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Re: Woolmer's was murdered??

Post by jayakris »

The cricinfo article on it --
Woolmer's death 'suspicious' - police

The PCC spokesman says that there is no mention of "poisoning" and all that some reports are saying, though.

The police basically has to consider t suspicious until the conclusive final autopsy reports are in.  That may be all there is to it.

Jay
SriramP
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by SriramP »

Just heard the Pakistan team's media manager (Pervez Mir) speak on CNN-IBN that the police indeed feel the case is suspicious. May be a cautious statement by the Jamaican police being blown over the top by the media. Acc to GeoTV (Pakistani media), fingerprints were found in Woolmer's room and the team's physio and trainer are being questioned. The team apparently has been advised not to leave the hotel but the media manager confirms that no restrictions have been imposed on the players and they would play tomorrow. ICC is to hold a press conference soon.
Last edited by SriramP on Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
kujo
Authors
Authors

Post by kujo »

jayakris wrote: as conspiracy theories seem to emerge on anything and everything in the Muslim world ....
Even if you think that your statement above is true, let us not say such things in this forum. Conspiracy theories exist everywhere, even here on the forum. Remember the "slavic conspiracy", "golf contest conspiracy", etc.  :)

Thanks
-kujo
puneets

Post by puneets »

I hope its not murder.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Kujoku -- it is a fact, and in this particular case, I will stand by it too.  I won't say that happens everywhere. It does not happen as much in other places (well, perhaps it does happen in sports-india :)) ...  I am not saying it pejoratively though, because I also believe that there indeed are historical reasons that may justify the conspiracy-paranoia there.  That is an unrelated long discussion which we will take up sometime (if we are willing to tread into dangerous territory!) ... I only said it because I really do tend not to put much weight at first to such press stories from places like Pakistan and tend to wait for more to come out.  For now, we will drop the topic, but I understand why you raise the objection ...

Jay
puneets

Re: Cricket World Cup 2007 (11-29th April)

Post by puneets »

http://www.cricketworldcuplatest.com/ne ... 11728.html

According to this link, radio jamaica is saying that woolmer was strangled. Bookies might be involved.

With so much money riding on India, I feel that if India wins against SL, then some people will definitely point fingers towards this whole bookie-player nexus. 
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Hard to believe, if so.  One would think the team hotels would have very strong security arrangements etc.   His room itself would normally be near the team-mates rooms and all that.  I could imagine poisoning, but how is this kind of murder possible? ... Hope it is not true.  God, how sad, either way - a good man is gone.

Jay
Last edited by jayakris on Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Looks more and more like murder.  Broken bone and all.  Here are more details

http://www.rediff.com/wc2007/2007/mar/22woolmer.htm

R.J.
shibi

Post by shibi »

Gill Woolmer now says that murder is not ruled out. Earlier she had said "No, I don't see any conspiracy in his death". This change of stance could be because of some official information from the Coroner’s office.
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by Sandeep »

I think it is blown out of proportions. It is tough to believe that a person could break through all the security in a five star hotel and reach a player especially if he is from sub continent.
gbelday

Post by gbelday »

But is there enough security?  I haven't read many articles that say that the security was tight for the event.  Infact I hardly saw anything that mentioned tight security. 
forpar

Post by forpar »

Cricket needs a reality check - Sambit Bal article on cricinfo:
http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/ci/cont ... 86676.html
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

From Sambit's article below posted by forpar,
As an Indian, I would like India to win the World Cup. But it might not be such a bad thing for cricket if they were to be knocked out in the first round. Cricket needs a reality check. It has an unhealthy, and unsustainable, business model that relies primarily on an increasingly delusional and one-dimensional fan-base. The bubble has to burst for a semblance of sanity to be restored. We must learn to once again enjoy cricket as a game.
jai_in_canada

Post by jai_in_canada »

Organized crime is closely involved in all major sports where big money is involved.  I do not expect cricket to be an exception.  In many ways international sports like cricket are harder to police because no one country has jurisdiction.  It is tough enough to control one-nation leagues like Major League Baseball, NBA and NHL (where the Russian mafia was/is having a field day).  Too bad Woolmer paid the ultimate price - if indeed that's what happened.
Last edited by jai_in_canada on Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.