Leander Paes thread...

All posts regarding specific player and player fans threads are in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

Prashant
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Leander Paes thread...

Postby Prashant » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:47 pm

In the Open Era, only eleven men have completed a career Grand Slam in doubles. The list does not include such greats as John McEnroe (the best doubles player ever in my opinion), Yevgeni Kafelnikov, Mark Knowles & Mahesh Bhupathi. Here is the full list:

John Fitzgerald
Anders Järryd
Jacco Eltingh
Paul Haarhuis
Mark Woodforde
Todd Woodbridge
Jonas Bjorkman
Bob Bryan
Mike Bryan
Daniel Nestor
Leander Paes

Varma

Postby Varma » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:55 pm

Big congratulations to Leander Adrian Paes!!!

He is clearly miles ahead compared to Mahesh and Bops. Let each them play with whoever they want to. But for the sake of India, I would love to see Lee partnering Bops in Olympics. With the way Mahesh fared in the mixed doubles semi, he is definitely on a decline. I think Lee and Bops can possibly work something out and play 5-6 tournaments (including Wimbledon, hopefully) to get ready for the big stage. After that, I don't care who they play with. If they can put their personal issues aside just for a few weeks it will be a win-win situation for them as well as India.

- Varma

suresh

Postby suresh » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:41 am

Congratulations to Lee on completing a career grand slam in doubles. He is arguably the best volleyer in men's tennis today.

PKBasu

Postby PKBasu » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:01 am

...the best volleyer in tennis. Period. Certainly the best in the Open era.

prasen9

Postby prasen9 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:03 am

:notworthy:

prasen9

Postby prasen9 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:07 am

kaustav wrote:That is actually good sign...It means this ( Paes career GS) is burning them inside and may be just may be Hesh comes out of the mess ( It was terrible in mixed semis yesterday) and roar back with the help of Rohan power games and make us happy..Comee on Hesh you can do it for us :)
That's just BS. If they were not flying or otherwise engaged and do not congratulate LP, then it shows an amazing lack of grace. The top champions fight hard on the court and are graceful to others when they win. That does not mean that they do not have a killer instinct. I hope they do the right thing. I have no doubt LP will return the compliments even though he certainly believes that he is better than them as doubles players.

cricketics

Postby cricketics » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:34 am

Well they don't have to show to the world(via twitter) that they congratulated Paes.

They might have texted him or talked to him. We should give Bhupathi/Bopanna some benefit of doubt.

Yes, as a viewer, it would have been nice to read on their twitter about a tweet related to recent Paes win, but let's not get carried away.

rajorshi
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Postby rajorshi » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:57 am

Actually Bhupathi did congratulate Lee a few hours back on making both the finals. But I think it came after he lost the mixed final. Maybe an ardent Bhups fan can say that he was waiting for Paes to win this one too and then congratulate him for 2 slams, at one go! :p

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Postby jayakris » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:44 am

Since when did twitter become a place where one MUST put down what one does or want to tell? This is mucho ado about nothing. MB and Bops are the types who would've congratulated LP. Now, MB probably won't be so buddy-buddy as to go courtside and cheer him in the final or anything, but would say a polite "good job Lee" later, I am sure. Jay

PKBasu

Postby PKBasu » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:12 pm

This is a useless, extraneous conversation. The real story is the glorious doubles skills of Leander Paes. Everything else is peripheral, and based on speculation and conjecture. I think Leander's results this year speak for themselves -- and especially for the fact that he made the right decisions at the end of last year.

sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Postby sameerph » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:33 pm

Yes, his decision to pair with Radek Stepanek was bold & imginative one. Radek did not have a good doubles ranking & therefore, the would have been aware they will not get seeded in the bigger tournaments & will have to play tougher teams early on. But,Leander took the risk & it paid off handsomely.

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Postby jayakris » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:53 am

Absolutely. Lee hasn't always been great in his judgment but never really very bad at it either. This one was certainly a terrific call (much as I hate it's coming at the expense of the partner I would always prefer to see with him, even if it's for sentimental reasons). But didn't Lee and Radek have a title or a final together a while back somewhere. I need to check, but that helped Lee make a good judgment on Radek as a matching partner. Jay

kujo
Authors
Authors

Postby kujo » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:20 am

Yes, LP and Radek had a doubles title together some time back (Miami?). No make that Delray beach
13 September 2004 Delray Beach, Florida

You should read the entire transcript of their interview after the Aus open doubles title, lots of interesting tidbits from both....

jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Postby jaydeep » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:16 am

Leander's interview -

London best chance to win second Olympic medal: Paes
"It could be the best chance, but don't know if it's the last chance. For me, it's probably one of the best chances I have to win a medal in the doubles event at the London Olympics."

"I don't know who my partner is going to be. I just hope to get the best partner to win the medal, and not just be there to participate."

"Atlanta medal is by far the best thing I have achieved. Career slams are up there, but singles medal is by far the best."

Asked about his age-defying formula, the reply was prompt.
"It's called passion, stay happy."

"I came close to winning doubles medals three times. One with Ramesh Krishnan in my first Olympics in 1992, twice with Mahesh (Bhupathi) one in Athens and another in the quarter-finals at Beijing but I really really concentrated on my singles medal at Atlanta, so for me that was not a surprise. I was ready for it."

"We have started the year well, it's a long year ahead of us...started really well and I think I solidified my decision to play in the Olympics, but, like I said, it's just not participation. For me to participate is okay, but I never go to any tournament just to participate; I go there to win and that's what I am looking for."

bujilover

Postby bujilover » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:19 am

Amazing words by Lee :-)

"We have started the year well, it's a long year ahead of us...started really well and I think I solidified my decision to play in the Olympics, but, like I said, it's just not participation. For me to participate is okay, but I never go to any tournament just to participate; I go there to win and that's what I am looking for."

Return to “Tennis Player Forums”