Doc's Near Death Experience

This is a place where you can enter any non-sports general topics
suresh
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Doc's Near Death Experience

Post by suresh »

One of the first things I do every morning is to visit this forum with a mug of filter coffee. This morning was no different and the first thing I read was the message about Bhushan. I felt as if a close family member has passed away and I couldn't bring myself to write a single word. It took me several hours and a long jog to bring myself to terms with the news. My heartfelt condolences to Bhushan's family and I thank his son Ravi for taking the trouble to pass on the news to all of us in this forum.

In this forum, over the years we have been discussing ways and means of helping up and coming sports persons from India. I propose that we form a "Dr. Bharat Bhushan Sharma Charitable Trust" with this end in mind. I know that Doc will approve. I can contribute about $100 dollars a year for the next ten years. In addition, I will provide another sum of money, the precise amount will be determined by my 6th pay commission arrears, towards the corpus fund of the trust.

Let me know you think. We need to come up with the details of how such a trust should be organised, what will be the agenda of the trust, who will be the trustees, where should it be registered, etc.

Suresh
gbelday

Post by gbelday »

Suresh,
Great idea. There are a lot of people that such a fund can help! Please count me in! I'll write more later on this.
Gautam
amr090
Authors
Authors

Post by amr090 »

I have not posted or visited this forum in some time. But I just happend to learn this extremely sad news through another source and was stunned.

Dr. Bhushan Sharma was one of the nicest people I have never met. Having been a part of this forum for a long time from high school to now as an adult in his late 20s, Bhushanji and I formed an unlikely friendship. He would often compliment me on my posts or send me private message appreciating some post I had in my passionate immaturity as a young 20 something.

His sense of sport, his humor, his kindness were all too apparent bleeding through every word he typed on this forum. Dr. Sharma I am sad I never got to meet you in person, but I am grateful that I was able to meet your mind and soul through this forum.

May you rest in peace.

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Totally numb and speechless ... Doc was special man and he will always remain like that ... As like many members I never met him but I was in contact with him through mails where he helped me on many personal issues ... Our relation was more like Uncle-nephew ... Big family-member loss for me.

Thanks Ravi for showing courage of write post after this big loss and consider us to share this news.

Jaydeep
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

May your soul RIP, Dr. Sharma. I never thought that this would happen. I was sure that the good doc would post here in a few weeks time. It was difficult to post anything last night after I heard the news. My best wishes to the family. I will never forget the doc's kind words and encouraging, positive nature.
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Sandeep »

I can't even type at the moment. Truly shocking. Dr.Sharma was like a father, brother, great firend and best pal to me. I will forever cherish the conservations we had through personal messages, the long chat we had (almost 2 hours) during the Sania Vs Venus Williams match (I was watching the match live and he was updating it in the forum). We have never met but it has been more than 5 years of relationship now through this forum. I hope he is pain free now, I hope he is happy now after all that he has gone through in the last few months. I never thought a day would come so soon (when Bsharma posted about his experience) that we have to be content with memories of the great Doc in this forum. We will all remember the genius that you were Dr.Sharma. RIP

Suresh I am all for the trust. I will keep donating every year how much ever I can.
shibi

Post by shibi »

Very sad to hear about the unexpected loss. I was thinking that Sharmaji's most difficult health problems were past and he was on the road to full recovery. Without him this forum will never be the same again. He brought lot of cheers to all, not only in this forum but I'm sure to everyone whom he came across in life. He encouraged lot of members here including me, without making us feel that it was being done intentionally. We will miss him dearly.

May the good Lord confort Mrs. Sharma, children Priya, Ravi and Neal and other members of his family.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

I was numbed when I heard (or rather read) the news this morning, and the beautifully touching note Bhushan's son Ravi left for us. Thank you, Ravi, for remembering us in your time of grief and pain.

I had tears in my eyes and a lump in my throat for much of the morning. I never thought I could feel this way about someone I never met in person. But we all knew Bhushan so very intimately through this forum. As I say to my own family, the Sports-India Community is a part of my extended family -- and Bhushan was an integral part of that extended family. His good-natured manner must have made him an absolutely wonderful doctor, and the testimonials in the Tulsa newspaper ring so very true. Here we knew him as our universal Doc and father-figure, the ever-present settler of conflicts when they flared up, the ever-witty diffuser of issues when they got too hot. We were all waiting for Bhushan to re-emerge from his ordeal, and start posting here again. It is unfathomable that we will never hear that voice again. RIP, Bhushan, RIP. And god bless your family, and everybody who holds you dear.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Suresh, your idea is wonderful -- a befitting memorial to a true lover (and player) of Indian sport. Bhushan was a national-level table-tennis player in his youth, remember, and regularly played tennis (doubles mainly, I think) with the man who Ramesh Krishnan beat in the Wimbledon junior singles final in 1979, (now Dr.) David Siegler. Let us move quickly toward establishing the trust in his name -- something that he will truly bless from heaven.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by sameerph »

Terrible news indeed. I am in a state of shock right now.

I thought something amiss when we got the news of his being still in hospital & having to undergo another surgery few days back. Before that I had thought he was on his way to recovery. It was fitting that he recovered from his initial attack to talk to us in the forum for some time at least.

I had shared quite a few personal messages with him. It is like losing someone from your own family which is strange for someone whom you have never met or talked in person. His humour & top 10 lists as also thoughtful observations will be truly missed in this forum.

May god rest his soul in peace.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Another thing we can do immediately is institute a "Doc' spirit SI annual award" in our own forum to commemorate Doc's immense contributions to this forum. A moderator/moderators/another panel can be the judge. I can help with laying out the criteria.
suresh wrote:One of the first things I do every morning is to visit this forum with a mug of filter coffee. This morning was no different and the first thing I read was the message about Bhushan. I felt as if a close family member has passed away and I couldn't bring myself to write a single word. It took me several hours and a long jog to bring myself to terms with the news. My heartfelt condolences to Bhushan's family and I thank his son Ravi for taking the trouble to pass on the news to all of us in this forum.

In this forum, over the years we have been discussing ways and means of helping up and coming sports persons from India. I propose that we form a "Dr. Bharat Bhushan Sharma Charitable Trust" with this end in mind. I know that Doc will approve. I can contribute about $100 dollars a year for the next ten years. In addition, I will provide another sum of money, the precise amount will be determined by my 6th pay commission arrears, towards the corpus fund of the trust.

Let me know you think. We need to come up with the details of how such a trust should be organised, what will be the agenda of the trust, who will be the trustees, where should it be registered, etc.

Suresh
Varma

Post by Varma »

Suresh, that's a wonderful idea. It will be fitting tribute to a lifelong Indian sports' enthusiast. I can contribute $100 a year.

- Varma
v george

Post by v george »

You were a great person, Dr. Sharma. We will miss you.
x_y_Z_a

Post by x_y_Z_a »

It is really a very very sad news. Bhushanji was full of humor. He was making this forum more enjoyable by his writings. In fact, I was eagerly waiting for him to write his experience of his recovery.

My heart felt condoleces to the family. Let us all pray that God gives the family enough strength to get over such a great loss.

Let Doc's soul RIP.
Harsh

Post by Harsh »

I have just heard the news of Dr. Bhushan's passing away and I am deeply saddened. He was a very kind person and it was so great to have been able to spend some time with him and his family in Tulsa. He will be dearly missed by us all! May his soul rest in peace.