Indian Archery Thread ...

All other sports such as squash, badminton,volleyball, atheletics etc which are not covered by any other forum heading can be entered in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

depleter
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Indian Archery Thread ...

Post by depleter »

Now, here's the thing. The individual losses can be attributed to her, but I can't see how we are attributing the team's losses to her? IDK from where did we get this general notion that team losses are also due to her choking. If we take both the 2012 and 2016 olympics, we clearly had a very weak third shooter who was atrocious in the qualifying round and pulled the team qualifying score down. If we generally see the team medalists in the olympics it's the top 4-5 in qualifying who went on to win the medals. As we don't know who actually shot low in the bracket matches, but attributing that to Deepika is not right.
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

Sin Hombre, not being able to win it all is not equal to choke. Choking would typically mean that you are doing well and about to qualify or move ahead and in the last round or two you fail. Or you have beaten someone regularly and then in the Olympics or very big events you fall to them. She is not a consistent world beater. She is an Indian great.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

I have not watched the documentary and it is probably little exaggerated. Would not be surprised if some of the treatment listed by Orang is not true.

Winning an archery medal is probably the most difficult thing. The head to head system unlike shooting definitely introduces an event of luck. And all this added pressure is probably not making it easier for her.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Nothing will make me happier than Deepika coming through with a medal, putting an end to all our arguments about her.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

I haven't watched the Netflix documentary but being criticized by the villagers is absurd. She is being criticized for not being the best in the world by those that are pretty to being the worst in the world in almost every way....
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Yes, it is nonsensical and ludicrous. As I have said, she is a national great. It is not easy to win a state competition leave alone international. But, these types of people are always there at least in India. Maybe everywhere but Indian neighborhoods have more of a community where everyone knows everything and has an opinion about everything that they want to talk about. Also, whatever people say gets twisted in the hands of a motivated documentary maker. It is awful but there will be people who always say awful things. For a champion, the key is to ignore these haters and move on and focus on what she needs to get done.

Here's to a gold medal by Deepika.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

prasen9 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:07 pm Sin Hombre, not being able to win it all is not equal to choke. Choking would typically mean that you are doing well and about to qualify or move ahead and in the last round or two you fail. Or you have beaten someone regularly and then in the Olympics or very big events you fall to them. She is not a consistent world beater. She is an Indian great.
I am obviously not talking about winning it all.

I am talking about someone who has been consistently ranked in the top 10 for a decade, not winning a single individual medal of any color in any of those 8 big tournaments.

That is statistically very unlikely unless you have a history of choking.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Possibly. But, can that also mean that the ranking is not very robust? I think the rankings in a lot of sports is sort of bunk. I think she is just not *that* good. Very good (Indian champion) but not that good. There are many who were consistently in the top-10 in many sports (say tennis) but never won a grand slam or a year-end. Etc. It also depends upon how much luck plays a factor. You will possibly see a lot more people winning golf tournaments than tennis's top tournaments (did not check). So, maybe in archery luck does not play that much of a factor. I would be interested in finding out what the probability is of a top-10 person in archery not winning one of say 10 tournaments. I think it is quite likely to happen.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

I think the tennis equivalent would be a consistent top-10 player not reaching a GS semifinals or winning a Masters tournament.

I think that doesn't happen.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Then it is the scarcity of such events, which results in warped rankings.
Orang

Post by Orang »

Not sure about what the 8 Big tournaments are, but she has a bunch of Golds. Including individual Golds at the World Cup and Commonwealth.

https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/i ... -gold-rush
She then returned to win her fourth individual recurve medal (after Guatemala City 2021, Salt Lake City 2018 and Antalya 2012).
Deepika has nine golds, 12 silvers, and seven bronzes across World Cups. She is a two-time Commonwealth Gold medalist (individual and women's team, 2010).
Sin Hombre wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:16 am
I am obviously not talking about winning it all.

I am talking about someone who has been consistently ranked in the top 10 for a decade, not winning a single individual medal of any color in any of those 8 big tournaments.

That is statistically very unlikely unless you have a history of choking.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Check previous page.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

The World Cup Finals/Championships are much bigger than the World Cups. Roughly one per year big event, which causes warped rankings.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

In Sin Hombres analogy there are a dozen masters and 4 grand slams, so winning a world cup is still still something that a top 10 person does.
Orang

Post by Orang »

Kumari had the best performance of all the Indian candidates yesterday. But if she ends up losing to the Korean phenom in the quarters, people will still see it as a choke. I will only call it a choke if she loses earlier.