Australian Open 2012!

This is a forum where users can follow various tournaments that have Indian participation or are held in India. GrandSlams and Davis Cup should also be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

rajorshi
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Australian Open 2012!

Postby rajorshi » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:48 pm

You may scold me if you want (for opening yet another thread in my over-enthusiasm) but I simply can't wait anymore! AUSTRALIAN OPEN IS MY FAVORITE GRAND SLAM especially because it telecasts most matches featuring Indians, including doubles and mixed doubles!!!

With Som out, Sania will be our sole face in singles. She has pulled her abdomen muscle or something but is playing in all the 3 formats. In womens doubles she is playing with Elena. In men's doubles we have two pairs- Mahesh/Rohan and Lee/Radek. In the mixed Sania is teaming up with Bhupathi! :D
Also learnt that Arjun Khadhe and Rutuja Bhosale have made the main draw in juniors. Prathana Thombare will play in qualifying rounds. It seems Ratnika has withdrawn. :-(

sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Re: Australian Open 2012!

Postby sameerph » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:02 pm

Wellcome Rajorshi. This thread would have been up anyway in a few days.

rajorshi wrote: In the mixed Sania is teaming up with Bhupathi!

It is confirmed ?

Also learnt that Arjun Khadhe and Rutuja Bhosale have made the main draw in juniors. Prathana Thombare will play in qualifying rounds. It seems Ratnika has withdrawn. :-(

Ratnika is still in the main draw there. Also quite a few more Indian juniors in qualifying draw - Kanika Vaidya, Bhuvana Kalva, Praminder Kaur, Arzoo Malik in girls , Rishab Agarwal, Haadin Bava , Suraj Prabodh in boys.

rajorshi

Postby rajorshi » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:23 pm

This article in TOI quotes Bhupathi about his chances with Bopanna and Sania at AO:

Bhupathi confident of doing well with Bopanna in Australian Open

I am just hoping that Sania gets someone in rd 1 who is more injured than her! I am really tired of this girl's injuries. But badly want her to win a rd in Melbourne.

And this one is about the juniors:

Bhosale, Kadhe in main draw of Australian Open Junior

sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Postby sameerph » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:47 am

Thanks, Rajorshi. So, hupefully if they perform well the mixed doubles slot will be clearer for India at Olympics.

Incidently, I saw that RamK is there in the alternated list for AO juniors way down as he does not have a ranking . I heard that Karthi is trying a wild card for him with IMG help. Hopefully, he can play there.

prassana

Postby prassana » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:43 am

Sania faces Pironkova..

rajorshi

Postby rajorshi » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:50 am

O dear! Was hoping that Sania gets some inexperienced wild card entrant. No such luck!

prassana

Postby prassana » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:06 am

Pironkova is dangerous especially for Mirza..she'll test Mirza's patience..Mirza really should be careful with the UE..please Sania win this one..please. :goodluck:

depleter

Postby depleter » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:07 am

pironkova is a tough player to get in the first round.....but she doesnt have a great record on the hard courts and her best in au open is second round ..so I really hope that Saina wins this match.... :goodluck:

SaniaFan2

Postby SaniaFan2 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:19 am

pironkova lost to chakvetadze 6-3 6-2 who was playing 1st tourney after wimbledon
sania can beat her, sania has weapons,problem is lack of match practise
pironkova is a heavy favourite,Sania has a chance if pironkova has a very bad day ahead
i hope star sports show that match

rajorshi

Postby rajorshi » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:20 am

Pironkova is not a bad hard court player at all. She had upset Venus in 2006 Aus Open in a marathon match. But like Sania, she is very inconsistent. If her serve doesn't work, she may fall flat. I hope Sania is fit. Just playing her game and avoiding Pironkova's major weapons like the backhand, won't help. Should be ready for a long match if she somehow manages to win the 1st set. Unfortunately, she doesnt seem to be match fit or else she would have won that match against Coco.

rajorshi

Postby rajorshi » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:25 pm

According to IBN, Ramkumar Ramathan has got a wildcard in the AO singles juniors. Hope he makes good use of it!
Meanwhile TOI reports that AITA may ask for a wildcard for Sania in the London Olympics singles event, if she fails to make the cut by then.

vk2052

Postby vk2052 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:00 am

Its interesting to know that Ramkumar got wc in aus open junior event. I think it is 1st time that any indian has got a wc in junior grand slam. My respect for Karti Chidambaram has increased many fold in the last few weeks. The guy is doing wonderful job for chennai tennis. Top players are fully funded, given wc at chennai open and now wc for ramkumar. So karti is using his clout in a very effective manner.

Compare this with vijay amrithraj. He was so powerful and a great player, himself. His family did a great job, when BAT was alive. Lee is a product of that academy. However, when Prakash grew up, their focus shifted to him only. Bat was closed and the only players supported by amrithraj family, since then, were prakash and stephen. They milked chennai open, earning crores of rupees, without any support to local players. Karti has changed it all.

We need more karti at every state level and at all india level. Well done karti.

sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Postby sameerph » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:09 am

Yes, good work by Karti to get the junior wild card for RamK. It seems as though TNTA people have been paying attention to our rant in the forum about need for RamK to play high level junior events. Perhaps, he could have played the grade 2 tournament in Delhi this week too mainly to get some good practice before the AO.

rajorshi

Postby rajorshi » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:20 am

Every year before the current AO commences, Star Sports shows the best of the previous year. This year, for some reason they were mostly showing Wimbledon! Was hoping to relive the memories of that Sania-Justine match. Bad luck.
Bdw when are the doubles draws coming out? The main draw matches should start from Monday. However in the TV schedule section, I saw the date as 17th, which is tuesday!

rajorshi

Postby rajorshi » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:48 am

Sania will play on Monday on Court 8. Hers is the 4th and last match. Is that a show court?

Return to “Tennis Tournaments”