Indian Premier League (IPL)

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

Atithee

Re: Indian Premier League (IPL)

Post by Atithee »

I’m not a big fan of IPL, so no comments. IPL is a made for TV spectacle, fleecing the sheeple. Pun not intended. I don’t read much into IPL performances.
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

Got it. :-) I wasn't a big fan either. But, the last two years, I have been paying some attention because it seems our domestic is very weak. And, we have a T20 WC at home which I suppose we want to win. So, this is the best way to figure out who can cut it. Until now, the stars have been Shaw and Padikkal imho. Samson too but he does the usual fade ...
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Jadeja has been a star too. I’ve less confidence in Shaw’s consistency than Paddikal. Remember I had advocated for him a month ago but you weren’t convinced. We just need to give the youth a chance. Ditch the old guard. I guarantee you that they won’t disappoint.

The worry is the bowlers. No one even comes to mind readily unless I want to look at stats.

P.S. our domestic is weak only because our divas are somehow given a pass from playing. Nowhere else do the regulars miss the domestics in the rest of the world. It’s a shame.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Padikkal is more consistent but a tad slower than Shaw. Yes, Jadeja has been quite good in this IPL too as well as the last one if I recall correctly.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

So after 7 rounds and an extra game, the batting leaderboard (qual: 100 runs, 25 avg., 140 SR; sorted by SR):

Rayudu, Shaw, Jadeja, Padikkal, Samson, Mayank

If you drop the SR requirement to 135 the next in line are:

Karthik, Rahul, Tripathi, Dhawan

If you drop it to 128, you get

Pant and Rohit

Good to see that Rayudu is back. Hope it continues rather than being a short-term thing. Shaw and Padikkal have been about the same wrt consistency this IPL with Shaw being faster. Samson actually has been rather more consistent than either albeit a bit slower. What else does Mayank have to do to get a fair run in T20Is?
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

In my eyes, (note I have a bias towards wicket-takers), the two standout bowlers have been Avesh Khan and Rahul Chahar. DLC has done decently too. I hope these three get some games before the WC. We need a leggie and let's throw RC in. He will also get some games in the initial rounds, which hopefully we should win. Knowing Kohli, RC is possibly going to be blocked by Sir Ravindra because they spin the ball the same way. But, they are different bowlers. RJ is a restrictive bowler while RC is a more attacking bowler useful when you need wickets to dent the MO. Well, at least RC should be in the squad and not Chahal. Kuldeep is perhaps a gone case.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

IPL got its first positive case. There are some rumors floating around that it will be shifted to Mumbai.
indiansportsfan

Post by indiansportsfan »

prasen9 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:27 am In my eyes, (note I have a bias towards wicket-takers), the two standout bowlers have been Avesh Khan and Rahul Chahar. DLC has done decently too. I hope these three get some games before the WC. We need a leggie and let's throw RC in. He will also get some games in the initial rounds, which hopefully we should win. Knowing Kohli, RC is possibly going to be blocked by Sir Ravindra because they spin the ball the same way. But, they are different bowlers. RJ is a restrictive bowler while RC is a more attacking bowler useful when you need wickets to dent the MO. Well, at least RC should be in the squad and not Chahal. Kuldeep is perhaps a gone case.
Harshal Patel has more wickets btw than Avesh Khan, but Avesh Khan bowls much faster I believe; and so likely has higher chances of success in the international arena. I would be very disappointed if Avesh and Rahul were both not rewarded with India caps in the next outing. Chahal and Kuldeep need to sort out their issues in the domestics. With Avesh and Rahul bowling so well and backing up Bumrah, Jadeja, Deepak Chahar/Bhuvi and Axar, our bowling stocks suddenly don't look so bad any more (while still not top class by any means).
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

The IPL has been suspended "indefinitely", and Brijesh Patel says it will certainly not resume in May -- which means that it's unlikely to resume before mid-September (the end of India's tour of England). Varun Chakravarthy and one other KKR player tested positive first, then Wriddhiman Saha (who plays for Hyderabad) has also tested positive. With the bio-bubble thus burst, it was decided that the IPL would have to be "postponed".

https://www.news18.com/cricketnext/news ... 05176.html
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

ISP, I know Harshal has taken the most wicket and is good wrt average but he leaks runs like a 50 year old car leaks oil.

Among those that took 7 wickets at least, here are the leaders over and above Avesh and RCha:

Harshal 15.11@9.17, Shami 29.25@8.16, MPK 30@9.16, Arshdeep 21.42@8.18, Varun 31.28@7.82.

Harshall and Prasidh Krishna are very wayward. Prasidh was a dud wrt taking wickets too. Varun kept it tight but could not take wickets either. If anything, Arshdeep seems interesting to try.

Thakur was horrible too.

Given that we do not have very many good bowlers, I would rather have: Bumrah, Bhuvi/DLC, Hardik, Jadeja, RCha. Maybe Sundar if you want someone who spins the other way. Unfortunately, not very many strike bowlers. I hope DLC and RC pan out.

Kumar had a horrible IPL 57@9.1, Thakur 53@10.33 !!! If it were only on the basis of the IPL, both would be dropped. But, I suppose Kumar should have quite some goodwill in the bank and I suspect Thakur will be kept too. Given we need a left-hander for variety, I would groom/try Arshdeep.

In the five matches we may have before the WC, I'd try: Avesh, Arshdeep, Hardik, RCha, Sundar. I want Hardik and Sundar to gain some form and RCha to gain some experience. Maybe throw in Varun too if he is fit enough.
indiansportsfan

Post by indiansportsfan »

Arshdeep is a very good prospect; but I think he needs some more time at the domestic level. He has played very little domestic cricket. At least he should be tried in India A matches first.
Regarding Thakur, while I think his all-round skills and his ability to swing the ball make him a very good prospect for overseas Tests and for ODIs, he is not the right choice for T20s. He is too expensive in T20s and his batting skills are not that useful, since tailenders hardly get much batting time in T20s. However all-round skills become more important for longer formats (absolutely vital for overseas Tests IMO, in home Tests our frontline batsmen are usually able to accomplish the job)
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

I fail to see what has Hardik done to be such a certainty. He is the diva in real sense that needs to be shown the mirror.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

ISP, agree. When I mean a youngster should be given chances usually I mean it should be in the India-A team. But, now, if the A-team is not there and the T20 world cup happens, then I would be fine trying him in the 4-5 matches we have before the WC to find out and build depth just in case we have injuries, COVID-outs, etc.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

There is some talk of the IPL shifting entirely to England for the rest of the season. I think this would be a splendid idea (a number of counties are bidding to play host), and help prepare the Indian test side in English conditions well before the World Test Championship final. BCCI should take up the offer.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

I’m stunned about the continued discussion on IPL. Especially in this forum. Olympics too, but I can accept that a bit.

India is in the throes of an unparalleled disaster, and we have the gall to figure out where to host IPL? Seriously?

Sad!