2004 PGA Tournament - Arjun/Daniel/Vijay/(Jyoti)

This is the resting place for archived threads. Typically from threads that had become too long and had to be split to allow easier moderation.
BSharma
Authors
Authors
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by BSharma »

Anyone can tell ages of other golfers who won more than 10 PGA titles in the year???
Here is the list of golfers who won 8 or more PGA tournaments in a year.

# of PGA titles won; Name; Year the feat was achieved; Date of birth
18 Byron Nelson 1945; Born: Feb. 4, 1912
13 Ben Hogan 1946; Born: Aug. 13, 1912
11 Sam Snead 1950; Born: May 27, 1912
10 Ben Hogan 1948; Born: Aug. 13, 1912
9 Paul Runyan 1933; Born July 12, 1908
9 Tiger Woods 2000; Born Dec. 30, 1975
9 Vijay Singh 2004; February 22, 1963
8 Horton Smith 1929; Born in 1908
8 Gene Sarazen 1930; Born: Feb. 27, 1902
8 Sam Snead 1938; Born: May 27, 1912
8 Byron Nelson 1944; Born: Feb. 4, 1912
8 Arnold Palmer 1960; Born: September 10, 1929
8 Arnold Palmer 1962; Born: September 10, 1929
8 Johnny Miller 1974; Born: April 29, 1947
8 Tiger Woods 1999; Born Dec. 30, 1975
kujo
Authors
Authors

Post by kujo »

PKBasu wrote: The most interesting stat about this year is that the guy who is #2 on the money list (Phil Mickelson) is more than $5 million behind Vijay's earnings for the year. Astonishing!
Just so that we don't get carried away by this stat, here is the world money list:

1 1 Vijay Singh 31 $10,924,892
2 2 Ernie Els 25 $7,515,756
3 3 Phil Mickelson 22 $5,672,323
4 4 Tiger Woods 19 $4,783,327
5 5 Stewart Cink 27 $4,344,670

It should be noted that Ernie Els is behind by about $3.4 million. He truly is having a great season on both European and PGA tours, a very tough thing to do... Agreed that it is still a huge amount of difference. But then, there **is** a world outside of PGA tour you know!!!

And, don't even get me started on the recent "world" series victory of Boston red-sox... :)
USA is not the the world, when will the americans get that?? We shouldn't get into the same narrow minded view as the americans, that is why this rebuttal...

-kujo
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

kujo,

Although you are correct that there is a world outside USA but we have been discussing the PGA Tour in this thread and PKB is comparing the performances of golfers on this Tour.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Thanks Bhushan for clearing my query about ages of all golfers who won around 10 PGA tours in single calander year ... I just wanted to be sure that Vijay is first person above 40 years to be in that list ... :devil: Sam Snead comes near with age of 38 yrs old ... We all should really proud of Vijay Singh for his achievements ... :bounce: :notworthy: :bounce:

Just checked his quotes on Rediff ...
"I'm not one for stats, not one to keep records," Singh said. "I just feel it's been an incredible year for me. These wins, I just haven't really sat down and really thought about it, what I've done. "I have not enjoyed it yet." He added: "No matter how hard I try, it might be almost an impossible thing to do again. You never know, we'll try again next year and see what happens."

u can check whole article on http://in.rediff.com/sports/2004/nov/01vijay.htm

kujoku we r discussing about US PGA tour money list ... And we all knows world is also greener outside US ... ;)

Jaydeep.
kujo
Authors
Authors

Post by kujo »

Point taken, we are discussing PGA tour money list.

Consider this though: what if the positions were reversed between Vijay and Ernie?
World money list:- Ernie is at 10 million (european+ pga), Vijay is at 9 million (pga) **but** Vijay tops the PGA tour money list at 9 mill (pga), and ernie is at 5mill (pga)??

Would there be a news item saying "oh wow, look at money difference between vijay and the next guy"?? That would be a narrow view (in my mind)....

-kujo

ps: Bhushan, thanks for all the extra stats you are providing here in the forum
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

kujo,

You have brought up some very pertinent issues about golf within and outside USA. Vijay and Ernie are the two best golfers of 2004 even though Phil leads Ernie in the amount of money earned on the 2004 PGA Tour. I think that Ernie will surpass Phil at the end of this week since I expect Ernie to do better than Phil at the PGA Tour Championship.

I was upset when the PGA Tour Commissioner asked Ernie to play mainly on the PGA Tour (beyond the minimum of 15 tournaments) and to pay back one extra tournament for every time he plays outside USA. I was going to make another thread to discuss this issue next week after the PGA Tour Championship was over but I may do it sooner because you have brought up the issue of "the world outside USA".

As well as I think I know PKB ( :devil: ), he was referring to the PGA Tour only but you have rightly taken this discussion to a broader level. Check out the new thread that I will make soon and share your thoughts there.
kujo
Authors
Authors

Post by kujo »

Hi Bhushan,

More than PKB or jaydeep bringing this up, I actually saw a line like that in a news item as well. That is what got me to post above message....

Did you know that they are trying to portray P. Harrington as some kind of villain? (not quite, but close to that). Another news line somewhere said that he is the only person who can upset current money list by winning this week's tournament and bump the 125th and 40th place finishers.... As if winning a PGA tournament is a crime if you are not in the PGA tour!! grrr... :frown:

I think he should win this week's tournament and upset the current money list (just for the heck of it!! :) ) Although Vijay should definitely go for his 10th title of the year!! Go Vijay, GO..

What is happening with Tiger? Is he playing this week. How do you think he is gonna perform? The bane of succubus?? :wink:

- kujo
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

What is happening with Tiger? Is he playing this week. How do you think he is gonna perform? The bane of succubus??
Today's report from Atlanta is that Tiger is in the field for the PGA Tour Championship.

How well will he do in Atlanta? I don't think that his new bride must have let him leave her side to go and practice golf during their honeymoon. Then again, golf is supposed to be more mental than physical game, and Tiger should be in a good mental state. Will I put my money on Tiger at the PGA Tour Championship? Nah!!! Vijay and Ernie are my men at Atlanta. :wink:
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

Did you know that they are trying to portray P. Harrington as some kind of villain? (not quite, but close to that). Another news line somewhere said that he is the only person who can upset current money list by winning this week's tournament and bump the 125th and 40th place finishers.... As if winning a PGA tournament is a crime if you are not in the PGA tour!! grrr...
Are you reading my mind, kujo? I will have to start the new thread that I have been talking about before you read my entire mind. :wink:
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Well said Kujo we have to agree with ur views, becoz they r pinpoint ... :) I think its better if Bhushan start new thread on this issue sooner than later ... We all have lots of thoughts to write about it ... I m also not expecting Top 5 finish to Tiger ... But still it would be interesting how he perform after such a long break ... Ernie and Vijay will fight for championship, but one of under rated player can spring surprise.

jaydeep.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

I have made a new thread to discuss some of the issues being raised by our forum members and the press. Please post your comments in that thread.

The rift between the various PGA Tours and the players
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

The PGA Tour is winding down and the finale is the PGA Tour Championship limited to the top 30 golfers on the money list. However, there is an extra player in the field - Padraig Harrington - because he has earned enough money on the PGA Tour to qualify for this tournament but is only a provisional member this year.

The site for this year's tournament is the East Lake Golf Club in Atlanta, Georgia. It has hosted this event three times in the past and now will become the permanent site for the Tour Championship. I am saddened by this news because my home town hosted the Tour Championship twice and it is thrill to see the top golfers battling it out on the course for four days. I wish that the PGA Tour had let different cities host this event in the same way that the US Open, PGA Championship and the British Open are held each year in a different city.

Each of the top 31 players has something to prove in Atlanta and I am sure that they will be trying their best to reach their desired goal.

Best of luck to Vijay and I hope he becomes a 10-10 man.
kujo
Authors
Authors

Post by kujo »

BSharma wrote:
Are you reading my mind, kujo? I will have to start the new thread that I have been talking about before you read my entire mind. :wink:
Are you sure you don't have two different id's on this forum? :D
May be I am your alter ego or something....

Just kidding, I always look forward to your detailed stats, view points, replies, etc. Bhushan. You daa MAN!!!

-kujo
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

PGA TOUR Leaderboard

Post by jaydeep »

T1 - Jay Haas -3
T1 - Darren Clarke -3
T1 - Jerry Kelly -3
T4 - David Toms -2
T4 - Zach Johnson -2
T6 - Padraig Harrington -1
T6 - John Daly -1
T6 - Mark Hensby -1
T6 - Steve Flesch -1
T6 - Mike Weir -1
T6 - Stuart Appleby -1
T6 - Stephen Ames -1
T6 - Vijay Singh -1
T14 - Retief Goosen E
T14 - Stewart Cink E
T16 - Rory Sabbatini 1
T16 - Sergio Garcia 1
T16 - Phil Mickelson 1
T19 - Carlos Franco 2
T19 - Chris DiMarco 2
T19 - Todd Hamilton 2
T19 - Ernie Els 2
T19 - Tiger Woods 2
T24 - K.J. Choi 3
T24 - Fred Funk 3
T24 - Shigeki Maruyama 3
T24 - Chad Campbell 3
28 - Scott Verplank 4
29 - Adam Scott 5
30 - Kenny Perry 6

So here is leaderboard after day one ... Check out ur respective players in standing ... Its early to comment but nice start by Jay and Darren.

Jaydeep.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

PGA Tour Championship - first round

Post by BSharma »

Vijay stayed close to the leaders (Jay Haas, Darren Clarke and Jerry Kelly) and is 2 strokes off the lead.

The PGA Tour Championship course is set a little more difficult than the regular PGA tournaments but not as difficult as the US Open course. So we can expect some birdies but not too many. It is important for Vijay to stay within striking distance of the leaders if he has to win here.

Tiger appears to have shown some rustiness in his game and is tied for 19th place. Ernie Els did not do any better than Tiger and broke his putter in frustration. Davis Love withdrew from the competition after playing 14 holes today because of a bad back.