Tokyo Olympics 2020

All other sports such as squash, badminton,volleyball, atheletics etc which are not covered by any other forum heading can be entered in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Tokyo Olympics 2020

Post by jayakris »

Atithee wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:22 am
indiansportsfan wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:39 pmThe only issue may be that she may have regressed while her opponents may have improved during this time period.[/b]
This is the ONLY issue? This is THE issue, in the least.
Exactly what i was thinking! :)

sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Sin Hombre wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:52 am If she can somehow win another Olympic medal, she would be India's greatest ever individual sport athlete in my book.

Since the 2013 WC; 1 gold, 2 silver, 2 bronze in WC, 1 silver at the Olympics and 1 silver at the Asian Games is a phenomenal haul.

3 Indian badminton players have been #1 (Saina, Padukone, Srikanth) and Sindhu is not one of them but is undoubtedly India's greatest shuttler.

Now with badminton, if we lose out on medals this time (as SI also projects), we will lose one of our proudest streaks in sports. We have medaled in every WC or Olympics since 2011; 9 tournaments in a row!
Yes, sadly it does looks like it will be broken this time unless Sindhu again rises up to do the unexpected.

Sad that Srikanth who had risen up to world #1 a couple of years back totally fell away. Else, it would have given us more options to win medals. Now it is only Sindhu who has to carry the burden.

RohitG

Post by RohitG »

If everything goes by what's on paper, she'll face Yamaguchi in the quarters. The winner will likely face Ratchanok or Tai Tzu-Ying in the semis. The favorites in the other half include Yufei, Okuhara and An Se-Young. Sindhu has better H2H record against most of the players in the field, except for Tzu-Ying and Ratchanok.

sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Tennis and Table tennis draws are out.

In Tennis, Sumit Nagal plays Denis Istomin in first round. I think a winnable match but if he wins he can run into Medvedev in second round.

Ankita and Sania play Ukraine's Nadia Kichenok and Lyudmyla Kichenok in first round.

In table tennis, Sathiyan and Sharath Kamal have byes in the first round but will run into second and third seeds respectively in second round. So,it should be over for them. In Womens singles, Manika Batra and Suthirtha Mukherjea have a decent chance to cross first round.

Whatever little chance we have is in mixed doubles where Sharath Kamal and Manika Batra run into third seeds from Taiwan in round of 16. If somehow they manage to upset this pair, they will meet a Korean pair in QF whom they had beaten in Asian games. Can they spring a surprise ?

depleter

Post by depleter »

After that Boxing draw all those 18-19 medals can go home. And all our 10+medals hope would completely depend on shooting.

PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by PKBasu »

Rankings may be wrong and irrelevant, but are still a data point. I don't recall any previous Olympics where we've gone in with so many world #1 participants. In Shooting, there are 8 Indians ranked #1 or 2. Vinesh Phogat (53 Kg freestyle wrestling) is #1 in the world, as are Amit Panghal (Flyweight Boxing) and Bajrang Punia (65 Kg freestyle wrestling). Deepika Kumari is #1 in women’s recurve archery (and also highly ranked with her husband Atanu Das in recurve mixed pairs). Our men's hockey team are medal-contenders after their stupendous performances in Europe and Argentina just a few months ago. And PV Sindhu, given her past performances in Olympics and world championships, is a hot contender for the singles gold medal.

arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

arjun2761 wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:32 pm My expectation is as follows:

Shooting: 1-2
Wrestling: 0-2
Boxing: 0-1
Badminton: 1 (Saina)
Tennis: 0-1 (MxD)
Rest (archery, hockey etc.): 0-1

Total Range: 2-8. Will be very happy if we can repeat London's haul of 6 medals.
My prediction for Rio was 2-8 and i guess I got it right. :D

My prediction this time is 3-9. Hopefully, I'll be right at the high end of the range this time.

sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

depleter wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:50 pm After that Boxing draw all those 18-19 medals can go home. And all our 10+medals hope would completely depend on shooting.
Yes, pretty tough draws but probably you got to expect it with small fields.

Our best medal hope Amit Panghal has a bye into R16 and gets Rio silver medalist at light fly from Colombia there, if he manages to win he may run into Chinese Rio bronze medalist in the QF. He has to win these 2 tough bouts and medal is his. Good thing is he has avoided reigning olympics and world champion Zoirov till SF.

Others have to win 1-2 tough matches to win a medal but that is to be expected an olympics.

depleter

Post by depleter »

As everyone is going at it, I would say 7-15 medals it is. Around 11 may be the likely number.

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Buckle up fellas... It all starts in 2.5 hours with Deepika out there in the Archery ranking rounds. Go India Go!

Orang

Post by Orang »

10th after 18 of 72 arrows. Just 2 pts from 3rd. 64 participants.

https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/olympic ... 00100-.htm
Last edited by Orang on Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

After 18 of 72 arrows, Deepika is tied for the 10th spot with a 167.
A poor 51 in the next 6, and she falls to 14th after 24 arrows.

prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

This is the ranking round.

srini

Post by srini »

After 24 of 72 Arrows, Deepika is ranked 14 of 64 participants. Not bad at all so far considering history.

Orang

Post by Orang »

Yes, but her life will be easier in knockouts if she ranks high today. Plus boost in confidence.