Tokyo Olympic 2020 - Hockey

A forum to discuss Indian hockey and the disarray it is in despite the promising new professional PHL series.

Moderator: Moderators

srini

Re: Tokyo Olympic 2020 qualification - Hockey

Post by srini »

My assessment is we haven't progressed anywhere, but European teams seem to have regressed a lot and all at same level playing field now (Spain 3-3 draw and 3-2 with France ?? Netherlands drew one with Pak??) Only that is making us look competitive i think , we will know soon in PHL.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

Piddly island beat Malaysia 9-3 on aggregate. So the men's final field is: JPN, ARG, RSA, BEL, AUS as continental champions and ESP, NED, CAN, IND, NZL, GER, GBR as at-large teams.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Top 10 ranked teams are all there. 11th ranked Malaysia and 12th ranked France could not make it. Instead of that Japan and South Africa have made it thru continental qualfiers. A very competitive field, I think there is not a huge gap in the top 10 teams.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Yeah, but Malaysia had their chances. They beat India, but lost to Japan last year and to GBR now. I'm still trying to figure out how Japan ended up winning Asiad. When did they become good in hockey?
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

We beat Japan 8-0 in the preliminary rounds at Asiad only to lose to Malaysia in the SF. That was a surprise. We are generally way ahead of other Asian teams now ( especially since both Pak and Korea have regressed badly). We had no business losing to Malaysia. Japan may prove a spilsport for some teams at their home though. Hope it is not against us. They are likely to be in our group at Tokyo.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

We will lose to Australia and Argentina, beat Spain, draw/lose to NZ and beat/draw Japan in the group stages is my current prediction.

Will lose to Belgium in the quarters.

We have obviously progressed a lot in the last decade. We are closer to #1 Australia, than #11 (and #2 Asian team) Malaysia is to us.

What we haven't progressed in is our inherent ability to choke and collapse under pressure.
indiansportsfan

Post by indiansportsfan »

I think our hockey teams as well as a few of our other sportspersons like Deepika and Manu really need some good counseling from a sports psychologist to calm down in tense situations.
srini

Post by srini »

jayakris wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:43 pm When did they become good in hockey?
Japan targeted 30 Golds in Olympics..So what do they do? They came, they saw (literally like LAGAAN movie guys saw Britishers playing Cricket) and they figured that they can fancy their chances in a world sport like Hockey which has lowest number of world standard teams. So their job becomes easy in that they can not only develop a strategy at opponent team level but at individual player level.So let's not read too much into the 8-0 thrashing they had with India in Asiad group game, for all we know it could be for preparing inputs to their video analysts.It's more than a year from that game and we are still one more year away from playing our Olympics group game with them.

My prediction - We certainly beat all European and SouthAmerican opponents in groups thanks to their economic distress (ie, Spain and Argentina). We lose to Aussies.With NZ its a draw or win more probably a draw. With Japan its a draw or a loss more probably a loss, comme onnn.... for Japanese 2 years time to prepare is like preparing for a life time.
RohitG

Post by RohitG »

So they followed a scientific approach to reach their targets.. why am I not surprised? Why can't our people do the same
ssp

Post by ssp »

Post by srini » Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:20 pm

My assessment is we haven't progressed anywhere, but European teams seem to have regressed a lot and all at same level playing field now (Spain 3-3 draw and 3-2 with France ?? Netherlands drew one with Pak??) Only that is making us look competitive i think , we will know soon in PHL.
We have improved a bit in the last decade or so. Mainly on fitness and some defensive structure but remain pathetic under pressure and of course panic, in both circles. Of the European teams, only Spain has regressed (due to funding issues) and possibly Germany (although I think their WR 6 is incorrect). GB & NZ have remained at similar levels. France, Ireland and Austria have made progress. Belgium have become a brilliant team and Netherlands remain formidable too.

In modern hockey, fitness, discipline, speed and strong basic skills (trapping, slap hitting, tackling cleanly etc) will ensure good results. So a team like France, Ireland, Austria and even Russia will reach a decent level fairly quickly, but the top 4 require exceptionally talented players which is why the likes of Australia, Netherlands, Germany & Belgium are so good. To remain there, the domestic hockey scene needs to be properly organised. Asian teams lack most or all of the above requirements. It's no good to have really clever stick work when you can't trap the ball cleanly or panic once in the circle or don't run back to cover or mark properly!
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Tokyo Olympic 2020 - Hockey

Post by jaydeep »

The FIH has now confirmed the Tokyo 2020 pools ... We are in the tougher pools, our men's team with the 2016 Rio Men’s Gold medallists, Argentina (WR #4), Australia (WR #1), Spain (WR #8), New Zealand (WR #9) and hosts Japan (WR #15) ... And our women's team with the 2016 Rio Women’s Gold medallists, Great Britain (WR #5), the Netherlands (WR #1), Germany (WR #4), Ireland (WR #8), and South Africa (WR #16)

Men
Pool A: Australia, Argentina, India, Spain, New Zealand, Japan
Pool B: Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Great Britain, Canada, South Africa

Women
Pool A: Netherlands, Germany, Great Britain, Ireland, India, South Africa
Pool B: Australia, Argentina, New Zealand, Spain, China, Japan

PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

We are actually in the (slightly) easier pool. Australia are unbeatable, but Argentina are not. Spain and Japan should be relatively easy to beat. New Zealand is always tricky for us, but hopefully our players will be able to hold their nerve in Asia.

The other pool has the European heavyweights Belgium, Germany and the Netherlands. Plus GB, who are usually very good at world events.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

We need to finish 3rd or better to avoid Belgium in the quarters. We can beat NL and Germany on a good day.
srini

Post by srini »

Let me try to predict the Quarters linep.

Group A : Australia, Japan, India, NZ in that order.
Group B : Belgium, Great Britain, Netherlands and Germany in that order.
suresh

Post by suresh »

srini wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:27 am Let me try to predict the Quarters linep.

Group A : Australia, Japan, India, NZ in that order.
Group B : Belgium, Great Britain, Netherlands and Germany in that order.
Japan (WR15) ahead of India (WR5) and NZ (WR9)? Does that have something to do with home cooking?