India in New Zealand 2020

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

Atithee

Re: India in New Zealand 2020

Post by Atithee »

Kohli is a sore loser. His conduct in general is unbecoming of a leader.
ankit1407
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by ankit1407 »

We are far from #1 team , unless they throw out Shastri and cut wings of Kohli nothing is going to improve .. his behavior in general is pathetic ; show aggression and score runs when team needs and not in acting like a loser ...a well deserved thrashing by Kiwis..
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

Well, the record does not lie. If it is in NZ, we are not the #1 team, NZ is. Overall, we are. Because nobody really wins abroad among the top-tier countries. The numbers do not lie.

We need to have horses for courses. We need to identify the batsmen and bowlers who are likely to be successful in Australia and another set who are likely to be successful in England. We need new blood in the middle-order. Enough with Rahane's failures in SENA. We need to get a leggie who can spin the ball on pitches that do not offer assistance to spinners. At least for Australia.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

We may be #1 in the rankings but we aren't necessarily the best team since the ranking is based on who you have played and where.

In a tennis analogy, you could be ranked #1 but not win any of the majors and such a #1 is often not the best player. In fact, you could argue that Serena is actually better than most of the players ranked above her simply because she plays far fewer tournaments than those ranked above her.
Sin Hombre
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Sin Hombre »

This was the worst series for us in this era.

We have competed everywhere else. England and SA series, we were competitive and would have won if we had some luck with the tosses.

This was terrible. Time to get rid of Kohli and Shastri.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Kohli the captain or Kohli the team member?
indiansportsfan

Post by indiansportsfan »

Agree with the sentiment on Shastri, but removing Kohli seems really kneejerk. Whom would you replace him with? There's nobody else who commands a guaranteed spot in the lineup. What I think is that it is high time we got rid of Rahane, and also get the nextgen trio of Shaw, Gill and Iyer. Don't have any faith in Vihari either.
Last edited by indiansportsfan on Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

arjun2761 wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:34 pm We may be #1 in the rankings but we aren't necessarily the best team since the ranking is based on who you have played and where.
In other words, based on evidence of who you have played and where, we did the best. More specifically, in the last x years, we have performed the best. That is how the formula works. In the last three years, we played different teams. The first two years count at 50% and the last year counts at 100%. That is a fact.

Instead of shouting we are not #1, what I want some of the naysayers to tell me who is #1 and what is the objective measure that they used to come to that conclusion. Then, we can debate about the ICC's system and theirs. How do you determine the best team? What does the best team mean to you?

General bloviating is cheap. If your conjecture is sound, just show me the evidence.

I agree on taking Shaw, Gill, Iyer. I would keep Vihari for one more series in Australia. He either scores and survives. Or he is chucked out for the England tour. I have had enough of Rahane's crap. Succeeding only in WI in the last five years among abroad tours is not a good sign.