Test series 2016 (in WI; then hosting, BD, NZ, England)

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Test series 2016 (in WI; then hosting, BD, NZ, England)

Post by PKBasu »

I agree, Samarth, Karun Nair is now the incumbent for the next test, and Rahane will have to stay in the reserves until a place opens up for him. The only way he could play is in Vijay's place.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Ashwin has an uphill battle to emulate Chandra's series record of 35 test wickets today (or even Vinoo Mankad's mark of 34 that held before Chandra broke it). But he achieved an even rarer feat in this series, becoming only the fifth all rounder to get 300 runs and more than 25 wickets in a test series. Ian Botham in his fabled 1981 series against Australia, and Richie Benaud, are the only others to achieve it in the modern era.
:notworthy:
Sin Hombre
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Sin Hombre »

Rahane is our 2nd best test batsman and our best slip fielder, he will start for obvious reasons.

Parthiv already drops Cook :puke:
Prashant

Post by Prashant »

Sin Hombre wrote:Rahane is our 2nd best test batsman and our best slip fielder, he will start for obvious reasons.

I agree with both contentions about Rahane, but I am still unsure if he will get his spot back.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Varma wrote:BTW...Congratulations to your region, Jay!
Not region. Precisely the small town. His family is from just a mile away from where I am from. My dad was all elated, though he doesn't know them. His parents left Kerala for work, but apparently they do still visit often. Karun was there recently to do a "vazhipAdu" (offering) at the AranmuLa temple (the same place where I had my "ezhutthinirutthu" - writing the letters for the first time, at a small age). The temple is actually famous because of the "palliyODam"s (original snake-boats) that come with around 50 people each, from some 30 odd villages along the Pampa river (the same river that another 50-75 km upstream comes from the famous Sabarimala temple up in the hills/forest). The villagers in the boats visit the ParthasAradhi deity at the temple once a year and do a non-competitive "competition" race. There is a whole set of vaLLappATTu devotional songs that they sing on the way to the temple (I still know a few of those). Doing a feast for those who come by boats is a sacred offering at the temple. You need to book it way in advance and all that. It's this offering that Karun had done recently, as per newspapers. Turns out that it was in the same week that my sister did one at the same temple too. These are all sweet things for me, because the house where I was born was right by the Pampa river, about a mile downstream of where his family is, with our village's snake-boat sitting right in our property... To know that a guy with that kind of family background went and hit a triple century against the piddly island, is kinda stunning for me! Here is the Malayala Manorama picture of his grandma, aunt and others watching the test on TV at Chengannur! - http://www.manoramaonline.com/news/spor ... house.html
ssp

Post by ssp »

Day 5 not going too well as no wickets in the first session. 3-4 chances created and 2 bad dropped catches. Can't see us taking 10 wickets in the time remaining.
Abish arul

Post by Abish arul »

pathetic captaincy from kohli he should have kept the attacking field placement for the first hour of play :damn: and as usual garbage keeping from parthiv :mad:
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Yes, I have to concede that Parthiv is clearly a worse 'keeper than Saha, and probably a worse 'keeper-batsman. (He is much the better batsman, of course).
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Lovely post, Jay! Love the photo of the family watching their kid blaze to glory from their home near your family's abode.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Lively post-lunch session, with Jadeja taking 3 wickets and 1 superb catch to bring the match alive. Six more wickets needed in 36 overs -- unlikely unless Ashwin starts firing soon.
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by Sandeep »

5 wickets for Jadeja and one stunning catch to dismiss Bairstow. What a cricketer. England 193/6

Update 1

196/7, beautiful googly from Amit Misra. One of the best exponents of that delivery. Superb delivery to get rid of Liam Dawson
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

That was indeed the perfect flighted googly, bowling Dawson through the gate. There are few better sights for a bowler than that! (Mishra has bowled too few googlies though: that was his first of the innings).
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by Sandeep »

I thought Virat Kohli made a mistake by taking the new ball, but first ball Rashid gone. England 200/8
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by Sandeep »

Done deal, India won the test and series 4-0. What a performance from Ravindra Jadeja, 7 wickets on a flat/dead wicket. He is my man of the match, hope the jury doesn't get carried away by the triple century
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by Sandeep »

Mediocre performance from England team. I hope they do a little better for ODIs