Re: Bugs and errors for the new configuration.... (Suggestions..

Report bugs and errors and enter comments and questions here. Anyone can post in this forum and you do not need to be registered member.
Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dhruv »

Kothai wrote:
x_y_Z_a wrote:
BSharma wrote: Previous link at the old Forum, used to show all posts (message texts) in reverse chronological order for up to 10 pages of 10 posts each. Dhruv, is it possible to have something like that in the new Forum as well?

thanks
kujo
I will second that request. Pleeeeease.
Me too.
Mee toooo
Please read earlier post in thread....
Dhruv wrote:Do you mean you want something like this....

Custom search
nayan
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by nayan »

Yes I think this what they meant. I also think this is a very useful utility. I used to read the forum from there.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

1. When I click on an external page, it opens it within the frame. I had requested it to be opened in the entire browser without retaining the frame, but, I guess that is not done. However, if we open the page in the frame, then when we get back, the page opens back at the top of the page. Is it possible to just get the page back to the place where the link was and the reader was reading, so that they do not have to scroll down again? Or is this done by the browser and you have no control?

2. The left navigation panel is under-utilized. Can we have the "View New posts", "View Active posts", user configuration buttons on the left hand naviation panel top in slightly larger fonts instead on the top of the main frame. Currently, it is of the same color and small font and on the top of the main frame and I do not find them sometimes easily and when one is reading a post, etc., those go away and I have to hit a bunch of backs to get those options.

3. There used to be an option to strikeout text. That appears no more. It is sometimes useful especially when you are trying to be a little light-hearted about things. Can we have that please?
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

That external window matter has been thebiggest problem I have had so far. I think I did not notice it during the beta testing period a few months back ... Jay
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Also for the new posts. Once the post/thread was read, it used to go away the next time I saw the new post list. That is good behavior, imho. Now, the posts/thread I have read and those that I have not all appear in new post. I think the old behavior was better.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

Yep. The posts seem to remain in the list (with black icon rather than brown on the left) and seems to go away rather arbitrarily or something. Also, I am not sure that ALL unread posts are appearing in the list for sure. I have had quite a few occasions where I had to hit "Board index" atthe top for the whole list of forums, to find some "brown icon" forums the unread posts from where I had not seen in one of the "unread posts" lists I had seen .. Seems to be a little unstable, or I am taking a while to figure out the exact behavior now.

I have also had some occasions when the "list new posts" link just was not there at the top and appeared only after I logged out and logged back in. These may not be bugs, but rather things we are taking time to figure out.

Jay
suresh

Post by suresh »

Hi,
My experience is similar to prasen9 and Jay. I really like the read posts disappearing from the list. I have also seen some unread posts NOT appear in the listing.

Suresh
gbelday

Post by gbelday »

Yes, the unread posts behavior is flaky. I am missing out on a lot of posts.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I, too, have not found some unread posts/threads on the list.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I am sorry. I am a bit clumsy with these things, but, I could not browse to the Somdev thread. From the top I went to the Tennis Player Forums and saw the Sania forum and the Golden Oldies listed under there. I browsed under the Tournament Forum and did not see it there either. Can someone please help me figure out how to browse to it? Apologies for asking such a naive question.
x_y_Z_a

Post by x_y_Z_a »

gbelday wrote:Yes, the unread posts behavior is flaky. I am missing out on a lot of posts.
I too miss a lot of unread posts. This bug needs to be fixed on a priority. I feel lost in the forum w/o the previous option of "unread posts".
Thanks in advance.
kujoku

Post by kujoku »

Hi,

This might help in the meantime, while the "unread posts" feature is being fixed.

I use the following link to find out all of the recent posts in reverse chronological order. (i.e. most recent posts first). You can book mark it and use it to find all unread posts.

phpBB3/search.php?search_id=newposts&sr ... h=8000&t=0

However, there is a catch. The "next" link in the above page does not work correctly. So what I do is use the following link for the next page:
phpBB3/search.php?search_id=newposts&sr ... 0&start=15

As you can see, both the links are the same except for the addition at the very end of the second URL link: "&start=15". This means that, start from the 15th post onwards in the "recent list of posts". And, you can change that number to 30, 45, 60, etc to view older and older posts in the forum. Enjoy!

cheers,
kujo
Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dhruv »

x_y_Z_a wrote:
gbelday wrote:Yes, the unread posts behavior is flaky. I am missing out on a lot of posts.
I too miss a lot of unread posts. This bug needs to be fixed on a priority. I feel lost in the forum w/o the previous option of "unread posts".
Thanks in advance.
Umm those are not unread posts that you see but new posts..... difference being a post can be an old post but unread but not vice-versa. I will replace that with an unread posts button shortly.

It is behaving as programmed currently....
Peter

Post by Peter »

Dhruv, The left frame never goes away (browsing with the shiny new Chrome). This is the frame that shows Navigation, User login form (although i am still logged in), Who's online and Syndicate.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

My email inbox is getting inundated because the "notify me when replies are posted" option is ticked off (by default) when I write a post -- and I need to remember to un-tick it each time I write a post. Is there a way to change the default option?