Tokyo Olympics 2020

All other sports such as squash, badminton,volleyball, atheletics etc which are not covered by any other forum heading can be entered in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

depleter
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Tokyo Olympics 2020

Post by depleter »

Our most important event will be shooting and it will be interesting to see how their scores fare in the upcoming national championships in January. Most of their European counterparts have been improving their scores so a solid display is desperately needed.
Wrestling might have been the most effected as their recent outing in Belgrade world cup was abysmal.
Mirabhai Chanu went to US for her training and rehabilitation regarding her long term back injury.
Boxing might be the most prepared discipline with Amit Panghal training in Italy and attending some international competitions in Europe while Vikas Krishan in America.
If shooting clicks we can still get more than 6 medals this time.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Do you have any more intel on Mirabai's preparation.

I had an expected value of 1.86 medals from wrestling so that looking like 0 right now is not good.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

I would not put on any value of anyone as of now. They all are just begining to compete, some of them like shooters and badminton players have not even started. So, we can probably reassess our medal potential in February or March. Prior to covid break, we looked like heading to a 10 medal tally. Hopefully, it will be at least something more than 6 which we got at London.
depleter

Post by depleter »

Government gave permission for resumption of competitions.
https://www.hindustantimes.com/other-sp ... Q4O3L.html

The nearest one and one of the most important one is the shooting national selection trail starting from Jan 5th.
depleter

Post by depleter »

An article about Saurabh's and Apurvi's olmpic preparation
https://www.olympicchannel.com/en/stori ... -in-tokyo/
"He was living like a prisoner inside his shooting range at home for the majority of this year. Even his family members maintained a distance from him to make sure he did not get sick. So the only thing he has done is practice,” Sheoran said to Indian Express.

“His average scores have improved by a couple of points. He now shoots 588 routinely, the kind of score that automatically makes him a medal contender.”
https://indianexpress.com/article/sport ... k-7125691/

Chandela’s coach Rakesh Manpat says they have used this period to fine-tune her technique. During the lockdown, Manpat monitored Chandela’s practice from Bengaluru by placing a simulator on the barrel of her rifle, which transmitted all the data from the training sessions
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

What do u all think? Olympics will happen this year? Having people stay in Olympic village may not be very possible! It probably gets pushed to late summer with potentially all participants vaccinated and only vaccinated spectators allowed

There would be huge backlash if all this sports players gets vaccinated out of turn? I am curious if sports fan feel differently about vaccinating sports ahead of others? For example, if all nba players were to be vaccinated, we are talking 600 players and coaches! And I guess India sends around 100 people to olympics! Would that be considered unethical and unfair? I see no other pathway to having olympics unless the participants gets vaccinated

Looks like IOC is already trying that
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

I am still not really sure if they will happen but from our sporting interest point of view I sincerely hope that Olympics happen as this is our best chance to get our best ever medal tally.
depleter

Post by depleter »

I think the olympics will go on ????? As of now WADA is checking vaccines and the materials in vaccines. The thing is that SII is aiming to release the vaccine privately in March or April, and if that is true, I can't see why all the athletes can't be vaccinated.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

I have moved those shooting related posts to Indian shooting thread.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

depleter wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:53 am I think the olympics will go on ????? As of now WADA is checking vaccines and the materials in vaccines. The thing is that SII is aiming to release the vaccine privately in March or April, and if that is true, I can't see why all the athletes can't be vaccinated.
This is a nice article summarising the probabilities regarding Tokyo olympics-

Tokyo 2020: Uncertainty persists over Olympics and Paralympics as IOC meets

Is it possible to vaccinate all athletes prior to games ? In most countries they cannot priortise olympic bound athletes over health care personnel and the vaccinations of health care personnel won't be over till for quite some time.
arjun2761
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by arjun2761 »

The only way the Olympics happen is with vaccinated participants.

Given that the total number of participants is around 12K (and say another 12K officials and organizers), it isn't a particularly large number globally.

My guess is that the medal contending countries (mostly developed countries) will be able to get the vaccinations done for Olympic selected athletes by the late summer.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

No foreign visitors allowed but tournament will happen, as per latest comms from Tokyo.

Time to start reviewing the projections @sameer ?
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

The Olympics without spectators won't be the same spectacle. But it's better that it happen rather than not. (I was hoping to go for the Olympics in an Asian democracy; not sure when another one will happen).
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Sin Hombre wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:01 am No foreign visitors allowed but tournament will happen, as per latest comms from Tokyo.

Time to start reviewing the projections @sameer ?
Yes, with things looking somewhat positive now about olympic happening, we should do that. But, not a whole lot of data points of late to really judge to revise those projections. Not much action at all in many sports. Only thing I can say is that our chances of badminton medal have gone down and chances of a hockey medal have gone up after recent results. In wrestling, Bajrang and Vinesh continue to be pretty good medal prospect. Ravi Dahiya was starting to emerge as a serious prospect before break but now he has not competed since covid break, so do not know. Same thing about other sports.

Our best chances are of course in shooting, We can probably revisit the projections for those post Delhi world cup which takes place March 18-29. The field for that looks weak but we can judge best on scores.

Btw, today Bhavani Devi became the first Indian Fencer to qualify for the olympics. Good to see that we are at least getting qualfiers in new sports.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

Btw, today Bhavani Devi became the first Indian Fencer to qualify for the olympics. Good to see that we are at least getting qualfiers in new sports
Hope she does well. This is a relatively low depth sport (although the equipment costs may be somewhat high), which we could target in an academy set up since it has 12 gold medals at the Olympics.