ATP Tennis/Non-India Davis Cup

General Discussion on Indian Tennis - Forums for TennisIndia.org

Moderator: Moderators

VReddy
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: ATP Tennis/Non-India Davis Cup

Post by VReddy »

I mentioned the same thing to Sameer a couple of weeks ago. For some reason, being on our forum for almost a couple of decades, I was under the same impression as you. I remember reading few posts (not sure by whom) here which indicated that.

However, after being part of ITD, he turned out to be one of the first ones to follow / support us even before we even highlighted Indian origin players. Then when I followed him, he turned out to be that perfect role model (from my perspective) of that Indian living abroad.

1. Support your country. It comes first. For Rajeev, it is USA.
2. Be proud of your roots and dont shy away
3. Take the learnings and best of both cultures

Many of the forum members here fall into similar area as Rajeev Ram in terms of seeing future in the US but are Indian born or have Indian roots. We tend to have India for the first point above (above USA) and so that may have put him in the less followed category on this forum.

If we care to follow his journey, he has been always out in the open highlighting his Indian roots, Hinduism, Spirituality and so on at every other occasion.

1. Crediting Hinduism in Olympic medal interviews for a Washington Post article: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/act ... the-court/
2. Doing fund raisers for Hindu American Foundation:
3. Highlighting Purav Raja: https://www.atptour.com/en/news/ultimat ... layer-feel
4. Writing opinion pieces in US dailies on Spirituality
jai_in_canada

Post by jai_in_canada »

^^^ Rajeev Ram seems like a very thoughtful, intelligent, kind and helpful guy. Seems to reflect on life and thinks deeply about important issues.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

VReddy wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 5:52 pm I mentioned the same thing to Sameer a couple of weeks ago. For some reason, being on our forum for almost a couple of decades, I was under the same impression as you. I remember reading few posts (not sure by whom) here which indicated that.
I actually never had the sense that he was like that. I was of the impression from quite early on that he was very Indian in nature. I had actually met him briefly a long time ago, as I was chatting with Fazaluddin (and I think Prakash Amirtaj) and he walked in and was very friendly and Indian-ish with our guys. Actually he struck me as a very friendly down-to-earth guy who was not putting on any airs to Indians or anything. I remember writing at some point when he turned down the AITA offer to play for India, that it shouldn't be held against him because he was quite a "proud of India" guy who simply felt it was wrong of him to ditch USTA that had supported him all along till then. That meshes with what you wrote above.
If we care to follow his journey, he has been always out in the open highlighting his Indian roots, Hinduism, Spirituality and so on at every other occasion.
1. Crediting Hinduism in Olympic medal interviews for a Washington Post article
2. Doing fund raisers for Hindu American Foundation
3. Highlighting Purav Raja
4. Writing opinion pieces in US dailies on Spirituality
Uh oh, just wait till the Indian Hindus hear of this. He is now a right-wing extremist Modi-supporting Muslim-hating sicnece-non-believing anachronism that believes in myths and cow urine, and uses words like "Bharat" that will tear to shreds the democratic socio-political-cultural fabric of a patch-work country called India that was totally manufactured by the Britishers out of countries that had nothing in common!
suresh

Post by suresh »

jayakris wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 3:54 am Uh oh, just wait till the Indian Hindus hear of this. He is now a right-wing extremist Modi-supporting Muslim-hating sicnece-non-believing anachronism that believes in myths and cow urine, and uses words like "Bharat" that will tear to shreds the democratic socio-political-cultural fabric of a patch-work country called India that was totally manufactured by the Britishers out of countries that had nothing in common!
No Jay. Hinduism is not the same as Hindutva.
jai_in_canada

Post by jai_in_canada »

suresh wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 4:44 am
jayakris wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 3:54 am Uh oh, just wait till the Indian Hindus hear of this. He is now a right-wing extremist Modi-supporting Muslim-hating sicnece-non-believing anachronism that believes in myths and cow urine, and uses words like "Bharat" that will tear to shreds the democratic socio-political-cultural fabric of a patch-work country called India that was totally manufactured by the Britishers out of countries that had nothing in common!
No Jay. Hinduism is not the same as Hindutva.
Jay was being tongue-in-cheek. Cuz to the left wing elitist media types it is one and the same. They will accuse Rajeev of promoting “Ram Rajya”. 🙄
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

suresh wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 4:44 amNo Jay. Hinduism is not the same as Hindutva.
I didn't say anything about Hindutva, which is just a Sanskritized word meaning "the state or quality of being a Hindu" for me and nothing else.... and I haven't bothered to read what Savarkar said about it when he hijacked the word!

I was only pointing out the reality of how somebody like Rajeev Ram in India will be pigeonholed in India!
jai_in_canada wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 4:56 amThey will accuse Rajeev of promoting “Ram Rajya”. 🙄
Ooh... Good one. Ram, Ram, Rajeev Ram! Mahan Ho Tero Nam!
jai_in_canada

Post by jai_in_canada »

jayakris wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 5:19 am Ooh... Good one. Ram, Ram, Rajeev Ram! Mahan Ho Tero Nam!
Wow! Look at you waxing lyrical in Hindi! And you said you don't know shit in Hindi. 😋 Well, I guess you still don't. 🤔
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Haha. Just like the case of shit in English, I actually don't know the word for shit in Hindi, come to think of it. At least it doesn't come to mind. No shit!
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Crazy draw in the men's singles. Nadal drawn to meet Djokovic in the SF, and the latter is drawn to meet Federer in the QF (if Federer gets that far). It is utterly asinine to make the greatest French Open player of all time the 3rd seed based on ludicrous computer rankings. Daniil Medvedev, who has never won a match in the French Open main draw, is seeded 2nd. Sometimes, the seeds based on mechanical rankings are absolutely stupid: this is one of those times.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

jayakris wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 11:18 pm Haha. Just like the case of shit in English, I actually don't know the word for shit in Hindi, come to think of it. At least it doesn't come to mind. No shit!
The word you are looking for is Tattee :D
jai_in_canada

Post by jai_in_canada »

PKBasu wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 6:32 pm Crazy draw in the men's singles. Nadal drawn to meet Djokovic in the SF, and the latter is drawn to meet Federer in the QF (if Federer gets that far). It is utterly asinine to make the greatest French Open player of all time the 3rd seed based on ludicrous computer rankings. Daniil Medvedev, who has never won a match in the French Open main draw, is seeded 2nd. Sometimes, the seeds based on mechanical rankings are absolutely stupid: this is one of those times.
Utterly asinine seedings indeed. Good chance for a NextGen to get through to the final. There's got to be a way to look at surface specific ranking points to come up with seeding. Wimbledon seems to have its own formula.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

After winning his first ATP tour title at the Emilia-Romagna Open, Sebastian Korda became the first American to lift a trophy on European clay ... With that, Kordas become the third father-son duo to win tour-level singles titles in the Open Era to join Ramanathan and Ramesh Krishnan, and Phil and Taylor Dent.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

jai_in_canada wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 6:59 am
PKBasu wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 6:32 pm Crazy draw in the men's singles. Nadal drawn to meet Djokovic in the SF, and the latter is drawn to meet Federer in the QF (if Federer gets that far). It is utterly asinine to make the greatest French Open player of all time the 3rd seed based on ludicrous computer rankings. Daniil Medvedev, who has never won a match in the French Open main draw, is seeded 2nd. Sometimes, the seeds based on mechanical rankings are absolutely stupid: this is one of those times.
Utterly asinine seedings indeed. Good chance for a NextGen to get through to the final. There's got to be a way to look at surface specific ranking points to come up with seeding. Wimbledon seems to have its own formula.
And Thiem is knocked out in R1 by Andujar -- making the "NextGen" half of the draw look even emptier. The real German Otte is giving the fake (Russian) German a scare, having taken the first couple of sets off Sasha Zverev.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

The real German Otte is giving the fake (Russian) German a scare, having taken the first couple of sets off Sasha Zverev.
PKB, in corporate US, you would be immediately sent for D&I training. :D
jai_in_canada

Post by jai_in_canada »

arjun2761 wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 6:29 pm
The real German Otte is giving the fake (Russian) German a scare, having taken the first couple of sets off Sasha Zverev.
PKB, in corporate US, you would be immediately sent for D&I training. :D
We just went through this... on May 12 .... on this very thread. And yet here we are again. 😏 Oh, well.