Vijay Singh thread

All posts regarding specific golfers and golfer threads are in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Kumar
Authors
Authors

Vijay Singh thread

Post by Kumar »

Wasn't sure if I should start a separate thread... But couldn't find a appropriate thread under which i should post this topic..

I was watching the Golf channel and I caught the fag end of Vijay's press conference and he was venting his full steam at the media, how they misconstrue what he says. So if any of you guys watched the Press conference, what was your feeling about the whole deal. The commentators were infact comparing him to Barry bonds with regards to his relationship with media and were saying he is lock for Hall of fame.

Anyway Vijay singh wins the tournament by 4 strokes ahead of Tiger and is leading woods by around 250000. With highly publicised bad blood between Vijay and Tiger, this should be fun to watch.

Race is on !!!!
BSharma
Authors
Authors
Please enter the middle number: 1

Vijay Singh

Post by BSharma »

Vijay Singh and the media do not get along at all. It started when Vijay Singh started playing in the PGA Tour and did very well in his first year. Yet the media would only talk about his one tournament in Asia where he was forced to withdraw because of allegation of cheating in the 1980s(wrong score on the card for one hole). However hard Vijay tries to put this incident behind him the media likes to bring it up. Hence he does not go out of his way to please the press. He meets the media for the mandatory meeting at the tournaments but otherwise keeps away from the sports writers. It has cost him a lot of endorsement because there are few articles written about him unless he wins a tournament.

Vijay is a very nice guy and a devoted family person. He has come to my home town a few times to play in the US Open, PGA tournament and the PGA Tour Championship, and anyone who gets close to him comes away impressed with him. He is known for practising harder and longer than the other golfers and he has a beautiful swing when he hits the ball.

He has been to India and played a skins game in Haryana along with a couple of Indian golfers and a cricketer (cricketer :eek: ). He spoke about his Indian heritage during his visit to India.
nkoth

Vijay Singh

Post by nkoth »

Don't forget the other big controversy he recently found himself in, publicly saying he was opposed to Annika Sorenstam playing in the Colonial last May.

He says his comments were taken out of context, but really -- why did he say anything at all? It's fine to have unpopular or unsympathetic views -- just keep them to yourself! ;) The fact that he already was not a media darling made him an easier target when he made the Sorenstam comment.

BTW, even Martina Navratilova entered the fray, calling Singh a "wuss."

Regardless, Singh is now #2 in the world golf rankings, an incredible feat indeed.

-neil
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Vijay Singh

Post by Kumar »

I guess he need to work on his media skills. I don't know if you guys had a chance to see the press conference, I wish i had seen the full press conference.

He was saying something to the effect, he doesnt feel comfortable giving one on one interviews with media becoz they tend to misinterpret a lot .. He said if he is not comfortable, thatz bad for media, becoz he won't give any interviews He also said that this is true of other sports too.

Infact they made the comment how Tiger should be paired with Vijay Singh during the presidents cup. Though I haven't seen Vijay do well in match play, that should be an interesting match.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Vijay Singh

Post by BSharma »

Does Vijay Singh need a media consultant? Definitely yes. He would make a ton of more money from endorsements if he is more likable to the press. The media can make or break someone's career.

The past experiences has made Vijay so paranoid about the press that he usually comes across in a wrong way even if he does not mean it. The media has fun with it and Vijay is made to look worse than he is. This is my opinion. He is a very nice guy who just does not like the press and makes no bone about it. Getting a media consultant will help him immensely.

He is great match play player also.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Vijay Singh

Post by BSharma »

For those who are interested in reading more what the writers are saying about Vijay Singh, here are some of the links:

The game but not the fame; Singh remains underrated, but who's at fault?
http://www.golfdigest.com/newsandtour/w ... sirak.html

In Search of Vijay Singh
http://www.thegolfchannel.com/core.aspx ... &select2=0
ajay
Moderators
Moderators

Vijay Singh

Post by ajay »

Vijay Singh made a good move up the leaderboard and positioned himself on 3. He has placed himself in a position to win the tournament and the money title. Go Vijay!!
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Vijay Singh

Post by BSharma »

I hope Vijay becomes the top money maker in US PGA this year. He will never win the PGA Player of the Year award unless he wins a couple of majors and more tournaments that Tiger in a single year.

Go Vijay.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Vijay Singh

Post by Kumar »

Vijay couldn't close the deal today .. He has to finish in the top 3 to ensure that he wins the money title or hope that Tiger doesnt win the championship.

He has a lead of around 768,494 over Tiger for now ..
gvhvhg

Vijay Singh

Post by gvhvhg »

oh.so i see there is a seperate thread for Vijay.....u can lock mne if u plz..

So how indian is he?
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Vijay Singh

Post by BSharma »

gvhvhg, I do not know how "Indian" is Vijay Singh. From what I have heard or read about him, he grew up in Fiji but spent a number of years playing and giving golf lessons in south-east Asia. He now lives in Florida, and from what I have heard he does not visit Fiji often after the coup that took place some years back. He has been to India and spoke to the media about his Indian roots. Did it come from his heart or was he simply trying to play to the media?
ajay
Moderators
Moderators

Vijay Singh

Post by ajay »

I read about Vijay Singh that he knows and he can speak the Hindi language. I also remember reading about him that he went out of his way to meet Indian golfers Jyoti, Atwal and others in one of the tournaments in Asia. After that only his plans to visit India were up in the air. He has to selve his original plan of playin skins tournament in India when he got injured. But later on he could finally visit India.

HE dosen't have any strong bonds with India and that is obvious too as you loose ties after few generation. But how curious he is for India, probably not many people may know.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Vijay Singh

Post by Kumar »

Guys any idea how many generations since his ancestors moved to FIJI. As far as his feelings for India are concerned, I don't think he has great affinity for india (may be just curious about his indian roots) Being the only indian name on the PGA tour (that too consistent on week/week basis), he has single handedly turned me from GoLF hater to avid Golf watcher.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Vijay Singh

Post by BSharma »

Kumar, I could not find any information about when Vijay Singh's family moved to Fiji but here is a link to an article published about him when he visited India. You can make your own inference after reading it if he is genuine or not about his love for India. Until I find evidence that he does not like India or Indians, I am going to believe that what he said about India is true.
he has single handedly turned me from GoLF hater to avid Golf watcher. - Kumar
How true, Kumar!

My roots are in India: Vijay Singh By Qaiser Mohammad Ali