Champions Trophy Hockey, Breda,Netherlands, June 23-July 1 2018

A forum to discuss Indian hockey and the disarray it is in despite the promising new professional PHL series.

Moderator: Moderators

sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Champions Trophy Hockey, Breda,Netherlands, June 23-July 1 2018

Post by sameerph »

Next up for our team is the champions trophy starting from June 23 under new coach Harendra.

This is the team selected for the tournament-

Goalkeepers: Sreejesh Parattu Raveendran (C), Krishan Bahadur Pathak
Defenders: Harmanpreet Singh, Varun Kumar, Surender Kumar, Jarmanpreet Singh, Birendra Lakra, Amit Rohidas
Midfielders: Manpreet Singh, Chinglensana Singh Kangujam (vice-captain), Sardar Singh, Vivek Sagar Prasad
Forwards: Sunil Sowmarpet Vitalacharya, Ramandeep Singh, Mandeep Singh, Sumit Kumar (Jr.), Akashdeep Singh, Dilpreet Singh

So, out goes Rupinder Pal,Kothajit,Gurinder from defence, Sumit from midfield, Gurjant and Lalit from forwards. Sardara and Ramandeep are back but Akashdeep and Mandeep remain.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Re: Champions Trophy Hockey, Breda,Netherlands, June 23-July 1 2018

Post by sameerph »

Teams playing here are top 4 ranked - Australia,Argentina,Belgium and Netherlands and India and Pakistan.

Our matches are with Pak on June 23, Argentina on June 24, Australia on June 27,Belgium on June 28 and Netherlands on June 30.
ssp

Post by ssp »

Pathetic decision to keep Akashdeep and Mandeep in the team. Why? These two have been consistently poor for several years, but the selectors continue to keep out Affan Youssef, Armaan Qureshi and Nikkin Thimiah. We seem short of numbers in midfield again. Pleased to see Jarmanpreet given a chance. He has had to wait a long time. Sumit jnr is a good addition.

Given our poor year so far,and the selection of the 2 forwards I mentioned above, I am not expecting too much for this tournament.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by jaydeep »

ssp wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:06 am Pathetic decision to keep Akashdeep and Mandeep in the team. Why? These two have been consistently poor for several years
Other than us, every coach having belief on these two ... :kookoo:
ssp wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:06 am Pleased to see Jarmanpreet given a chance. He has had to wait a long time.
Really happy to see Jarmanpreet get selected in the team ... Creditable comeback after serving 2 yrs ban, from last year he was back in ONGC team and with his domestic performances he gets selected in the team on credit. :notworthy:

Jarmanpreet endures dope ban, makes it to Indian hockey team - Nice write-up in TOI.
But his career hit a major roadblock in February 2015 when he failed a random dope test during HIL. After his samples tested positive for 19-norandrosterone, a metabolite of nandrolone (an anabolic steroid), he copped a two-year ban after it was established at a National Anti-Doping Agency hearing that the prohibited substance in his body was not intentionally injected.
Jarmanpreet had contested that the failed test was a result of an injection administered by a medical practitioner in his home town, Amritsar, for lower back pain in December 2014.

Hockey India’s high performance director David John - “I’ve watched him play in the inter-petroleum tournament and at the senior Nationals. What I saw was a supremely fit player with outstanding skill sets. He is an attacking defender who plays smart hockey. We wanted to give him an opportunity to rebuild his career and Champions Trophy offers that opportunity. It is an important tournament for him with the Asian Games and World Cup scheduled this year. He was among the top 2-3 players at the selection trials. I’m glad the boy did not give up on hockey and his dreams.”
ssp

Post by ssp »

Jaydeep, thanks for the info. I was wondering why Jarmanpreet was not being selected. I watched him at one of the Johor Cup tournaments and he looked solid in central midfield or right side or defence. He is definitely a good addition.

Not sure if the selectors take any notice of the shortcomings of Mandeep and Akashdeep. These two can do their worst and still be in the next squad. Maddening nonsense. Why hamper our slim chances of success by handicapping the team like this? Sacking the coach is the first thing these guys do when we perform poorly. In my opinion 3 changes to this squad would make a big difference to our performance. The 2 'star' forwards could be replaced by Armaan Qureshi and Affan Yossef and Gurbaj instead of Amit Rohidas.

Chinglensana has been around for several years and although he ha improved, I feel we need something extra from our midfielders. Hopefully Sumit or Manpreet jnr from the U21 WC winning team will return for the Asian games.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Totally agree with you assessment SSP ... We are having players in folds, but need to move these dead woods.
ssp

Post by ssp »

Just noticed that Akashdeep and Sumit jnr have been replaced by Lalit and Simranjeet Singh. Not sure why, but presume it's injury related. Shame about Sumit jnr because he seems to have some quality to create chances or win PCs.

We start against Pakistan today. Let's hope for some improvement on the CWG and Azlan Shah showings. I really hope Harendra proves to be a successful coach and is given a long stint to bring us success in the coming years.
ssp

Post by ssp »

4-0 win over Pakistan. Last 2 goals came after Oltmans gambled by taking off their keeper.
Good result, but I'd like some results against Argentina, Belgium and Holland. We usually lose to Australia.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Always good to have a comprehensive thrashing off Pakistan! But how the heck are Pakistan playing in the Champions Trophy?

Big match tomorrow against Argentina!
Saniapower

Post by Saniapower »

India always lose to Argentina.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Saniapower wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:10 pm India always lose to Argentina.
ALWAYS is reserved for India losing to Iran in volleyball as far as Indian sports is concerned. :D
ssp

Post by ssp »

Actually India has a list of countries it always loses to in various sports. In hockey, there a huge list, but Australia is at the top, followed by Holland, Germany, Belgium, Argentina, England and NZL.
In Commonwealth games or Olympics, the English always beat us in crucial situations. We must have lost about 10 medal matches/bouts at the CWG a few months ago.
In test cricket: any white team away from home is a guaranteed loss.
Archery: Koreans
Badminton: Chinese, Koreans, Japanese
Volleyball: Iran in Asia and most teams outside Asia :-(
Last edited by ssp on Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ssp

Post by ssp »

I watched the Belgium v Australia game and the speed and physical power of both teams (especially the Aussies) is beyond our players. They also have far superior trapping and passing skills. Our guys are prone to unforced errors and hurried or plain silly decisions all over the pitch. This releases any pressure on the opposition because they have possession without having to run too hard for it.
I suspect we will slowly sink to the bottom of the table by next weekend. I'm hoping we can get at least a couple of good performances and maybe get a draw or sneak a win in the remaining 4 pool matches.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

India beat Argentina 2-1. There you go, the monkey is off our back!!

Goals by Harmanpreet (PC) in the 17th minute and Mandeep Singh in the 28th minute (field goal). Gonzalo Peillat scored for Argentina off a PC in the 30th minute.

INDIA NOW ATOP THE STANDINGS in the Champions Trophy!!
Last edited by PKBasu on Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

We are actually playing good hockey, again? Great!