Poverty in India ...

As we had often come back to discussing economic benefits/impact of sports I thought it was about time for an economic discussion forum.
Mugundan
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Poverty in India ...

Post by Mugundan »

It would have been better had authorities allowed corruption charges (against IPL in the main) to be brought before a competent authority, the guilty punished etc before overhauling the BCCI on the charge that there is corruption. While many of the points suggested by the Lodha panel and now being implemented can be appreciated, does this mean that is the only way to run a cricket board? "Don't have five selectors; have only three" can be countered by "why not four?" ("Have only Test players of the past" sounds more logical).
In the longer run an international structure is required for any sport to survive. Just because India generates bulk of the money for cricket it should not mean India should move away from the ICC and run its own cricket with IPL etc. Will all the countries even in South Asia back a breakaway group?
I agree with Sin Hombre that BCCI is (was) the most professionally-organized sports body in the country. That should not of course mean that there cannot be improvement or there will not be corruption.
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

I agree that the Supreme Court could have been less hands-on with respect to micro-managing things. I am glad that the Supreme Court kicked out the corrupt. I am not saying that all they did is good. I think there is over-reach and in a few years, they will let some of these onerous restrictions relax.

With respect to international cricket, I do not care about other countries or international cricket either. I personally like the American model which gets the best players from the world to come and play in the NBA, NFL, etc. I think the product is much better in quality. I guess I am not that much of a nationalist by nature. I believe national boundaries are just artificial divisions. If Sri Lanka does not want to let its players play at the IPL, let them be. We will have enough players within just India to have a longer IPL. If we pay them enough, we will get players from other countries to come and play at the IPL. See the Kolpak players playing in England instead of RSA. The ICC is a useless body in my opinion. I would rather have BCCI run our cricket. Yes, I understand that looks like a very nationalistic argument coming from a person who does not believe in nation states. But, I am coming to this from a different angle and getting the same result. The ICC has been a racist body for a long while. We were treated very badly over the years. Why are there so many World Cups and Champions Trophies in England? Maybe now that we have some money, they are all of a sudden treating us better. I would say that we should just ignore them and do what is best for us.
Mugundan
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Mugundan »

Till the 1987 World Cup was allotted jointly to India and Pakistan, ICC was a two-nation body, England and Australia. They had the veto power. That changed but recently led by India that was brought back for India, England and Australia (don't know whether the system continues) and the rest demoted to second-rate affiliates.
India running things on its own might end up looking like the Packer circus. Will it be able to last with just the Indian players? Will India (and Indian fans) be satisfied with just the IPL? No Test cricket; no ODIs, no T20? Will India manage to form a new breakaway ICC where it can dictate terms (since it has the money power though it might look like the days of white domination of ICC, the difference this time being 'brown'). I am not a fan of cricket and thus I don't care whether they play in India or abroad or whether they make money or not.
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

Right. Maybe because of those days, I want India to now assert its power. Yes, if the NBA, NFL, etc. are to be taken as examples, a much longer IPL will survive and will be quite successful. It will be like a Packer series, except in a much larger country, with a larger fanbase and fanatic followers. I do not think Indian fans will care that much about Tests, ODIs, or T20Is. Cricket is largely seen as an entertainment now. It will be fine. Just ignore the others and run your own cricket league. The ICC is struggling to give meaning to all these national tours anyway that people do not care about. Those would go away. The marquee ones may survive. And the rest would be IPL.

Can a kind moderator move the last 5-6 off-topic posts to a cricket thread? Maybe the general thread?