ATP Tennis/Non-India Davis Cup

General Discussion on Indian Tennis - Forums for TennisIndia.org

Moderator: Moderators

jai_in_canada

Re: ATP Tennis/Non-India Davis Cup

Post by jai_in_canada »

Atithee wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:12 pm Retire? I thought he withdrew from French open to be ready for Wimbledon.
We’ve probably seen the last of Federer at Roland Garros. He’s surprised before when he’s been written off, but I suspect that this might be it for him as far as the French Open is concerned.
PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by PKBasu »

Yes, that's very likely. The chances of him playing the French Open voluntarily at 40+ are low...
This year, he used it as a sort of tune-up, truth be told.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

If the rankings hold, we will see a Djokovic-Nadal, and Zverev-Medvedev semis. Seems like an old-guys candidate vs a new-gen candidate playoff. :-)
SaniaFan

Post by SaniaFan »

It is looking unlikely. Djokovich is 2 sets to love down against Musetti. This Musetti guy is really impressive. It seems this is his first grand slam. Still it is to be seen if he can close it. But he looks really calm and composed. Even when he was broken he did not let it affect him much. Some of the shot making was really breathtaking.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

These oldies never fold it seems. Djokovic looks set to equalize. Let us see if the young guy can figure out what Novak is doing and do something differently to get the last set. Fascinating tennis.
SaniaFan

Post by SaniaFan »

This match reminds me of Paes vs Agassi in US open.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Yes, and this pattern is not much new. The greats figure out a way to change strategy, etc. and blunt a newbie's adrenalin-fueled game. Has happened a lot before and will happen a lot in the future.
SaniaFan

Post by SaniaFan »

Musetti retires. I wonder if he is injured or he Ramk'd.
Any way considering this is his first slam it is pretty impressive.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

He called the trainer after the fourth set. It may be a combination of both.
SaniaFan

Post by SaniaFan »

Yes, he may be injured because it seems this was his 2nd 5 set match ever and previous one was the last match. To two back to back 5 setter when you have not played any before may lead to some fitness issue. But I think he still should have continued to complete the match without injuring himself further.
Talking about this, is it fair for Federer to move out of the tournaments after winning the previous match? He has done this multiple times. It like he knew he cannot win so he just withdrew. To me it does not look fair to his fans and also to the tournament organizers.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

I was thinking of the same thing about Federer. If anyone else did it, they’ll be pilloried for disrespecting all aspects of the game. My unbridled respect for Federer has gone down after this. He has done it before too? I didn’t remember that.
jai_in_canada

Post by jai_in_canada »

Atithee wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:52 pm I was thinking of the same thing about Federer. If anyone else did it, they’ll be pilloried for disrespecting all aspects of the game. ..
First of all, Federer cannot be compared to "anyone else". At this stage in his career Federer has earned the privilege of participating in tournaments to the best of his capabilities and with his fitness being a prime consideration. After one of the GOAT careers, and how much he has done to improve tennis' brand in world consciousness, that privilege is well earned. His presence in tournaments does wonders for interest, attendance and viewership. His draw is unparalleled by anyone in the history of tennis. I believe that tournaments, sponsors, ITF, ATP, and even other players are happy to let him carefully work his way back into the tour the best way he feels how. I'm a fan of all the Big Three, and feel that all three have earned this privilege now. Besides, what Federer did is no different than what any other player returning from injury might have done. So, Atithee, go ahead and unbridle your respect for Federer once again. 😊
SaniaFan

Post by SaniaFan »

Unfortunate part is that he has become bigger than the game itself. 7 khoon maaf. BTW there are some ex players also who didn't like it while some approve of this. One can say that there again greats are taking greats side.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.deccan ... 94607.html

Also he should also try not giving post match interview for some grand slam. I want to see if people will give him that leeway as well.
jai_in_canada

Post by jai_in_canada »

SaniaFan wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:00 am Unfortunate part is that he has become bigger than the game itself.
The game has grown as Roger’s stature as an international icon has grown. And as Roger’s stature grew he transcended tennis, and even all of sports. So yes Roger is bigger than tennis. Much bigger. That’s actually fortunate. Cuz tennis has also gotten bigger with him. He has been responsible and respectful towards tennis, it’s history and its stakeholders. So the minions chirping on the sidelines would do well to stop chirping and recognise whom they are whining about. THAT’s not a good look.

Having said all that, I fault Roger for being too transparent about this. If he had kept quiet before the tournament, played as far as he could, and then withdrawn saying that the advice from his team after 3 tough matches was to rest his knee, then these little squeakers would have had nothing to squeak about.

Once again, Roger has done the exact same thing that any other player returning from a major injury lay-off and two major surgeries would have done in their first Grand Slam tournament would have done.
SaniaFan

Post by SaniaFan »

I think every one matters. This thing has certainly put a sour note even with his fans. There was something not right or maybe not done in right way. Also as it happens people expect higher standard from those whom they keep at higher pedestal. I think in terms of slams/wins etc he is at par with Djokovich and Nadal. But still there is something that keeps him apart. That something has diminished.

BTW another stat is that he has never retired in any of the over 1500 matches on the tour. I have seen him limping and completing the match(and some time even winning those!!).

BTW he is my favorite tennis player.