2004 PGA "Majors" - "WGC" - etc

Coverage of Indian players in USPGA , EPGA, Nationwide tour and Womens tour events

Moderator: Moderators

ajay
Moderators
Moderators
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by ajay »

Tiger survies! Vijay on top! Ernie, a shot behind!

Vijay finished with a good round of -4 that included 6 birdies and two bogies. Vijay shares lead with Justin Leonard at -9. Ernie, who earlier in the day was leading, finished with a round of -2 and T3 Briny Baird.

With a strong finish in the end (that included three birdies), Tiger makes the cut. He is T44 at overall score of Even. But his #1 spot is still under pressure from Vijay and Ernie.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Sports center has interviews from Justin Leonard, Ernie Else, Tiger , but NO Vijay!!! The question is Can Vijay break the trend of the two previous GS, when he was in top 10 and had a miserable 3rd round!!! Can Vijay buckle the trend. The ever pessimist i am , I say NO..

Also Tiger has got a favorable TEE time to make his comeback... he has got the earliest tee time among the players with his score .. I don't know if they have a method by which they set tthe tee time for people with the same score? Any boy have any ideas? Ajay / Bhushan..
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

Also Tiger has got a favorable TEE time to make his comeback
A difference of 20 minutes or so in the tee times does not make a big difference is most cases. I am not sure how the organizers pair the golfers with the same score.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Shingo Katayama who also had a score of EVEN par had a tee time of 11:10 am whereas Tiger had the tee time of 10:10 , almost an hour difference.

Anyway STeve Flesch is on fire with -5 under for today and has made a dramatic rise to leaderboard to -4 and 11th position(why didn't I pick him) and Tiger with -3 under so far has also made a move..
BSharma
Authors
Authors

The PGA Championship - third day

Post by BSharma »

The cream rises to the top.

The leaderboard:
1 Vijay Singh -3 F -12 67 68 69 204
2 Justin Leonard -2 F -11 66 69 70 205
3 Ernie Els E F -8 66 70 72 208
3 Darren Clarke E F -8 65 71 72 208
3 Stephen Ames -3 F -8 68 71 69 208
3 Phil Mickelson -5 F -8 69 72 67 208
3 Chris Riley -3 F -8 69 70 69 208
8 Chris DiMarco -1 F -7 68 70 71 209
9 Brian Davis -3 F -6 70 71 69 210
9 Loren Roberts -2 F -6 68 72 70 210
25 Tiger Woods -3 F -3 75 69 69 213
kujo
Authors
Authors

Post by kujo »

Vijay is the 54 hole leader at -12 under!!

There is some sort of streak going for Vijay this year, about being the 54 hole leader and winning the tournament. Sure hope that he wins tomorrow and de-thrones Tiger from being Number 1 for so long. It is good to have someone else carry the burden of being numero uno. :) Vijay richly deserves it, for his consistent golf play over the last 2 years.

``It's great to be No. 1 in the world, but it's not the end of all things,'' Woods said. ``What's pretty cool is to be able to go out there and play that consistent, that hard, for that long a period of time and never miss a cut. ''

I love it when Tiger says, being No: 1 doesn't matter but keeping the cut streak alive is more important. :devil:

-kujo
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

I love it when Tiger says, being No: 1 doesn't matter but keeping the cut streak alive is more important.
Would Tiger have said the same if the reverse was true?
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Kujoku's Quote
There is some sort of streak going for Vijay this year, about being the 54 hole leader and winning the tournament. Sure hope that he wins tomorrow and de-thrones Tiger from being Number 1 for so long.
Sorry to burst your bubble, Even If Vijay Wins Tiger stay No 1 (atleast this week)..
Would Tiger have said the same if the reverse was true?
I think this streak is very important to Tiger and he plays as if he wants to keep this streak going till he retires... Though to dominate the game like he used to before, he has to MISS one cut atleast .. I am positive once he misses a cut, he will go on a winning steak immediately...

As far as the tournament goes, even though Vijay has bucked the trend he had followed in previous two GS by having good third round, I still feel he may not go all the way..
Last edited by Kumar on Sun Aug 15, 2004 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
nkoth

Post by nkoth »

As far as the tournament goes, even though Vijay has bucked the trend he had followed in previous two GS by having miserable third round, I still feel he may not go all the way..
Excuse my rare foray into the golf world, but I have to say I feel very good about Vijay's chances tomorrow. The course is almost tailor made for his long ball game, and with his putting in fine form as well, he looks almost unbeatable.

His solid play at the Buick Open proves he's "on" at the moment -- I don't think we have to worry about a letdown tomorrow (well, at least I hope we don't have to!)

-neil
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

Vijay won the PGA Championship.

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

Neil wrote:
Excuse my rare foray into the golf world, but I have to say I feel very good about Vijay's chances tomorrow. The course is almost tailor made for his long ball game, and with his putting in fine form as well, he looks almost unbeatable.
Words of a wise man. :D
nkoth

Post by nkoth »

LOL, if only he won in easier fashion. Whew, that was close. His putting really was sub-par today, but because it worked for the last 3 days he was in good shape. Poor Justin Leonard -- the tournament was his for the taking but he basically choked.

Vijay moves back to #2 in the world, and is quite close to Tiger in the world rankings now.

-neil
ajay
Moderators
Moderators

Post by ajay »

The only birdie in 21 holes that Vijay played today, made him the champion. Vijay struggled today all day but played the play-off like a champion. He is now 4-1 in playoff and he extended his streak of winning the tournament after a 54 hole lead.

Tiger not only keeps the #1 ranking for another week, he also breaks the Shark, Greg Norman's record of longest streak of #1. Last week Tiger had equalled the record and this week he surpasses it. Actually I'm happy for Tiger as he deserved that record.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

That was an amazingly close-run thing, but Vijay Singh did what was necessary in the play-off. Big congratulations to him! I think he has certainly wrapped up the Player of the Year honours for this year; his only competition (for that and the money title) is Phil Mickelson. Tiger has definitely had a poor year, although the 3-year rolling ranking system helps keep him at the top.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

I agree with PKB that Vijay has locked the Player of the Year award unless Phil Mickelson has a run of victories and wins the remaining big ones like the World Golf Championships-NEC Invitational, PGA Tour Championship, and Target World Challenge along with a couple of PGA events. It is a tall order for Phil and according to press reports he is not going to play too many events until the end of the 2004 season.