Misc. news about Indian hockey

A forum to discuss Indian hockey and the disarray it is in despite the promising new professional PHL series.

Moderator: Moderators

ssp

Re: Misc. news about Indian hockey

Postby ssp » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:23 am

Yes Sameer, reasonable showing apart from that collapse against NZL.

The whole year was like that. Some encouraging results followed by some rubbish (Azlan Shah Cup, Rio, Asia CT). The highlight was the CT silver and that great fight v. Australia in the final. So overall, it was steady progress rather than a giant leap. If we can sort out the defence and unearth a couple of creative midfielders (return of Dharamvir and Gurbaj and maybe Nilakanta Sharma stepping up) and dropping the dross in the current squad, 2017 & 2018 may bring some genuine success.

Qualia11
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Postby Qualia11 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:23 am

Now that Mr Batra has become FIH president, the HI President has to be taken over by someone else.

Hope that helps in bringing in the required changes in terms of selection policy and also give a free hand to the coach

Moon

Postby Moon » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:12 pm

http://indianexpress.com/article/sports ... s-4437910/

"Immediately after the Rio Olympics, Roelant Oltmans had a brief, yet significant, message for his players: the core group of players for 2018 World Cup and 2020 Tokyo Games will be shuffled when the team regroups in March 2017.
Their performance in junior World Cup and Hockey India League, the senior team coach told the players, will be an important criteria for inclusion."

"Oltmans dropped a hint that some players may announce their retirement after the HIL. “Most players have their future plans in place. I know it’s disappointment some times. But it’s also a relief. I know already players who have decided to retire after the Hockey India League. I won’t say names because I feel it’s their decision,” he said."

Moon

Postby Moon » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:37 pm

http://www.firstpost.com/sports/hockey- ... 66532.html

"Rajinder Singh Sr, who coached the junior team to the World Cup title in 2001 and also the 2003 Asia Cup title when India beat Pakistan in Kuala Lumpur, doesn’t believe there would be long-term benefits. “It will be forgotten in a week or so,” he says. “And the same system will be back. Nobody will spend time to use this win to create a lasting impact.” Rajinder, who was part of the 1980 Moscow Gold medal winning team and is also one of the very few to coach a school, Union Academy, to the Junior Nehru Cup title, believes neglect at the school and college level has virtually ended grass root level growth. “We as a nation always want to look from the top down but not the other way,” he explains. “In the last 25 years, has anybody prepared a blue-print on how to revive university hockey again? Yes, there is the Champions College tournament from the Nehru Hockey Society but where and who knows about the inter-university hockey that at one point was the only source of almost every Olympian who played for India.”

ssp

Postby ssp » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:38 pm

I know already players who have decided to retire after the Hockey India League. I won’t say names because I feel it’s their decision

I can only think of Sardar who is near retirement stage. All the others are relatively young (25-28 yrs old). It will be sad tosee Sardar go, because he has been a wonderful player for us for nearly a decade.

prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Postby prasen9 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:05 pm

Sardara is not the old Sardar but I think he still keeps his place on merit. As long as he does that and his fitness is there, he should play. It will indeed be sad if he retires before his time is up. Maybe some of the others will retire even if they are around 30?

arjun2761

Postby arjun2761 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:02 am

Yes, Sardara has definitely been on the decline over the last couple of years. However, he is still playing at a high enough level to justify his place on the team currently.

ssp

Postby ssp » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:25 pm

33 players have been selected for the forthcoming Azlan Shah Cup

http://fieldhockey.com/index.php/commen ... be-ignored

Gurbaj, Raghunath and Devendar Walmiki are missing. Raghnath wanted a break so may feature in future, but the other 2 should have been selected. Gurbaj is arguably our best player, yet HI continue to play their silly games. Dharamvir misses out too. he looked a bit rusty in the HIL, but is surely a better bet than Uthappa.

Glad to see several of the U21 world champions making the squad, although, Armaan Qureshi has been ignored. I'm particularly pleased to see Gurinder, Dipsan and especially, Sumit get in. Also happy to see Danish Mujtaba dropped. Not sure why Jasjit Kular gets another chance, yet Gurjinder misses out.

ssp

Postby ssp » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:07 am

Looks like Raghunath is not in Oltmans' plans:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/spor ... 684350.cms

I have been a critic for a long time, but would say he scored some vital goals for us as well as defending gallantly on PCs and am glad about that. His on field play did improve but he was prone to crazy tackles, cards and suicidal dribbles when an easy, safe pass was on. In the HIL he just looked even slower than normal.

We certainly have several options in defence, but need to unearth some real quality in midfield and attack.

jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Postby jaydeep » Thu May 25, 2017 7:14 am

Good to see Oltmans is working on our players to improve their performance inside the striking circle.

Need to improve goal-scoring skills: Roelant Oltmans
"I'm very happy with our ball possession and the goal scoring opportunities we have created, but I can't say the same thing about the final conversion of chances. That is something that needs to be improved."

Oltmans believes the improvement is more mental than physical. "We are now specifically working on decision-making once we have a goal-scoring opportunity. I believe scoring depends on a lot on decision-making. They have to make the right decisions on when to take a shot at the goal; what is the position of the forward and which skill you need to use at that moment."

Return to “The Indian Hockey Forum”