ATP Tennis/Non-India Davis Cup

General Discussion on Indian Tennis - Forums for TennisIndia.org

Moderator: Moderators

jai_in_canada

Re: ATP Tennis/Non-India Davis Cup

Post by jai_in_canada »

SaniaFan wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:49 am I think every one matters. This thing has certainly put a sour note even with his fans. There was something not right or maybe not done in right way.
BTW another stat is that he has never retired in any of the over 1500 matches on the tour. I have seen him limping and completing the match(and some time even winning those!!).

BTW he is my favorite tennis player.
Everyone matters. But Federer matters more. We wouldn't be having this discussion if it was Basilashvili, Bublik, Berankis or Bedene doing the same thing. Not sure what some people are whining about. This is the first Major that Federer was playing after 18 months. He had only played 2 tournaments before this, coming back from injury/surgery time off. Both of those tournaments were best of three set matches. He only won one match in each of those. He had no idea how his body would hold up. Here he was after winning 3 best of 5 set matches, the last one a tough 4 setter. He made a call to withdraw based on how he was feeling figuring he couldn't compete safely in the next match. No problem. He could have taken the court and quit after 1 set. Would that have been better? May be he could have communicated more guardedly. As you say he's proven that he's not a quitter. So why the fuss?
PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by PKBasu »

prasen9 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:55 pm He called the trainer after the fourth set. It may be a combination of both.
Musetti admitted he wasn't injured, but retired because he "wasn't winning any points". That is really unsporting. Someone needs to tell him.

That scoreline (76 76 16 06 04r) was somewhat reminiscent of Premjit Lall's (in)famous match against Rod Laver at Wimbledon in 1969 -- the one Slam match Laver came closest to losing on the way to his calendar Grand Slam. That score was 63 64 36 06 06. Laver said Premjit (who was a part-time cement salesman) "suddenly had cement in his elbow" after 3-3 in the third set. Lall was up 40-30 at 3-all, and Laver hit a desperately short lob that should have been an easy overhead put-away for Premjit, but he put it into the net. Laver never looked back from that point :-(
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Sasha Zverev (GER) was very impressive in his QF win over his fellow-ethnic-Russian Davidovich-Folkina. They share a first-name too, although the Spaniard's name is non-Russified -- Alejandro.

We are one match closer to the dream SF line-up of twenty-somethings (Zverev-Tsitsipas) and thirty-somethings (Nadal-Djokovic) followed by an inter-generation final -- in which the thirty-something player will be the overwhelming favourite (and seeded higher too).
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Zverev-Tsitsipas is confirmed. The old-guard half is on.

PKB, now that we know that by using the "Russian" tag you mean ethnic, at least I will interpret it as that and you do not have to put "ethnic" every time you use it, imho. We were just curious as to why you were denying Zverev's German-ness and it seems you were not. Thanks.
jai_in_canada

Post by jai_in_canada »

Once again I bemoan the travesty that are the men's seedings at this year's FO. What might happen is that Nadal-Djokovic pummel each other for a brutal 5 sets. If that happens then the victor is going to be so bruised that he is likely to not recover in time for the final. Which is going to make it easy for Tsi-squared in the final. Instead if the two all time greats had been on the opposite sides of the draw we would have had gripping semis and a mind-blowing historic final. Dang FO seeding morons have denied tennis an awesome final.
SaniaFan

Post by SaniaFan »

What are your predictions?
Mine are final between Nadal and Tsitsipas and winner is Tsitsipas.
jai_in_canada

Post by jai_in_canada »

SaniaFan wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:23 am What are your predictions?
I'm going to give you a convoluted answer. :D

So what are my predictions? Depends on which part of me you ask. My intuition agrees with you i.e. Tsitsipas wins FO 2021 over Nadal in the final in 5 sets after an easier semi for Tsitsipas (over Zverev) and a brutal semifinal for Nadal (over Djokovic). My heart says Djokovic - because that would make him the first player in 50+ years to have won all 4 slams twice, and it would be monumental to stop Nadal at lucky #13. But my mind, such as it is, says Nadal will win FO 2021. Because how can anyone rationally bet against Nadal at the French Open? My mind says that Nadal will beat Djokovic in 4 sets in the semis, and be good and ready to whip the young buck in the final.

So which part of me do I trust? My heart, my gut or my mind? My tendency is to trust my (somewhat) rational mind. But life has taught me to trust my intuition, and forget about analyzing things. I've ruled out what my heart is telling me, because it has no basis in reality. So the battle is between my gut (Tsitsipas) and my mind (Nadal).

In this case I'm going to go with my mind :p and say Nadal - in 4 sets over both Djokovic and Tsitsipas.
Ayush1234567
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Ayush1234567 »

SaniaFan wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:23 am What are your predictions?
I love the underdogs.
Zverev will win against Tsitsipas and Djokovic against Nadal.
Zverev Will Win The Title!!
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

My money is on Zverev - Nadal final.

Zverev will win a brutal five setter over TSitsipas and Nadal wins In straight sets over Djoker.
Nasal over Zverev in 4 sets.
jai_in_canada

Post by jai_in_canada »

Kumar wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:48 pm Nasal over Zverev in 4 sets.
Good thing "Nasal" is not playing Istomin ... because he "aMy" need an anti-istomin.😁
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

jai_in_canada wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:30 am
Kumar wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:48 pm Nasal over Zverev in 4 sets.
Good thing "Nasal" is not playing Istomin ... because he "aMy" need an anti-istomin.😁
:notworthy: :notworthy: You are too good and have a long memory

:tomato: And I need to start wearing my reading glasses and should probably turn off those tablet suggestions
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I am not a betting person but Kumar's seems like the safe bet.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

prasen9 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:34 pm I am not a betting person but Kumar's seems like the safe bet.
Ok! I got the duration of first match right, but not the winner. Congratulations Tsitsipas !
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Looks like I will be wrong on both counts. Nadal’s age appears to have caught up with him. May have had a chance if he had won the third set. Lost in 4 sets, losing the last 6 games in row.

This could be the end of Nadal’s French open run.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

Yes, I also had a Nadal-Tsitsipas final with Nadal winning the title. So, perhaps his run of victories at the French Open may also now be over. I think Djokovic should be a clear favorite in the final.