Career Path for Aspiring Tennis Players (Article)

General Discussion on Indian Tennis - Forums for TennisIndia.org

Moderator: Moderators

jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Career Path for Aspiring Tennis Players (Article)

Post by jaydeep »

Nice couple of articles by Devinder Singh Bhusari on his site.

On the Serve - The Most (Over-emphasised) Important Stroke in Tennis

On Return of the Serve - The Most (Neglected) Important Stroke in Tennis
nszssk
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Nathan Mclain | Tennis Expert and Coach

Post by nszssk »

http://nathanmclaintennis.com/
Nathan McLain has competed professionally and provided tennis lessons and coaching for professional athletes within the sport. His knowledge, dedication, and experience with both playing and coaching tennis has made him one of the leading authorities on tennis technique development and improvement.

His coaching methods mimic those he has utilized to win in competitions with other seasoned and strong athletes. These coaching techniques include focusing and development the elements which Mr. McLain feels are strongly needed to ensure success while playing on the field, such as:

Increasing muscle strength to drive the ball faster and smoother without causing injury to the player.
Adapting the mindset of the player to each individual game and learning, analyzing, and exploiting the anticipated moves of opponents.
Helping players understand the strategies behind tennis and how to both emulate the styles of successful players while also developing their own.
Addressing the common problems and weaknesses of players and helping them adjust and learn to avoid these problems and weaknesses.
Teaching players the fundamentals of the game and ensuring that their ultimate success comes from a strong understanding of the game and how to play it to ensure they have the maximum advantages on their side.

Please explore the rest of this website to learn more about Nathan McLain and how he can help transform you into a tennis playing
superstar.
Peter

Post by Peter »

Junior Tennis: Is it a boondoggle? (blog post)

Realistic, unnerving post about the struggles involved in raising a tennis player. It ends on an upbeat note. Financial struggles aside, the game provides so many intangibles.
himanee

Post by himanee »

How much would it cost to put a tennis court in our backyard? We are currently doing construction on our backyard and my parents were wondering about putting in a tennis court for me. What would the prices be for a cement court? How about an asphalt court?
gbelday

Post by gbelday »

Excellent article. Thanks for sharing, Peter. I struggle(d) with some of the same questions but very early into my son's tennis days, I realized that my goals should be modest (considering the genes that he inherited :)). He loves tennis, is always the first one on the court and I want him to continue to have fun (he turns 9 next week). If he is still playing 5 years from now, our job is done! If he makes it to his high school team, that would be icing on the cake :) And yes, those costs kill you!
akmohanty

Post by akmohanty »

Does anyone know a good tennis coaching center in Houston?
Peter

Post by Peter »

Futures tennis events - where the umpires are paid more than the tennis pros

What we regulars on the forum already know. It really is painful to be a journeyman in this day and age.
Peter

Post by Peter »

The high cost of a labour of love

by Sam Groth, (currently ATP #257)
gbelday

Post by gbelday »

Thanks, Peter! Not to undermine his struggles but it's even tougher to be an Indian player and succeed on the tour (visas, currency exchange rate, lack of sponsorships, very few local tournaments etc). I admire our guys who struggle day in and out (doesn't include our famous doubles players :))..
Peter

Post by Peter »

Gautam, The widening gulf between the top 100 (closer to 100 and barely eking it out) and the lower level players on the tour is alarming. Why does the US open winner get $1.9 M while the winner of a Futures event gets just ~$2,250?

Tennis interest in the USA peaked in the early 1980s and has been on the decline ever since. Competition is fierce especially as one makes the transition from the recreational play to the academy level. But the major sports (Football, Baseball, Basketball) and even the second tier sports leave Tennis way behind.

Both you and i have kids in the Juniors and know the struggles. It is a long road ahead but the intangibles
  • Character development
    Dealing with adversity / Rebounding from losses
    Overcoming fears and instilling confidence
    Health benefits
make it worthwhile. It certainly is easier here in the US, but a labor of love nevertheless. There has also been an uptick in the number of emerging players in India but it is still likely an elite sport back there. Would be happy to be proven wrong.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Peter and Gautam, I am very interested in hearing about the coaching / training undertaken by your kids (if you don't mind).. i have some friends/family who have kids just starting out.. i will like to understand the effort involved
gbelday

Post by gbelday »

Peter wrote: It is a long road ahead but the intangibles
  • Character development
    Dealing with adversity / Rebounding from losses
    Overcoming fears and instilling confidence
    Health benefits
make it worthwhile. It certainly is easier here in the US, but a labor of love nevertheless. There has also been an uptick in the number of emerging players in India but it is still likely an elite sport back there. Would be happy to be proven wrong.
I couldn't agree with you more, Peter! Sorry didn't see this reply until now. Kumar, I'll send you a PM.
tennisvijay08

Reg: Tennis

Post by tennisvijay08 »

when i was young ,my dream is to become tennis professional player.i am a poor person.i knew ‘only rich people play tennis’ . so i thought to start my tennis career after getting the job .i did engineering.i got a job.now i am working as a software
engineer.now I want to start my professional tennis career.i want to become tennis professional player.i never payed tennis
tournaments ever before.how can i start my tennis career.what
rules&regulations should I follow.after registration in ITF and AITA , am i eligible to play all
tennis tournaments in the world.if yes,please
send tournaments details list.i want to play wimbledon,us open
tournaments etc.what should i do.what steps should i follow(take).i am
24 years old man.if age is the barrier.please specify the age
limits. Martina Navratilova played professional tennis at the age 50..so please send the details to tennisvijay08@gmal.com.i am awaiting for ur reply.
munnabhai

Re: Reg: Tennis

Post by munnabhai »

I'll take the bullet for the team this time ya'll...

Vijay,

I am sorry to be the one telling you this, it is practically impossible for you to start learning tennis at the age of 24 and become a professional tennis player. Mainly because tennis is a very technical sport which will take a long time (close to 15 years) for the average person to learn to play at the professional level. That means for 15 years you will have to play tennis and work out 6 hours a day with the help of great coaching staff. Even then, it is not guaranteed that you will be in the top 1000 in the world.

The chances of you becoming a professional tennis player is 1/1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000. If you want to test yourself out go for it brother, in case you do make it to the pros let me know so I can follow you around the tour with a poster which reads "Impossible is nothing".

If you are really that passionate about tennis, I would just start learning it and playing it. Do your best and learn everything you can, just give it your everything. In case you don't make it to the professional circuit, at least your kids will look up to the fact that their dad is a VERY good tennis player and may be they will aspire to become pros. When you have kids, start them young at the age of 4 (no I am not joking).

In regards to Martina Navratilova, yes she played doubles tennis until she was 50 but keep in mind that she probably started playing tennis at the age of 5-8 years old. That means she has played tennis every day for 42-45 years. That is a very long time my friend. Anyways, good luck with your passion for tennis I sincerely hope you make it.

-Munna

P.S A part of me just died, for telling this chap that his dream is almost impossible. :damn:
gbelday

Post by gbelday »