Moderator: Moderators

Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Santosh Trophy-2010

Post by Sandeep »

Bengal bt Mizoram 7-1 while Tamil Nadu drew against Delhi (1-1) . There is so little information about Santosh trophy on the net that I couldn't even find a points table for the quarter finals league!
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by jaydeep »

Sandeep wrote:There is so little information about Santosh trophy on the net that I couldn't even find a points table for the quarter finals league!
Sandeep, u can find all latest information about ongoing Santosh tropy on All India Football Federation site ... Here is current points table standing.

Team Standing
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by Sandeep »

Punjab bt Karnataka 5-1 while Goa blanked Services 4-0. Both Punjab and Goa are in the semifinals now with Goa looking ominous winning all the three matches in the quarterfinals stage.

Today Delhi will play Mizoram while West Bengal will play Tamil Nadu. All three teams (TN, WB and Delhi) are with a chance to enter into the semifinals. It will be very interesting.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Goa, Punjab, TN and WB qualified for the semis. TN defeated Bengal. So, I guess Bengal v Goa meets the winner of Punjab v TN. Delhi was the ultimate egalitarian, they drew with everybody (TN, WB, Mizoram) irrespective of whether they topped the group or bottomed conceding a zillion goals.
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by Sandeep »

Poor display from Delhi, a win yesterday could have taken them into the semifinals!! It is TN Vs punjab and Goa Vs WB in the semifinals.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Mizoram screwd Kerala too earlier in the PQF. Kerala was looking like gangbusters, but laid a 0-1 egg against Mizo... Jay
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

The Santosh Trophy comes back to where it belongs after a long 12 years :-) Sorry for the parochialism, guys. Bengal defeated Punjab in the finals, 2-1.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Yeah, that was like an old old fashioned Santosh trophy final. Bengal against Punjab!.. I am really glad to see Bengal again winning it after a such a long period by WB standards, though there is nothing like where the trophy belongs, unless you are referring to Bengal being near Bangladesh :) (the place Santosh whose King it is named after, is in Bangladesh now if I am not mistaken)

Jay
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I said the "where it belongs" half in jest. The trophy is named after the Maharaja of Santosh. Yes, Santosh is in Bangladesh. The IFA had donated the trophy and Bengal had won it over 30 times or so. Of course, the trophy belongs to all of India and for one year at a time to whoever wins it. My elation was partly because they won in after such a long gap. Punjab is the #2 in the all-time winners list; I think they won 8 and Goa and Kerala would come next followed by Maharashtra who win it by fluke from time to time :-) It was an old-fashioned semi-final list except that Kerala did not take their slot. We need football to be strong in Kerala. And perhaps in the urban centers of Mumbai, Delhi, Bangalore etc. to get the largest junior pools.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Oh, and thanks to Kerala for giving us Devadas.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

And thanks to both Bengal and Kerala (and others) for giving us a part of the great nation of India.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Atithee wrote:And thanks to both Bengal and Kerala (and others) for giving us a part of the great nation of India.
Absolutely. And thanks to both India and Pakistan (and others) for giving us a part of the great continent of Asia.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Santhosh Trophy.

Post by jayakris »

It is rare not to find a thread we had created somewhere during 15 years, that works for almost any sports event in India, but somehow we never created a Santhosh Trophy thread! So, here it is.

A terrific final is in store this Sunday, between (who else?) Kerala and Bengal!!! At the Salt Lake stadium. Can it get any better?

Kerala beat Mizoram 1-0 and Bengal beat Karnataka 2-0 in the semifinals. This is like the 14th final for Kerala, and probably the 1400th final or whatever for Bengal :)
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Re: Santhosh Trophy.

Post by jaydeep »

jayakris wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:32 pm It is rare not to find a thread we had created somewhere during 15 years, that works for almost any sports event in India, but somehow we never created a Santhosh Trophy thread! So, here it is.
I found five different Santosh trophy threads ... I have clubbed all together making it one, including yours ... ;)
prasen9

Re: Santhosh Trophy.

Post by prasen9 »

Jay did not search titles? That is how I revive very dead threads :-) because a search brings those up.