Indians in US College Tennis

All posts regarding specific player and player fans threads are in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Indians in US College Tennis

Post by prasen9 »

Natasha Subhash was ranked #9 this year. Here is a nice article on her. Here is her year in a nutshell: Subhash

Dinesh
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Dinesh »

Nandini Das, who recently graduated from Florida State University has been nominated for NCAA woman of the year. The winner will be selected and announced later this Fall.

Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

prasen9 wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:36 pm Natasha Subhash was ranked #9 this year. Here is a nice article on her. Here is her year in a nutshell: Subhash
Actually, I had very high hopes for Natasha. In 2018, she seemed to be the rising star, now she is just one of the also rans. Geography has changed, but the career path of Indian origin kids have not changed.
When Subhash was four years old, her father, a first-generation immigrant from India, noticed his daughter had unnaturally good hand-eye coordination. He had her pick up a tennis racket, and she hasn’t put it down since, from playing in tournaments from the time she was six years old to traveling the world to play by high school
The above quote actually sums up the problem with Indian origin kids here. They don’t play other sports and focus too much on single sports. The big benefit is that they are fundamentally strong. The challenge is the risk of burning yourself out.

prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

Here is an article on what you are saying: When is it too early for single sport specialization? In some sense, I was lucky in that my daughter played different sports because she did not have the eye towards any single one and eventually landed up doing quite well (in my eyes) in one, which she picked sort of by accident.

knarayen

Post by knarayen »

Too early specialization could be one problem - not developing a winning strategy for finishing off points/games/sets/matches when ahead is another. The latter will require at least one big weapon in your game. This is something that I have noticed consistently in every Indian-origin player, starting from Ramanathan Krishnan to the present day. I had some hopes for RamK and his great serving, but that too is a big disappointment because the mental strength/discipline is lacking. I don't know...this is something of a curse when you see so much talent that doesnt go all the way into the Majors.

Ramanathan Krishnan had great mental strength and skills and he used them to compensate for the lack of a big physical weapon. Same with his son Ramesh. Vijay had the potential to surpass but couldnt for very similar reasons - no big physical weapon. Today's game has a lot of physicality in it and that does not favor Indians, hence our struggles continue.

Prof