India in Australia, 2020-21

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: India in Australia, 2020-21

Post by PKBasu »

Kumar wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:10 pm Shastri I felt has been the most selfish cricketer ! Still remember the jokes that Shastriplayed the entire 85 world championships with an eye on Audi! The channel 9 used to show Audi every time he hit a boundary or took a wicket

Shastri definitely has the cricketing brain though! Somehow he finds himself always in the right place every time! One of the luckiest cricketer, definitely some of it rubbed off our cricketers during the last two matches
:-) Good one! Shastri, to our chagrin, always managed to end up in the right place at the right time.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

So, we managed to kick Wade out of the Australian team. I thought we had done the same with Harris but I think they are considering him afresh after his good form in the Shield. Harris record is worse than Bancroft's. But, Bancroft has the baggage I suppose. The Aussies will most possibly open with Warner and Pucovski. It is interesting that they did not have Jhye Richardson in the squad and instead had Nesser and Abbott. I would have had Jhye in the test squad. I think Starc is overrated. They are sending two squads to New Zealand and to RSA but I would have thought that you send the best team to RSA. But, there is some logic to wanting a young bowler to bowl in T20Is and so on in New Zealand instead of having him warm the bench in RSA. I am very high on Jhye (rhyme intended).
rajitghosh
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by rajitghosh »

Kumar wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:10 pm Shastri I felt has been the most selfish cricketer ! Still remember the jokes that Shastriplayed the entire 85 world championships with an eye on Audi! The channel 9 used to show Audi every time he hit a boundary or took a wicket

Shastri definitely has the cricketing brain though! Somehow he finds himself always in the right place every time! One of the luckiest cricketer, definitely some of it rubbed off our cricketers during the last two matches
The '85 tournament didn't consider strike rates. Else Shasti stood no chance of winning the Audi. In terms of sheer impact Siva, Kapil and Srikanth in that order won us that event with others like Azhar, Binny and Madan pitching in and Vishwanath doing a great job behind the stumps. Shastri managed to score a few runs at snail's pace and took a few wickets and won the Audi. That's it.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Interview with Gill explaining his Gabba knock

https://www.hindustantimes.com/cricket/ ... 87630.html
"He and Cummins were bowling short at us and my idea was to attack Starc. If you go back and watch that innings again, you will notice that not once did I pull Cummins. The pull shots were off Starc, keeping in mind the shorter square boundary from that side. I felt that even if I got a top edge, it would clear the fielders and get me boundaries because he was bowling at good pace. The end from which Cummins was bowling had a much bigger boundary, so I told myself to only attempt the pull shot against Starc and leave the short balls from Cummins alone. The idea was to hit every bouncer that Starc sent down, and it paid off for me that day."
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

rajitghosh wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:44 am

The '85 tournament didn't consider strike rates. Else Shasti stood no chance of winning the Audi. In terms of sheer impact Siva, Kapil and Srikanth in that order won us that event with others like Azhar, Binny and Madan pitching in and Vishwanath doing a great job behind the stumps. Shastri managed to score a few runs at snail's pace and took a few wickets and won the Audi. That's it.
And in doing so won us the WCC. Sorry, I am not a Shastri fan but I also do not like revisionism. Shastri played exceptionally well in the matches against Australia, New Zealand, and Pakistan keeping one end up and bowling tightly. These were the last three matches. If I recall correctly we chased low scores in all of them because our bowling was superb aided by the stellar keeping of Sadanand Vishwanath, which was a treat to watch. In all of these Shastri held one side up, dealt the hostile bowling of Imran, etc. and made sure we won. Without him we do not win the WCC. When you are chasing 160, 170, 200 which were roughly the scores at the WCC, then the SR does not matter. Shastri did not dig us a deep hole that we could not recover from.

It was the norm then to be slow at the beginning and then hit. Shastri laid the foundation so that Azhar could hit in the final. Srikkanth was going at a SR of 87 at the other end. So, it was great that he kept his wicket in the final. I do not remember if they had power plays at the beginning overs then. Thus, the strategy was to see off the ball and he did that.

Overall, Shastri was so so with the bat. In that Srikkanth was perhaps our star batsman in that tournament. Gavaskar, Kapil, Azhar, and Vengsarkar were all in good form and batted well.

On the bowling side, Binny, Madanlal, Kapil, Chetan, and Siva were fantastic. Binny was a tad expensive but got wickets.

At the end, they put his batting and bowling contributions together and he came out ahead. Either with the bat or with the ball alone, there were many who were much better than him.