Tokyo Olympics 2020

All other sports such as squash, badminton,volleyball, atheletics etc which are not covered by any other forum heading can be entered in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

ankit1407
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Tokyo Olympics 2020

Post by ankit1407 »

How do men FS draw looks like , any expert opinion? I think we have Ravi and Deepak in fray for tomorrow...
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

arjun2761 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:19 am
jayakris wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:39 am Yeah, looking like my count of 4 will stick in the end. Will it even be four?
Have faith in Vinesh!
I am not discounting her. In fact, hers *is* the more probable 4th medal I am counting. Till a hockey team actually wins a medal for the first time in 49 years, I will keep them in the same basket as archery and shooting. Didn't expect a medal, so I will just stick with that thought. One wrestling medal is what I was looking at, as the 4th medal. But I hope to be wrong -- hopefully it will be 2 wrestling medals, 1 hockey medal, and even an outside-chance Neeraj medal (on a miracle hurl) for even 7 medals :)
ankit1407

Post by ankit1407 »

ankit1407 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:05 am How do men FS draw looks like , any expert opinion? I think we have Ravi and Deepak in fray for tomorrow...
looking at some of the feedback, both seems to have good a good draw (Ravi more so)... We know how it can all end but at least signs from draw suggest we may get a surprise and end up with couple of wrestling medal before Vinesh and Bajrang takes the mat...
depleter

Post by depleter »

ankit1407 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:05 am How do men FS draw looks like , any expert opinion? I think we have Ravi and Deepak in fray for tomorrow...
Easy draw for both Ravi and Deepak. Ravi should be easily reaching final and Deepak Semis. If they don't it's their fault.
depleter

Post by depleter »

Actually Anshu also tomorrow I think. Many people call her the next Vinesh. She is high pedaled that much. But she has a tough draw. Actually it would have been tough in any quarter. This category has many dark horses.
Orang
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by Orang »

Women's final was even crazier.

Winner An San consistently had a 40 point lower heart rate than the Russian. An San's heart rate even in the last set was around 110.

Orang wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:25 pm For those who were discussing heart rates, the men's final was interesting.

In the first few sets, the Italian's heart rate (155-160) was 15-20 points higher than the Turk's. In the final set, they both became closer at around 160, although the Italian was still a bit higher. I think he hit a peak of 168, though do not feel like watching the below video again!
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

^^^ Orang, would you mind adding your comments BELOW the quoted portion? Since that is the standard order everybody uses, we get confused a bit in your posts because we see your comment before seeing what you are responding to. Just typing below the quoted part that comes up when you reply with quote, would do... Just a suggestion (not a big deal either way) :)

And thanks for bringing attention to the heart rate aspect of archery. Looks like there is some very clear correlation there...
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

depleter wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:15 am
Easy draw for both Ravi and Deepak. Ravi should be easily reaching final and Deepak Semis. If they don't it's their fault.
Yes, pretty decent draws for both. Ravi has a Colombian who is Pan American runner up in R16 , then mostly a Bulgarian or Alegrian who both qualfied thru their continental championships quotas ( not thru world champioships). If he is in decent shape, Ravi should get thru these 2 and then SF it will be either Japanese Takahashi, Serbian Micic or Kazak Sanyev all of whom are tough but whom Ravi has beaten before. Some of the dangerous wrestlers like top favorite Russian Uguev or Turk Atli or Uzbek Abdullaev or Iranian or Mongolian are all in other half of the draw. With this draw if Ravi cannot reach final, he he has to blame himself. At worse, it should be bronze play off for him.

Deepak has a Nigerian in R16 and mostly a Chinese in QF whom he has beaten before and if he gets to SF American David Taylor whom I do no think he will get ahead which would mean he will fight for bronze which also does not look much tough. I think Chinese will be toughest opponent for Deepak in his draw ( apart from of course Taylor).

Anshu has world Bronze medalist Kurachkina first up, if she gets thru it will be Rio silver medalist Koblova and Nigerian Odunayo in SF. So, she will have to really to go on a tear if she has to even fight for bronze.
srini

Post by srini »

To summarize Sameer's post above - Ravi for Silver and Deepak for Bronze!
Between i wonder why they have such small brackets with draws having only 16 competitors per weight and reward with 4 medals out of those 16 in wrestling. Not just for India but Olympics wrestlers start with high probability for medals than their counterparts in other sports.
ankit1407

Post by ankit1407 »

We should get 1 and with bit of luck may end up 2.... however knowing how things go we may even draw a blank....
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

True, nothing can be guranteed in this olympics. We had so much hope in boxing in Amit Panghal but he just turned up underprepared. Lets hope our wrestlers are decent physical shape. I mentioned the above probability based on their usual ability. Covid and long break with not too many competitions have made things complicated and seems to have hit us more.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Wrestling is a strange sport I don't quite understand. I watched Sonam's bout today, just after the hockey. She was up 2-0 (by pushing her opponent beyond the orange area around the circular arena twice) until the last minute, and then her opponent managed to trip her and pin her down to earn 2 points. That meant the scores were 2-2, but the opponent won because she had earned a 2-point point rather than two 1-point points for Sonam :kookoo: .
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

srini wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:55 am To summarize Sameer's post above - Ravi for Silver and Deepak for Bronze!
Between i wonder why they have such small brackets with draws having only 16 competitors per weight and reward with 4 medals out of those 16 in wrestling. Not just for India but Olympics wrestlers start with high probability for medals than their counterparts in other sports.
Of course, it means that it is harder to qualify for the Olympics. However, with Covid and loss of form, it makes it more of a crap shoot. For example, Amit Panghal came in as the #1 seed based on his achievements in 2019 and earlier but was probably closer to #16 when the Olympics started....
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

PKBasu wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:01 pm Wrestling is a strange sport I don't quite understand. I watched Sonam's bout today, just after the hockey. She was up 2-0 (by pushing her opponent beyond the orange area around the circular arena twice) until the last minute, and then her opponent managed to trip her and pin her down to earn 2 points. That meant the scores were 2-2, but the opponent won because she had earned a 2-point point rather than two 1-point points for Sonam :kookoo: .

I think the person that scores the last point wins in a tie unless someone has received more cautions in which case that person loses.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I wonder why the IOC is trying to reduce the size, etc. Is this because of COVID? Or is it that they want to cut costs? Is there really significant savings in having fewer days? They are using the reduced size to penalize weightlifting because of their rampant doping and ineffective administration. But, is that the real reason or is it as in wrestling, a cost-cutting maneuver?

If they really want to reduce costs, then why have all these events in archery? Just have individual for mens and womens. No need for mixed, team, etc. From the same event, you can just award the team medal, mixed, doubles, triples, ... as many medals as you want. The game does not change one iota if it is a mixed.