Sumit Nagal thread

All posts regarding specific player and player fans threads are in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

jai_in_canada

Re: Sumit Nagal thread

Post by jai_in_canada »

It was 5-5, 15-40 on Hug-Her's serve. And then Sumit lost that game and the next 7 games. :damn:
What happened?
Sanjay

Post by Sanjay »

jai_in_canada wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:21 pm It was 5-5, 15-40 on Hug-Her's serve. And then Sumit lost that game and the next 7 games. :damn:
What happened?

Yes I saw that... that was terrible. I thought he had it, lost that game and then fell apart. I have seen this in other matches also where he gets upset over something and then it's all over.
PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by PKBasu »

It seems that Sumit needs a high level of concentration (and adrenalin) to play at his optimal level. If something upsets that, things go far downhill for him quickly. This was an unexpectedly weak result. I thought he had a good chance to win this, not suffer a bagel in one set :-(
Prakhar Goyal
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Prakhar Goyal »

Hey guys, first of all, I would like to say how much I appreciate these forums and thank you for keeping readers like me updated with the happenings on Indian Tennis.

On Sumit's match, his complaint was due to "lack of clay" on the courts as he put it. He was not able to slide around and reach balls like he usually does and the bounce was very uneven as well. He started complaining about it around 5-5 in the first set and from there it just went downhill as he kept arguing with the umpire at every switch over.

On his game, I felt Sumit was better in the rallies but just could not cope with Herbert's serve even on clay.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Thanks, Prakhar for posting here. Keep posting your views on the forum.

Yes, it looks like when Sumit gets upset with something he lets it affect his game and that seems to have happened today after he lost that first set. He was just not the same player in the second set.

His bad record against top 100 players continues. 3-13 now.
Sanjay

Post by Sanjay »

Prakhar Goyal wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:06 pm Hey guys, first of all, I would like to say how much I appreciate these forums and thank you for keeping readers like me updated with the happenings on Indian Tennis.

On Sumit's match, his complaint was due to "lack of clay" on the courts as he put it. He was not able to slide around and reach balls like he usually does and the bounce was very uneven as well. He started complaining about it around 5-5 in the first set and from there it just went downhill as he kept arguing with the umpire at every switch over.

On his game, I felt Sumit was better in the rallies but just could not cope with Herbert's serve even on clay.
If this is the reason, I think he needs to wake up. The ump is not responsible for the state of the court, and the court is the same for both players. Arguing about something that cannot be changed needlessly causes himself harm. I think someone needs to talk to him on how to focus.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Prakhar Goyal wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:06 pmOn Sumit's match, his complaint was due to "lack of clay" on the courts as he put it. He was not able to slide around and reach balls like he usually does and the bounce was very uneven as well. He started complaining about it around 5-5 in the first set and from there it just went downhill as he kept arguing with the umpire at every switch over.
Thanks for the details, Prakhar. Sumit should know better than to let these kinds of things get into his mind and cause havoc. Do some yoga style mind control. Think of Hindi movies and your favorite actresses. Anything for distraction. Then look at the ball and hit it.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

and the court is the same for both players.
Yes, but the lack of clay impacts Sumit more than Herbert since he runs more (so harder to slide) and has the weaker serve (more clay would blunt the serve). Agree that he should manage his focus since it was unlikely that they would have rolled the court after the match had started Bummer overall since I thought this was a good chance for Sumit to get a win....
jai_in_canada

Post by jai_in_canada »

Did the clay just suddenly disappear at 5-5, 15-40 with PHH serving???

At this level the mental side of the game is just as important as the physical. The top guys play a mental game too and do little things to rattle the opponent. I've seen it during live matches on the outside courts. It's not seen on tv because it happens during changeover when players pass each other or are sitting in their chairs. It can be a snide comment made as if to the umpire or ball kid, it can be a look or gesture, little things. Cant let that get under your skin or your game falls apart.

Not sure any of that happened. It was a mysterious collapse of losing 8 straight games after competing so well for the first 10. Still a lot of positives to take away.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Thanks Prakhar for updating us, keep posting.
Agree with all, that Sumit needs to work on his mental aspects of game with physical game.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

RohitG wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:32 am ATP 250 qualies path fetch you similar points and prize money as the mid to high challengers. Only difference is if you go deep i.e. SFs and beyond at these 250s which our guys seldom do. They have been winning 3 matches or so. So which is easier, to win R16 at ATP 250 after qualies or an SF at a challenger. I think that's what separates the approaches of the players. I think for PG points matter more than prize money now. I agree about 500s and 1000s giving you a much better return though.
Moneywise playing these ATP qualies is certainly proving to be beneficial for Sumit.

Week of 5th April - Sardegna ATP- he got Euro 5275 and 12 ATP points- Alternatively he could have played a challenger in Croatia where he would have needed to reach final to earn more money but a QF would have given him more points and he would have been seeded to reach SF

Week of 12th April - Monte Carlo qualies- he got Euro 3250, no ATP points- a quarter final would have got him more money as it was a big challenger but he would not have been seeded too.

Week of 19 April - Barcelona ATP- he got Europ 8700, 10 ATP points- He could have played Rome challenger but even a title would not have fetched him this money but a QF would have been enough to get him more points and he would have been thid seed.

Overall, in 3 weeks he got 17K+ Euros whereas at challenger level if he had played upto his ranking he would have got about 6K+ Euros but he would got 68 points instead of 22 which he got, which would have moved him up 5-6 spots more in the rankings.

But, I guess these extra 11K Euros which he got would be more useful for him and a couple of wins more at the ATP level could have levelled him up in terms of points too. Perhaps, in the middle week, he should played the bigger Belgrade Challenger instead of Monte Carlo but in other 2 weeks I think absolutely the right decision.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

jai_in_canada wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:21 pm Not sure any of that happened.
Guy lost it!

Next time carry his clay with him. Cake it under his shoes in huge clumps and keep running!
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Sumit is 9 out from next week's Munich ATP 250 qualifying draw and 5 out from Estoril ATP 250 qualifying draw. Will have to wait and see if he makes it to the qualies draw at either place.

After next week though, he will move back to challenger level. In the main draw of Prague Challenger 80 the week starting May 3 and Heilbronn 100 challenger in the weeks starting May 10.
vparam

Post by vparam »

He’s now in the qualifying for Estoril.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Sumit pulled out of Estoril qulies. It seems he is trying for Munich. He is 2 out from qualies now. Prajnesh is 3 out.

A couple of special exempt in main draw yet to clear. Hope he makes it in.