Indian Badminton Thread ...

Moderator: Moderators

Atithee

Re: Indian Badminton Thread ...

Post by Atithee »

My response to doubles being worshipped in india:

We got a man on the moon (it ain't nothin' to me)
We got more comin' soon (it ain't nothin' to me)
Got natives in New Guinea with gold in their teeth
Might mean somethin' to you
It ain't nothin' to me

We got smilin' politicians
Got songs from rich musicians
Called Tokyo long distance and the queen came for tea
It ain't nothin' to me

—Tom Petty
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

Atithee wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:37 am My response to doubles being worshipped in india:
It ain't nothin' to me

—Tom Petty
That is just Petty.
srini

Post by srini »

jayakris wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:30 pm
srini wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:15 pm Hope Athithee can get convinced if one more person also joins the bandwagon.

Doubles in 'Badminton' is NOT for 'Also Rans'. If it were, Mr.Gopichand would not have trained his daughter Gayatri into doubles from so early in her career!
I am impartial. I ain't taking sides here. Let me be the judge then :)

The factual counter evidence from the defense extra-counsel Srini about Gopichand and Gayari clinches it. This court passes the judgment in favor of the defense. The plaintiff's argument that doubles is for "also-rans" in badminton is summarily dismissed. An additional judicial observation shall be recorded in the court proceedings, that the purported argument by the plaintiff might have originated in biases induced by other sports such as tennis that are dying and increasingly irrelevant in India, and further that Indians shall not be prevented from celebrating vacuous achievements in other sports such as cricket and badminton that are irrelevant to much of the world.
I thank the judiciary for a fair decision, but humbly submit that i would like to exercize my right as a lawyer to criticise the judicial observations without amounting to contempt.My-Lord, I would like to bring to your notice that the comments recorded in the proceedings which mention "The achievements in games and sports being followed in India and Asia to be vaccous" are uncalled for and have no substance.After all Cricket is the 2nd most followed sport and Badminton is the 2nd most participated sport far exceeding Tennis which some jury members here put in high esteem. I would ask most respectfully, your Honor, to let me call your attention to the fact that the economies of scale are shifting towards sports being followed in Asia from Europe and Americas.Hence i would beg your honor not to bring personal biases into court proceedings and request you to delete the aforementioned uncalled for comments from court proceedings failing which i reserve my right to appeal in a higher court of law. Thank you My-Lord.
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

Coming back to the topic of Indian Express II if any pair deserves it it has to be SatChi albeit in a different sport.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

srini wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:23 am I thank the judiciary for a fair decision, but humbly submit that i would like to exercize my right as a lawyer to criticise the judicial observations without amounting to contempt.My-Lord, I would like to bring to your notice that the comments recorded in the proceedings which mention "The achievements in games and sports being followed in India and Asia to be vaccous" are uncalled for and have no substance.After all Cricket is the 2nd most followed sport and Badminton is the 2nd most participated sport far exceeding Tennis which some jury members here put in high esteem. I would ask most respectfully, your Honor, to let me call your attention to the fact that the economies of scale are shifting towards sports being followed in Asia from Europe and Americas.Hence i would beg your honor not to bring personal biases into court proceedings and request you to delete the aforementioned uncalled for comments from court proceedings failing which i reserve my right to appeal in a higher court of law. Thank you My-Lord.
:)

I assume you received the court dispatch that the said Justice retired yesterday and that the matter is now placed for consideration in 2040 by a full bench. This I believe was stated as "to allow sufficient time for the global sports environment to evolve so sufficiently as for the court to procure adequate evidentiary information enabling any deliberation of the veracity of the opinions put forth by the honorable retired justice and also those contained in the plea from the defense counsel"
srini

Post by srini »

:-)
Justice delayed is Justice denied. And it has happened now in the great state of California!
arjun2761
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by arjun2761 »

However the judgement was delivered under Indian law. So the 17 year delay is quite normal.😀. Under California law, the complaint would been thrown out at the pleading stage for failure to state a claim. 😀😀
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

This week the Asian badminton championship is happening in Dubai. There is a strong Indian contingent. No Saina though and Priyanshu Rajawat didn't make the cut. So far Ashwini-Sumeeth, Rohan Kapoor-Sikki Reddy and Gayathri-Treesa are into the 2nd round. Quite a few 1st round losses though especially in singles. A terrible loss for Lakshya Sen. He has completely lost his aim and is in in the same boat as RamK in tennis. Hopefully we'll have a few more 1st round winners with Sindhu, Srikanth, Prannoy and SatChi coming up.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

rajitghosh wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:24 pm This week the Asian badminton championship is happening in Dubai. There is a strong Indian contingent. No Saina though and Priyanshu Rajawat didn't make the cut. So far Ashwini-Sumeeth, Rohan Kapoor-Sikki Reddy and Gayathri-Treesa are into the 2nd round. Quite a few 1st round losses though especially in singles. A terrible loss for Lakshya Sen. He has completely lost his aim and is in in the same boat as RamK in tennis. Hopefully we'll have a few more 1st round winners with Sindhu, Srikanth, Prannoy and SatChi coming up.
Not as bad as that. Lakshya lost to 7th ranked player in the world which even in tennis parlance ( since it has a much larger pool of players) is like losing to a top 100 player. RamK has been getting thrashed by players ranked outside 700.

Sindhu, Srikanth, Prannoy, SatChi all won their first round match in straight games.

So, now in this Asian championships, in last 16 we have 2 in mens singles ( Prannoy and Srikanth) , 1 in womens singles (Sindhu), 1 in mens doubles (SatChi), 1 in womens doubles (Tresa-Gayatri) and 2 in mixed doubles ( Rohan Kapoor- Sikki Reddy and Sumeeth Reddy-Ashwini Ponappa) left.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

To put it in perspective, what is Lakshya? #24 in the world. And we are crying because he lost to #7?
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

Losing to #7 Loh for Sen right now isn't a surprise. However, a year ago, Sen looked (and was ranked) as a top 10 player and was among the youngest to be that highly ranked. Since then he's likely gone down and also been figured out (as he had a very limited defensive game), so it may be sometime before he get's back to the top 10 level.
Saffron Lenin

Post by Saffron Lenin »

arjun2761 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:13 pm Losing to #7 Loh for Sen right now isn't a surprise. However, a year ago, Sen looked (and was ranked) as a top 10 player and was among the youngest to be that highly ranked. Since then he's likely gone down and also been figured out (as he had a very limited defensive game), so it may be sometime before he get's back to the top 10 level.
I can remember the time when zaheer khan was totally disappeared in cricket, but then he made a great comeback and was our main bowler in 2011wc!!! I don't know if such thing is possible in badminton or not!!!!But lets hope he make a great comeback.
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

prasen9 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:19 pm To put it in perspective, what is Lakshya? #24 in the world. And we are crying because he lost to #7?
Prasen, the issue is not his No. 24 ranking. The fact he is losing most matches that too quite badly like yesterday he lost the 1st game 21-7. Opponents have figured him out and he is on a terminal decline unless he can add some new dimensions to his game.
Saffron Lenin

Post by Saffron Lenin »

So, now we have only 4 players in top 40: HS Pronoy, Kidambi, Lakshay and latest entry Priyanshu Rajawat!!!
Saffron Lenin

Post by Saffron Lenin »

Kidambi lost, HS Pronoy wins!!!

Kidambi Srikanth lost to Kodai Naraoka (14-21, 22-20, 9-21)

HS Prannoy defeats Dwi Wardoyo (21-16, 5-21, 21-18)