Test series in 2017

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Test series in 2017

Postby prasen9 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:37 pm

Yes, India should have started hitting about 10 overs earlier or even more. There was really no chance we would lose this game. This team looks out for a lot of personal milestones. Kohli almost always waits overs for people to finish their 100s and 50s and 200s before declaring. When Pujara was about 175 and Saha about 75, they should have been told to get as many singles as they can. India played like Shastri. First, they defended all the good balls on stumps and padded every ball outside the leg-stump. Then, they tried to loft over the infield when trying to accelerate. John Wright was a revolutionary for our ODI team. He stressed the power of singles, which many of us have identified as *the* most-important thing in getting and keeping a good run-rate. Kohli knows that and does that all the time. But, in tests, this team seems to have forgotten that as a strategy. They block and then try to loft. Risk management would have had them take singles 10 to 20 overs before they started hitting.

But, at the end of the day, this was a pretty bad pitch. There was really nothing in it for the bowlers. Hope Dharamsala gives us a pitch with a bit more life in it.

PKBasu

Postby PKBasu » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:37 am

Kohli's howler as captain yesterday was not to give Ashwin any bowling before lunch (apart from a SINGLE over right toward the end of the session). Especially since Kohli recognised afterwards that the hard new ball was turning, while the older ball wasn't doing as much, he should have brought Ashwin into the attack much earlier -- and not wasted the morning getting his two pacers to bowl a defensive line well outside off stump.

prasen9

Postby prasen9 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:35 pm

That is spot on. Kohli is not an aggressive captain. He always wants two pace bowlers in India. That is traditional thinking especially when the pace-bowlers are support bowlers once in a while at best. An aggressive captain would have brought in someone like Kuldeep in the team to throw in a novelty factor. And, used Ashwin early on on Day 5. You go with your best bowlers and attack to take the heart of the batting side out. You do not wait for later when people are set, the ball is soft, etc.

Atithee

Postby Atithee » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:34 pm

Just replace Ishant with anyone and we will do better. We have no room for work horses. Enough already.

prasen9

Postby prasen9 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:59 pm

If we go with three pacers, it should be Bhuvi, Shami, and Umesh. We have to make the hard call and drop one of Jadeja or Ashwin. The Dharamsala pitch sees 200 as a fighting total. In a low scoring match, we do not need 5 batsmen.

I hope the curator takes off all grass from the pitch.

Then, it will be swing. In that case, I would use Bhuvi and Shami with the two spinners. Bold decision. But, you have to make these calls and not be a passive captain.

It would be stupid to play with 5 bowlers if they feel that the match will never last 5 days. The sixth batsman is crucial.

Maybe a flat batting pitch would not be bad. One like Ranchi if there will be swing in the air. If it is bright and hot and there will be no swing in the air, then make the pitch a bit faster and break down a bit faster than in Ranchi.

Hope all these if-then-else's make sense.

prasen9

Postby prasen9 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:11 pm

PKBasu wrote:The only question for me is: will Australia last until lunch today? My sense is that they won't!

I thought prasen9 had some special insight into the Ranchi weather, with his precise estimates of the number of overs within which India must bowl out Australia :D

If you saw what Jadeja did to bowl out Warner and Lyon, you should have few reasons to doubt an easy India win today...!
PKB, my estimates were not precise. I thought if the Aussies bat for around 70 overs, India would need about 20 overs to get those runs. Maybe that could be 10 overs. But, ideally, leaving 20 overs to bat would have been desirable. I took 2 overs off and then used a run-rate of 2.5 to 3 and it seemed that if the Aussies batted beyond 70 overs, it would have been hard to win. Note that here, they can bowl negatively outside the leg-stump and bowl short, etc. The Indian bats were not able to score off short balls and off those pitched on the rough in I1. Hence, it seemed more than 10 overs would be needed because you cannot hope for a run-rate of 8. Best is that you can hope for a run-rate around 4.5 or 6 at max. 10-15 overs would have cut it too short.

Anyway, all that is useless. You have to take opposition wickets first. And, India could not do that :-(

Given that some idiot put the final match of the series in Dharamsala, we are now playing in foreign grounds to win a home series. Hopefully, the pitch will be shorn of grass and maybe even rolled well to be a low-bounce batting pitch to even up the contest.

jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Postby jaydeep » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:50 pm

Mumbai batsman Shreyas Iyer has been called up to Dharamsala as cover for Kohli, who still hasn't completely recovered from his shoulder injury.

prasen9

Postby prasen9 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:41 pm

I am so glad it is Iyer and not Rohit. Thank god.

PKBasu

Postby PKBasu » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:58 am

This is because Rohit has neither regained form (16 and 4 in two Hazare trophy matches) nor fitness (he has now dropped out of the Deodhar trophy with a "knee niggle").

prasen9

Postby prasen9 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:25 pm

God! PKB, I had one little source of happiness and now you burst the balloon. Rohit is good friends with Kohli and Rahane, etc. He has played several good ODI innings. So, he keeps coming back. Hope MSK shows some spine and goes along with Nair and Iyer. Both are very talented and it will be a Hodge-ian travesty of justice if they are not given a fair run and Rohit is persisted with despite his numerous failures and technical deficiencies that will be shown up in test matches abroad.

prasen9

Postby prasen9 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:30 pm

My XI would be:

[Spinning pitch (due to Mir-Jafars in our boards, this will possibly not happen)]
Rahul, Vijay, Pujara, Kohli, Rahane, Nair, Saha, Ashwin, Jadeja, Bhuvi, Shami

[Batting pitch]
Take out Nair and bring in Umesh

[Low scoring match likely with lots of swing and help for pacers]
Take out Ashwin and bring in Umesh

For heavens sake, please keep Ishant out.

Prashant

Postby Prashant » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:57 pm

All your lineups include Kohli who is apparently only 50-50 to play. I wonder if they throw Shreyas Iyer in at #6 if Kohli doesn't play...

ankit1407
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Postby ankit1407 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:57 pm

Replace Ishant with Shami/ Bhuvi ( whoever is fit) ..Iyer comes in if Kohli can't play..that is the only change i would do if given choice: )

prasen9

Postby prasen9 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:05 pm

Well, the Iyer for Kohli is an obvious choice. That is not a tactical choice. So, I do not want to spend words talking about it.

And, now CI says that Vijay is injured too. Stupidity! Vijay is unfortunately too fragile at this age. Just when we seemed to be having a solid opening pair given the maturing of Rahul, Vijay gets unplugged.

Also, given their current batting forms, I would send Saha ahead of Ashwin.

indiansportsfan

Postby indiansportsfan » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:53 pm

If Vijay is injured, they should get Parthiv. I have zero confidence in Mukund. Similarly Nair on a seaming pitch is a walking wicket. Given the fragile nature of our batting, it would have been prudent to prepare a featherbed and hope for a draw. Might be too late now!!

Return to “The Cricket Forum”