Post by jayakris »

That is some run by Praneeth! Whoa...
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: BWF World Championships 2019

Post by jaydeep »

Yes and with that, Sindhu equals the record of legendary Zhang Ning by winning 5th medal-the most at the BWF World Championships after beating Tai Tzu Ying, 12-21 23-21 21-19, to enter in the semis ... Sindhu will win her 5th medal in 6 appearances.
Sai also creates history with his win against Jonatan Christie, becoming the first Indian male shuttler after 36 years to assure a medal at the BWF World Championships since Prakash Padukone last did it in 1983.

At TOTAL BWF World Championships 2019, Basel, Switzerland (Grade 1 - Individual Tournaments)

[QF] (16) Sai Praneeth B. (IND,19) bt (4) Jonatan Christie (INA,4) 24-22 21-14

[QF] (5) Pusarla V. Sindhu (IND,5) bt (2) Tzu Ying Tai (TPE,2) 12-21 23-21 21-19

[SF] (16) Sai Praneeth B. (IND,19) vs (1) Kento Momota (JPN,1)

[SF] (5) Pusarla V. Sindhu (IND,5) vs (4) Yu Fei Chen (CHN,3)
srini

Post by srini »

I almost gave up on following our badminton on TV until again the singles players started punching above their weight in this world championship. For me it looks like the stint with the recently hired women’s coach Kim ji Hyun has brought some positive results. In a badminton forum I follow they were saying Sindhu added lot of variations to her repertoire. Got to understand the Korean coach though hired exclusively for women , also chips in with lot of suggestions for Men’s players also as it’s the same Gachibowli complex they both use. In badminton a lot depends on the coach as they are allowed to interact with players in the game break periods unlike Tennis. So coaches ate the brain behind several outcomes and deserve a lot more credit than what is given now. 2017 was a break away year in terms of super series won for players since Mulyo Handoyo was coaching then. Gopi becomes cry baby when things are not working but takes all credit when any good happens. Just last week he was preparing public for an empty medal return but will now forget all that and will try to show domineering attitude towards foreign coaches which will make them leave.
https://www.espn.in/badminton/story/_/i ... -gopichand
I think he can only take badminton to a certain level which he also knows, it will be good for Indian badminton if we can put in a system that can reward the coaches like Mulyo and lets them work with autonomy which would ensure they don’t leave. Indian players have always been at their best working with Indonesians. Hopefully some Indonesians and koreans will be the driving force for an Olympic medal that looks unlikely under Gopi stewardship
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by sameerph »

Excellent day for us. Sai Praneeth became the first Indian male player in 28 years since Prakash Padukone reaching SF of a world championships. Big breakthru for him here. He has been having good results this year and this one really towers above all those results.

We should really now put Praneeth among our outside medal hopefuls and remove Srikanth from there.

Sindhu of course once again reiterate as how a big tournament player she is. Fifth world championship medal for her.

That is why I said we should not remove her from our top medal prospect even if she does not perform well in other tournaments.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Agree with srini on Gopi.

Typical problem in Indian sports. We see the same in cricket with Kohli/Dhoni.

People who have contributed to the sport try to run the sport as a dictatorship destroying what they built in the process.

Sindhu keeps her spot as one of our best medal hopefuls at the OG. BSP can replace Srikanth, another win tomorrow and he can move up a spot as well.
depleter

Post by depleter »

And Sindhu demolishes Chen yu fei 21-7 21-14 to move into the finals

[SF] (5) Pusarla V. Sindhu (IND,5) bt (4) Yu Fei Chen (CHN,3) 21-7 21-14

Now onto Praneeth against the world no 1 Momoto. Momoto is very fast on court and has only faltered in last year or 2 against players who has pace which matches him like ginting. But Praneeth is slower than them especially because of larger build. Praneeth has won over Ginting with his one hit smashes because of Ginting's weak defence but Momoto has one of the best or may be the best defence currently on the circuit. So, it will be interesting to see with what game plan would they go against Momoto.
srini

Post by srini »

I think Sai Praneeth has already over achieved in this tournament and stands no chance with Momota. I wish SP makes me eat my words but very unlikely
depleter

Post by depleter »

srini wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:37 am I think Sai Praneeth has already over achieved in this tournament and stands no chance with Momota. I wish SP makes me eat my words but very unlikely
Yeah, Sai Praneeth struggled even against Jonathan Christie yesterday when he was defending amazingly. Doubt he will overcome Momoto.
srini

Post by srini »

Sai Praneeth has a lazy elegance in cricketing terms the way we used to say about classic cricket batsman like VVS, Inzamam ul haq etc.He can be the most text book player among his Indian peers but sadly cricket snd badminton also moved away from the classic age to one where only brute force and relentless pursuit until opponent makes errors prevails. Sai did start adapting to the reality but at age of 27 he can be already called a late bloomer at maximum, hope he can make the best out of this late bloom
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Sindhu scored a dominating win over Yu Fei for entering the third consecutive World Championships final ... In the final, she is facing her regular nemesis Nozomi Okuhara ... Okuhara defeated her for the World Championships title in 2017, but last year, Sindhu defeated her in the semi-final ... So interesting match up.

Sai Praneeth ended with a bronze at the World Championship as in the semis, Momota proved too strong for Sai Praneeth ... Still, a creditable performance by Sai Praneeth to win a bronze.

At TOTAL BWF World Championships 2019, Basel, Switzerland (Grade 1 - Individual Tournaments)

[SF] (16) Sai Praneeth B. (IND,19) l (1) Kento Momota (JPN,1) 13-21 8-21

[F] (5) Pusarla V. Sindhu (IND,5) vs (3) Nozomi Okuhara (JPN,4)
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Sindhu wins the first game 21-7 against Okuhra. Brilliant play by her so far.
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

What was turning out to be a bad year for Indian badminton is now its best ever. Congrats Sindhu
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Yes, Sindhu becomes our first badminton world champion. :bounce: :bounce:

[F] (5) Pusarla V. Sindhu (IND,5) d. (3) Nozomi Okuhara (JPN,4) 21-7 21-7

Absolute demolition of a player whom she had struggled to put across earlier.
ankit1407

Post by ankit1407 »

Sindhu ; absolute legend ... congratulations on a well deserved world title ...
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

The greatest Indian sportswoman of all time?

What a dominant win. Five world championship medals — 2 bronze, 2 silver and now 1 gold. She is an absolute legend who knows how to peak at the right time. Wow :dance: :notworthy: