Wimbledon 2021

This is a forum where users can follow various tournaments that have Indian participation or are held in India. GrandSlams and Davis Cup should also be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Wimbledon 2021

Post by PKBasu »

The all-India mixed doubles match is the first MxD match at Wimbledon this year -- slated to start at around 4:50pm IST (ie, an hour and a quarter from now). Divij and Samantha (the first couple playing MxD in quite awhile) are scheduled to play 2+ hours later. The last couple I could find was Fognini/Panetta in 2013, but they only got engaged in 2015 and married in 2016. Connors and Evert were engaged at the time they played and won a round (as second seeds) in 1974, then gave a walkover to concentrate on their singles campaigns -- they both won the singles titles that year, but Billie Jean King and Owen Davidson (top seeds) won the Mixed Doubles.

(Apparently the reason the Connors-Evert engagement was broken off was that Chris Evert became pregnant, and unilaterally decided to abort her baby in order to prolong her career; Connors apparently wasn't consulted, and wasn't pleased about the decision; Evert was brought up in a strict Catholic family, so the abortion must have been a hush-hush affair for her).
S_K_S
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by S_K_S »

Players on court for the all Indian challenge

RK/AR won the toss and chose to serve
Prem

Post by Prem »

S_K_S wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:24 am Players on court for the all Indian challenge

RK/AR won the toss and chose to serve
Toss won but match lost.
Easy win for the more experienced team. Ankita was the weakest player as she struggled to hold her serve.
RK/AR played well in second set to force a tie breaker but couldn’t win that either after getting a mini break to start.
RK serves were veer good. Unfortunate that he couldn’t qualify for Singles…
Good luck RB/SM in next round against a local unseeded pair of Aiden McHugh (20 year old) and Emily Wembley-Smith (36 yr).
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Ramkumar/Ankita were blown away in the first set, but dominated the second -- only narrowly failing to win it. Sania (and Rohan) had to dig deep to hold Sania's serve at the end of the set, after she had been broken early. And yes, they narrowly managed to break Ankita's serve to make it 4-4. Ramkumar's serves were unreturnable throughout, but he was unable to return even Sania's serves in the first set (in which Ankita played better than him, other than the serve). The second set was very good from both pairs.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Mahut/Mladenovic have withdrawn, so the draw has really opened up for Sania/Rohan. They have an easy path to the SF where they could face either the 4th seeds (Roger-Vasselin/Melichar) or Venus Williams/Nick Kyrgios.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Mr and Mrs Sharan have swept to the first set, 6-3. Samantha one set away from her first main draw win at Wimbledon (or at any Slam).

[R1] Divij Sharan/Samantha Murray Sharan (IND/GBR) vs. Ariel Behar/Galina Voskoboeva (URG/KAZ) 63 00
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Good win for Sania and Rohan ... Hopefully Mr and Mrs. Sharan join them in next round.
usaindia

Post by usaindia »

jaydeep wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:56 pm Good win for Sania and Rohan ... Hopefully Mr and Mrs. Sharan join them in next round.
they did
usaindia

Post by usaindia »

Sanjay

Post by Sanjay »

PKBasu wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:29 pm Mr and Mrs Sharan have swept to the first set, 6-3. Samantha one set away from her first main draw win at Wimbledon (or at any Slam).

[R1] Divij Sharan/Samantha Murray Sharan (IND/GBR) vs. Ariel Behar/Galina Voskoboeva (URG/KAZ) 63 00
I thought you were joking, but then on googling I was surprised to note that Samantha Murray is indeed married to Divij!
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

[R1] Divij Sharan/Samantha Murray Sharan (IND/GBR) d. Ariel Behar/Galina Voskoboeva (URG/KAZ) 63 57 64

They play 10th seeds Klaasen/Jurak next. Samantha's first main draw victory at Wimbledon (or any Slam)!
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Sanjay wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:53 pm I thought you were joking, but then on googling I was surprised to note that Samantha Murray is indeed married to Divij!
Ha ha. An ardent follower of this forum would have remembered it. This is why this forum is unique.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Talking about tennis weddings; here is an old video from Amritraj-Riske wedding.
Sanjay

Post by Sanjay »

Atithee wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:28 pm
Sanjay wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:53 pm I thought you were joking, but then on googling I was surprised to note that Samantha Murray is indeed married to Divij!
Ha ha. An ardent follower of this forum would have remembered it. This is why this forum is unique.
My journey has been a bit peculiar. I joined this forum in 2005 as I remember but had been following jaykay's tennisindia website since 1999. That was with Nirupama V was playing and Sania was nowhere in sight. The website had a pic of Leander cutting the ribbon in front of a desktop. Then life got in the way and I lost touch with tennis until sometime last year since my son now plays and watches and my old interest from the 80s came back.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »