Indian Boxing Thread

All other sports such as squash, badminton,volleyball, atheletics etc which are not covered by any other forum heading can be entered in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

Sin Hombre
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Indian Boxing Thread

Post by Sin Hombre »

indiansportsfan wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:35 pm Looking at the performances here, I would seriously doubt a medal, unless we get very lucky with the draws again. Also Manju Rani may get shut out of an opportunity, since medal winners at these championships get automatic entry to the Olympic qualifiers. Same holds true for Shiva Thapa in 63 kg men's.
Agree with your sentiment with Mary but done the minimal research with Lovleen. Why do think she got lucky?

Based on performances here, I think Manju Rani would be a better contender at 51kg for us than Mary.
SaniaFan

Post by SaniaFan »

I think it is not easy to shift the category so I am not sure if Manju would be better. In fact, I highly doubt that. But I think there is another one in the same weight category(Pinki?). She was denied a trial for the world championship against Mary. But not sure if she is good.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Manju Rani lost 1-4 to Russian in the final. Again people are saying that Manju should have won this. Really not sure what to say as I did not watch the bout. Anyway, we end up with 1 silver and 3 bronze medals. At least 3 of our key losses were all in a split decisions.
ssp

Post by ssp »

I don't think anybody expected Manju Rani to beat the Russian (in Russia), Judging is a joke in these competitions. :-(
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by jaydeep »

Overall, a good performance by our women boxers ... Impressed with Manju Rani in her first World Cup, in the final, her opponent Paltceva was little quicker and sharper in her punches,
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

There has been some controversy over young boxer Nikhat Zareen not being a given a chance to box against Mary Kom in trials for world championships and now for qualfiers for Tokyo olympics-

This is Marykom's rejoinder -

I'm not scared to fight Nikhat Zareen in trials: Mary Kom

I think there should be no issue in having a trial if Mary Kom is so confident of beating her.
SaniaFan

Post by SaniaFan »

I think Mary defeated her in India open about a year ago. But then
a lot can change in a year
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

sameerph wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:08 pm I think there should be no issue in having a trial if Mary Kom is so confident of beating her.
Or even if she is not. We should not protect seniors. Competition is good. Let Kom and Sushil fight. Will keep them sharp.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

prasen9 wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:39 am
sameerph wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:08 pm I think there should be no issue in having a trial if Mary Kom is so confident of beating her.
Or even if she is not. We should not protect seniors. Competition is good. Let Kom and Sushil fight. Will keep them sharp.
Precisely. I am fine with giving some weight for experience and proven big-event mental strengths (and Mary, Sushil, etc, have shown some of that in the past), but basically there should be no protecting of seniors.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Now it is cleared by BFI, there will be a trial for Marykom-

Mary Kom to face Nikhat Zareen in Olympics selection trial in December
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

In general, given the rules this is fine. However, Mary Kom has won a world championship in October. Perhaps the rules should have it that if you win the world championship, then you are automatically selected for the next six months. Or if the sport has a solid international ranking. The issue is whether Zareen, who was a junior world champion, has been given the chances to compete internationally. If she has not, then we need the trial to give her the chance. If she has had the chance but did not do well, then just doing well on one trial day should not be given preference to a body of work. In other works, I am now arguing against my own position :-)
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Mary did not win the world championships in October. She got a very favourable draw and lost to her first good opponent in the semis.

If she had actually won, there would have been no debate.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Thanks for correcting me.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Mary Kom beat Nikhat by a 9-1 decision yesterday. https://indianexpress.com/article/sport ... n-6189631/

All kids of drama around this bout. Mary says Nikhat was disrespecting her all along and the press playing on that and questioning her credentials. She does seem to have a legitimate beef on this - because the press was questioning Mary. But it seems Mary called Nikhat some bad name during the bout and refused to shake hands etc. Oh well... Nobody should get on the bad side of that lady Mary. She is baaad mamma, if you upset her!!
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Any controversy around judging?