ATP500 Dubai (14-21 March) 2021

This is a forum where users can follow various tournaments that have Indian participation or are held in India. GrandSlams and Davis Cup should also be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: ATP500 Dubai (14-21 March) 2021

Post by PKBasu »

Very impressive win for Yuki over an in-form Ramkumar, whose serve and forehand were terrific throughout, with the backhand also ramping up later in the match. RamK broke Yuki at love when it mattered in the second set, but Yuki fought back quite brilliantly in the final set to break RamK's serve twice. Yuki's strokeplay and movement were superb throughout, and his volleying was very impressive most of the match (he also had a couple of horrible UFEs at the net in the third set, one an easy overhead that he smashed into the net when he had an open court, but otherwise both players are clearly very good volleyers).

The notable new features of Yuki's game are his stronger volleying and serving (he got out of a tough spot early in the third set with an ace down the line), and his vastly improved movement and speed, which enabled him to pull off some spectacular shots on the run -- down the line, cross-court and passing shots that were often breathtaking.

Yuki is in good shape to make a quick return to the top-100. I hope his match against Beldene is played tomorrow, because I think Yuki will be match-sharp after these two matches (particularly the tough one today against Ramkumar).
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Maybe what you are saying is right. But, I worry about Yuki playing too many matches in a short period of time and getting injured. I think a day's rest would be good for him. He knows what to do to remain match fit.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

sameerph wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:11 pm ... the current India #1.
The current India #1 (de facto) is Sumit on clay and Yuki everywhere else. Maybe a tie between these on slow hard courts.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Bhambri vs Bedene is the second match on Court 2, implying that it should begin around 2:30pm local time (4pm IST). Bedene is the favourite, but I expect that Yuki Bhambri will win.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

prasen9 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:41 pm
sameerph wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:11 pm ... the current India #1.
The current India #1 (de facto) is Sumit on clay and Yuki everywhere else. Maybe a tie between these on slow hard courts.
I think RamK is the undisputed Indian king on grass, Sumit on clay, and Yuki on hard courts.

Now you can also divide the hard courts into fast (Aus Open), Medium (ATP Dubai), and slow (US Open).

My current top 2 for each category:

Grass: Ramk and Yuki
Fast Hard Court: Yuki and RamK (perhaps reversed)
Medium Hard Court: Yuki and Prajnesh
Slow Hard Court: Yuki and Sumit/Prajnesh
Clay: Sumit and Prajnesh
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Sure, on grass with low bounce RamK can defeat Yuki. I was being lazy.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

prasen9 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:40 pm Maybe what you are saying is right. But, I worry about Yuki playing too many matches in a short period of time and getting injured. I think a day's rest would be good for him. He knows what to do to remain match fit.
Fully agree with this. Yuki clearly knows how to play after not having played for over 2 years. It's physical fitness (especially injury prevention) that is the key for him to continue to do well. If I recall correctly, he got injured the last time in IW/Miami Masters after he played a series of hard hitting matches in quick succession, so a day's rest would be good. And, if he goes another couple of rounds, he should take a break the following week.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

I don't think he's in much danger of getting injured right away. Of course, he is taped up and looking fragile as a result. Many noted that he was moving "gingerly", but he was chasing down balls with more vigour and speed today than in that victory over Monfils in August 2017. I think Yuki has put in a huge effort on the physical side over the past 2 years (and especially the past 9 months), and is in pretty good shape as a result. He needs to build on the momentum and win another round or two here.

In the past, he has got injured after a herculean 8-9 month effort of rising through the Futures, Challengers and ATP qualifier route, then winning some rounds in ATP tournaments (after qualifying in). Those type of efforts came at the end of many months of play and travel. This time he is skipping those intermediate steps. I think he is ready to play now, and not in much danger of getting injured in Dubai.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I am sure that he has put in the work but sometimes, your body is such that it breaks down. Here's hoping that Yuki is not in that category and will have an excellent 2021 with some great results and stays largely injury-free the whole year.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

In any case, his match with Bedene is scheduled for today, so no rest for him. I suspect he has the shot making to beat #62 Bedene but not sure if he has the consistency to do so just yet. Perhaps, if he plays as flawlessly as he played Prajnesh, he will win. If he is somewhat scratchy as he was with RamK, Bedene (who is a solid ATP level player) will take advantage.
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

The major positive about Yuki so far is his fitness level, inspite playing an extra match (Dbls) he was well up to the task when he took on Ram and showed no any sign of discomfort in the fitnness area.
With 10 points so far he is just scratching the 1000's, and a R1 victory will get him into 700's and the qtrs into 500's.
And if all of this holds up , surely after Wimbledon should easily crack the top 150.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Yuki dominates the first set to take it 6-3 against Bedene. Absolutely no trouble doing that.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

Yuki had a BP in the first game of the second set on Bedene but couldn't convert. Then Yuki dropped serve in the 4th game and it is now 1-4 in the second. 6-3 1-4
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

Not looking good.S2, he seems to have lost it. Hoping things change in the decider and Yuki can bounce back.

Meanwhile watching the match and the equipment suppliers seem to have returned, the strings have proper Babolat logo,Unlike Singapore where T shirt was blank, now has a Babolat label , as well as sporting a Babolat Cap.
vparam

Post by vparam »

Can someone please post a link to the steaming site. Thanks!