Thank You, Sunil Yajaman! (leaving AITA..)

General Discussion on Indian Tennis - Forums for TennisIndia.org

Moderator: Moderators

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

Bad news for Indian tennis. Sunil Yajaman has left AITA for personal reasons. He announced this today. He has been going through a very difficult time lately with the passing of his father a few weeks back and now has to leave AITA and be in Bangalore. Unsure what he will be doing next, but he leaves with a heavy heart and has said that his time with AITA was a great time. This is indeed for personal reasons only.

He was a pillar of strength for AITA when it came to the juniors. I am sure all the great juniors we have produced in the last few years will all agree about how much of a part SY played in the development of their careers. Quite an unusual story of somebody who cared a lot in Indian sports, and quite a story of how one man can indeed make a difference.

This came as a sad/shocking news for me today as he emailed about it.

Please join me in thanking Sunil for all he has done for everybody. I wish him all the best in whatever he does from now on in his life.

Jay

PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by PKBasu »

Sad to hear the news about Sunil Yajaman. He was a one-man coaching and inspirational brigade for the juniors, and his departure will leave a serious void.

A few weeks ago, I had the opportunity to interact with him when an Australian coach heading to Bombay arrived in Singapore enroute and of course had neglected to obtain a visa. Sunil contacted me over the weekend, I spoke to the High Commission to get the paperwork done quickly and the Aussie coach was on his way by Monday evening. Shows the odds that an Indian sports administrator is often confronted with, and how a resourceful one can get things done.

Sunil has been indefatigable in creating a veritable assembly-line of promising juniors in recent years, and doing everything possible to get them going in the early stages of their pro careers. It is at the next stage that our 19-21-year-olds need more help. Sunil's absence will be felt acutely at the key early stage of junior's careers, and we now need two people to replace him -- one at the stage he dealt with, and someone who will focus on the upcoming 19-21 year olds.

BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

Sunil, I am sorry to hear about your father, and may God give you the strength to deal with this tragic loss.

It is said that the best way to judge a coach or a mentor is to look at his or her students. There is no doubt that Sunil has left a big mark on Indian tennis and his students are going to shine brightly for many years to come, and in turn they will leave Sunil's mark on their students.

Thanks Sunil for everything that you have done at AITA and for the tennis players, Indian tennis fans, and the Indian tennis forum members. You will always have a special place in my heart, and I hope that you will continue to help and guide Indian tennis players in Bangalore.

kathiresan_v

Post by kathiresan_v »

Sad to hear that you are leaving AITA, Sunil Yejaman. Thank you for all the wonderful job done by you in the recent years for development of juniors and Indian tennis overall.

Wish you all the best for a great future, and hope you will somewhat associate with Indian tennis and guide the younger hopes in the future too. May god give you ample strength to come out of all adversities.

Kathir

suresh

Post by suresh »

Sunil, Thanks a lot for all the good work that you have done. In
fact, the rewards of your hard work will be seen in the coming
years when your "wards" begin to fly.

Sunil Yajaman

Post by Sunil Yajaman »

Dear Tennis India Friends,

I would like to thank you all for bidding me farewell & this is indeed very special to me. These are very valuable in one’s life & thank you for making me feel special. I don’t know if I deserve this but it just made me realize how important & responsible my position was. I have put in my best efforts in various areas of Indian Tennis where I could make a difference because I loved to. I’m sure that anyone in my place with the same opportunity would have done the same. I have had a great time at AITA which has taught me a lot in life. The experience I have gained here is enormous & I wish to use this back in the game of Tennis. I appreciate all the co-operation & support I received from the players, Coaches and all you friends at the Tennis India forum. One of the best things that happened to Indian Tennis is Tennisindia.org. This brain child of Jay is very encouraging to many Indian players & it is certainly making helluva difference to their confidence & career. You guys are doing a splendid job in your own way by writing in it. I only request you to continue doing so.

I can very confidently say that no other sport is more challenging than Tennis. We are not making a mistake by comparing & expecting our kids to match the Europeans or Americans or Australians but only giving them a hope that they can be as good as them. Think of all the differences between the Indians & others. Tennis is certainly expensive for Indians & how many Indian players, who have the will or potential, support themselves even to reach a certain level where they could muster of some? The kids in the developed countries grow up in an environment which teaches them to be independent right from a very young age. This mentality makes a huge difference in a game like Tennis. Here in India, it only looks good that the kids are brought up to respect elders (even if they are not right!), fall at elders feet, accept whatever is told to them, call their coach ‘SIR’ & nothing else so basically, always tend to remain in a shell they find it hard to break when it is necessary. Talking about the weather, I think the Europeans are just blessed to train year /day long. There is quality in the air they breathe or water they drink & even food they eat. Our children are brought up eating Chat / Rasam & other foods which contains more of spices. Could this also be a reason for the lack of good growth along with the genes? How many places have facilities to play Tennis in India? I strongly feel it is the responsibility of the Government to build a sporting infrastructure in every locality of every town. To top it all, I continue to pray to god to put sense into the people responsible to create an academic syllabus which would help the children to excel in any area that they can be good at. Engineering & Medicine is still considered to the ‘only’ profession with many families across the country. I’m sure many of the engineers or doctors today would have made a more successful Tennis or a hockey player or even a cricketer. What is needed to make a better & responsible human being is not a University degree but, the understanding of what life is all about. It is only good that most of the Public sector companies & even private ones offer jobs to successful sportspersons. Can we compare many of our parents who find it difficult to make their ends meet to the ones in these developed countries who earn in dollars / euros because ultimately, the spending amount is nearly the same for all who wishes to make a champion in Tennis. While saying this I am not forgetting the likes of about Navratilova, Seles, Dokic who have all come up the hard way but only talking about averages. I will accept that there are a lot of improvements required in areas like coaching, training, opportunities compared to the other countries. But, knowing all these, we still expect our players to perform at the same level as that of a European / American. Hats off to our players like Krishnans, Amritrajs, Lee, Mahesh, Bopanna, Mankad or our present juniors like Karan, Somdev, Divij, Tushar, Sania, Megha, Isha & many others who have been swallowing all the short comings & trying to be at par with the best in the world. Who can understand what these players go through? Dealing with injuries, finances, managing the travel, whether they are stressed / depressed, but they are expected to win & the best part is that they have done it. Can we even compare all these pressures in a sport like Cricket / Football / hockey / Kabbadi, Kho Kho, etc? But then when it comes to recognition, judgment doesn’t look fairly into all aspects.

But, with so many shortcomings for sports in India, I think the Tennis players are doing a tremendous job & I stand to salute each one of them.

We at the Tennis India forum need to stand by these players & keep encouraging them. With everyone’s efforts we shall one day see India in the list of Powerful Nations in world Tennis. I will in my own personal capacity would work towards the promotion of Tennis & help out the needy players whenever there is an opportunity.

I have only done the easiest part of helping out some players either giving them advice on technical / tactical aspects, planning their tournament schedule / Periodisation / motivation. It is they who have been doing the most difficult part. I would not hesitate in telling that some of these juniors have been a motivating factor for me to a very great extent. Moreover, they have been very good friends to me. I’m sure each one of them will go on to be the best they can be. A small piece of advice to all the players – Tennis is just not beating the player on the other side of the net, but is about exceeding one’s own limitations & pushing to get better. You are your own competitor & it is all within yourself. Results of the matches are secondary. At the end of it, play to impress yourself & not others. I believe in Tennis is a game of HOW much the player WANTS. Enjoy what you are doing & be loyal to the game’s demands.

I will be here on the forum regularly sharing my views & keeping in touch with you. Thanks once again for this wonderful recognition which I will always cherish.

Sunil Yajaman

jana

Post by jana »

Thanks a lot Sunil on behalf of the Indian tennis players for the wonderful
professional service you have done sitting in the right place. Right man for the right job. Please take a break and come back to your right ful place to guide Indian tennis to the next level. Only problem with Indian sport is that, good things dont continue for long.

Our condolences on your berevement and wishing you all the very best in life

jana

Raja

Post by Raja »

Hi, I had recently been to AITA office for some work when I went there during a tournament. I just felt like mentioning that Sunil is missed very much when we walk into the AITA office. He was clearly the person whom we could relate to in the office with anything about the game & he was very helpful. Sunil's absence is so evident that we cant discuss much about Tennis with anyone in the AITA office as it is filled with people who have very little knowledge of the game (sorry to say this but it is a fact)! Sunil is a big loss to AITA as he was a good motivator with a lot of life & a very good person. Rightly Jana mentioned that good things dont last too long in our country for whatever the reasons are. I'm not a prospective professional but the younger players need him badly.

We miss you Sunil. Good luck in whatever you are doing but always be there for the players. I feel it would be very difficult for AITA to find a suitable replacement for Sunil.