Indian Rugby Thread ...

All other sports such as squash, badminton,volleyball, atheletics etc which are not covered by any other forum heading can be entered in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Rugby

Post by Sandeep »

We should start a forum for Eton Fives next.
Luge too, in which we had a participation in winter olympics :) . Just kidding.

But it is amusing to see PKB being so adamant on his stance.
jungli

Rugby

Post by jungli »

the all-india rugby takes place in mumbai from 24 sept at the gymkhana club so if anybody wants to see some good games for real should get along there. two foreign teams will play: lahore and BARA (british asian rugby association) as well as 10 or 12 indian teams from around the country. chennai won the tournament last year and are probably favourites this year, though bara will be good.
BSharma
Authors
Authors
Please enter the middle number: 1

Rugby

Post by BSharma »

Welcome jungli.

Do you play rugby for some team in India? Can you post some information about this tournament in this thread? Thanks.
India1989

confusion

Post by India1989 »

First of all many of you guys are getting confused between rugby and american football. I don't know why. Maybe it is my writing. It is maybe not that clear. :cry:
But remember this thing
In RUGBY you can pass backward and not forward. Yes you can kick the ball forward.
In AMERICAN FOOTBALL you can only pass the ball one time and it is in the forward direction.
Know this for know. There are more different things. First make these things clear.

Now I will start clearing other people's doubt.
Thanks to the person who helped me make these points clear. :D
India1989

doubts

Post by India1989 »

Red_Indian wrote:
India1989 wrote:In the meantime if the quaterback passes the ball to its own player and if some other teams player comes and gets the ball then they can carry on with the ball
India1989 wrote:
Red_Indian wrote:So when the other team's guy intercepts the pass, can he pass along to others or not? Or does he try to run for a touchdown and if he is brough down then play restarts with the quarterback and the 4 chances plays rule applies? I suspect it's the latter.
Ok. I understand what you mean. Let me make this thing clear. I hope I am not spamming with messages but just to make you know. I only have time right now. Then I have to go and do my studies.
Now the thing you are talking about is in American football. When the other teams guy intercepts the pass he cannot pass to anyone else. He has to run with it for a touchdown. In American football no passing. Only the quaterback passes.
You are right. It is the latter. But the ball now goes to the team which intercepts the pass. They have the 4 tries now.
Any doubt ask me.
India1989

Rugby

Post by India1989 »

The word "scrummage" is a modification of "scrimmage" which in turn derives from or is cognate to "skirmish".

Originally there was no distinction between an awarded or "set" scrum (today officially called simply "scrummage") and a "loose" scrum (today officially called a ruck). The side awarded a scrimmage simply had one player put the ball on the ground and let go of it; there was no requirement of a tunnel, although players were required to be onside, i.e. not ahead of the ball. The commonest way for a scrimmage/scrummage to be so awarded (there being no referee to actually award one, but as the rules specified) would be the occurrence of a stalemate between the player with the ball (who would declare "held") and opponents holding him (who would call, "Have it down."). A scrummage could also occur as a ruck today, in which opposing players simply close around a ball already on the ground.

Although the rules of playing the ball were different as to whether it was in scrimmage or not, the early rules did not draw a clear distinction between players in or out of scrimmage, and did not require players in scrimmage to bind. Early accounts of play show that in fact they could not have been bound, for they would try to work their way through the pack while attempting to get to and dribble the ball.

The early rules of rugby, even after recodification as "Laws of the Rugby Union" (the term "laws" having been borrowed from the Football Association), said the object of players in the scrummage was to kick the ball towards their opponents' goal line. This provision remained in the laws for approximately 20 years after practice had changed in the late 19th Century.

The modern scrummage and ruck, the Rugby League play-the-ball, and the American football snap and scrimmage (later adopted by Canadian football) were all derivatives of the early scrimmage, and responsive in different ways to problems encountered in the way the rules regarding it were written and administered

Scrummage
Before a scrum is formed the eight forwards from each team bind together in three rows (three players in the front row, two in the second row, and the remaining players behind them). The front row is composed of the two prop forwards (tighthead and loosehead) supporting the hooker; the second row forwards are more often referred to as locks; and the back row is made up of the two flankers (sometimes wing forwards) with the number 8 (named after the jersey number of the starter at that position) between them.

The front row are usually the stockiest members of the scrum. Hookers are normally smaller than props, though similar in build. Props and locks both need to be strong, but the positions differ in their main criteria for selection. Since props are more directly involved in wrestling for position and channelling the drive forward, strength and weight are of prime importance for them. Strength is also important for locks, since they also push; however, height is more important for them than it is for front-row players. Locks are virtually always the tallest players on the team; they are used as the primary contestants for possession in another phase of the game, the line-out. Flanker and the number 8 do less of the pushing in the scrum, and need more speed, because their task is to break quickly and cover the opposing half-backs if the opponents win the scrum.

The two packs of forwards approach to within a short distance of each other and crouch. On a signal from the referee the front rows engage with each other so that their heads are interlocked with those of the other side's front row. Another player (the scrum half) from the team that did not infringe then throws the ball into the tunnel thus formed, and the hookers (and sometimes the props) compete for possession by trying to hook the ball backwards with their feet, while the entire pack tries to push the opposing pack backwards. The side that wins possession usually transfers the ball to the back of the scrum, where it is picked up either by the Number 8, or by the scrum half, who will either pass it out to the fly-half and the other backs, or kick ahead over the heads of the scrum, then running forward to put his or her forwards onside. On other occasions the forwards will hold the ball in the scrum and try to push the opposition backwards.

It is the scrum, and also the line-out, that gives rise to the simplified explanation of rugby union: "The forwards are there to get the ball back, and the backs are there to get the ball forward".

A team with a dominant scrum can tire the opposition's forwards, and ensure any ball the opposition get is of poor quality, whilst ensuring good ball for their own team.

Scrums are the most dangerous phase in rugby, since a collapse can lead to the hooker breaking his neck. For this reason, only trained players may play in the front row.
jungli

Rugby

Post by jungli »

the all-india is basically the premier tournament in india and takes place for a week each year around this time. it alternates between mumbai and kolkata each year and is hosted by the gymkhana club and ccfc respectively. there are active rugby unions/federations in a number of cities: kolkata, mumbai, delhi, bangalore, chennai. pune now has a team as does manipur.

for the all-india a lot of teams bring in foreigners - they are only allowed a maximum of 2 foreigners but the definition of foreigners is a bit flexible i.e. foreigners with resident permits can play as can nri's or people with grandparents born in india. but i think this is just while the game develops. not many youngsters get to play from an early age so they tend not to have a deep understanding or level of expertise.

sadly the irfu doesn't have very good pr and don't do much to publicise and promote the game. rugby is very enjoyable and needs a combination of skil, experience and strength. everybody large and small can find a place on the field. i play for a new club in kolkata www.junglecrows.com - let us know what you think of the website!

anybody in kolkata get along to the police bodyguard lines sunday at 4.00 can see a game - we are playing the kolkata police. i can go on all day so will stop. save to say that the best way to learn and appreciate the game is to get along and play or watch!
India1989

good luck

Post by India1989 »

Good luck jungli for the match. Hope you guys win. :goodluck:

I am from Kolkata too. I know about the CC & FC ground. How are the rugby grounds now in Kolkata.

If any doubts tell me cause now I am gonna move too American and Canadian football differences.
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators

Rugby

Post by Sandeep »

All the best Jungli. The website is really good.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Rugby

Post by BSharma »

An excellent website, Jungli. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.
India1989

Rugby

Post by India1989 »

It was a good website. Thanks for showing it to us.
Now I think there's no doubt. I will describe the Canadian football next.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Rugby

Post by Kumar »

India1989 wrote:It was a good website. Thanks for showing it to us.
Now I think there's no doubt. I will describe the Canadian football next.
What do you prefer to be called? 1989 or india? Anyway I haven't had time to read your explanations patiently, so I wouldn't qualify 'theres no doubt ' stmt
India1989

Rugby

Post by India1989 »

Call me Indian. I like being called Indian. Read them whenever you have time.
Insider

Rugby

Post by Insider »

I demand threads for rounders, throwball, carrom and tenniquoit as well!!

In all seriousness, rugby is a great sport, and this thread is quite appropriate.
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators

Rugby

Post by Sandeep »

I demand threads for rounders, throwball, carrom and tenniquoit as well!!
Go ahead and start, I don't think anyone is going to oppose you. It would be great if you can keep us busy with these games.