General Cricket Thread ...

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

Saffron Lenin
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: General Cricket Thread ...

Post by Saffron Lenin »

A funny cartoon I came across: :D :D :D
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Australia were forced because Hazelwood was recovering from injury. Otherwise, I don’t think they drop Hazelwood. If they are following true rotation, they need to drop Cummins nextgame. English do this with both Anderson and Broad.

India did very well in the English tour becoz they kept rotating their bowlers except Bumrah and Siraj who played all four test. Thakur played test 1 and 4.. Shqmi test 1,2, and 3. ishant played 2 and 3.

They were forced to go that route in that famous Australian series.. when none of the bowlers played all 4 test.

This absolutely needs to be the practice going forward for test series and even white ball cricket series
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

And, now BCCI comes up with another authoritarian diktat. Even retired players have to “cool off” for a year before they can play in foreign leagues. Forced Rayudu to withdraw.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/amba ... gs-1386381
Saffron Lenin

Post by Saffron Lenin »

Atithee wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:07 am And, now BCCI comes up with another authoritarian diktat. Even retired players have to “cool off” for a year before they can play in foreign leagues. Forced Rayudu to withdraw.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/amba ... gs-1386381
The stupidity of our federations are beyond comprehension.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Do our retirees get pension which is significant? How can BCCI really prevent players from playing in foreign leagues. I hope the retired cricketers sue BCCI for billions and win.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

^^That can be the only reason. I remember reading that they do get a hefty pension and sometimes a “benefit” match to end their career. And, they would probably not get on the BCCI gravy train of commentators, analysts, coaches, selectors, etc.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

What are all your thoughts of Short ball tactics that is being employed extensively in Ashes and also in Duleep trophy. Shoet pitch bowling with longer boundaries and players in catching position is a difficult battle for batsman.

What do u think the targeted batsman do? Play waiting game ducking / weaving and hope they are tired. Or take it to them scoring few runs , but eventually getting out.
Rajiv
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by Rajiv »

Short pitch bowling is definitely not a good approach but it is very high yielding, and in this last innings could see a barrage of short pitch stuff to the non recognized batsmen if it comes down to that stage.

This Headingly Test is excitingly poised and is at a knife edge, For England it is crucial not to loose quick wickets , if 2 or 3 down even the remainder score will look like 350/400 to chase.
The initial 1st hour is going to be the most crucial and deciding moment of this Test.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I am rooting for Australia. This English team is too braggadocious for my taste.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Was rooting for England in this match. The two Ws show the value of bowlers who can bat. Had England selected these over others (even one of them for Anderson), they could have won one of the previous matches. They did the right thing by dropping Anderson. We, on the other hand, stick to senior and junior bullshit.
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

Rajiv wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 3:12 am

This Headingly Test is excitingly poised and is at a knife edge
So the match lived upto to its billing.

Nasir Hussain summed it up nicely
"Ashes are alive, Test Cricket is alive"
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Atithee wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 3:00 pm Was rooting for England in this match. The two Ws show the value of bowlers who can bat. Had England selected these over others (even one of them for Anderson), they could have won one of the previous matches. They did the right thing by dropping Anderson. We, on the other hand, stick to senior and junior bullshit.
Anderson was probably rested and may be back in squad that Ollie is injured. In a five match-series with the amount of effort theyare expending with short pitch bowling, u need to-rotate the bowlers.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

The ODI will die a slow death over next 4 years and may be put to sleep after 2027 WC. The 2027 wc will be held in SA and will potentially be the last wc.

Some of my unforgettable world cup memories.
1987 WC where india was a huge favorite and i watched india got beat by a run in chennai.i watched this game in person. i kept complaining that australian score card was wrong by 2 runs. And that scoreboard operator made a huge mistake . Not aware that declared four was actually changed to 6 during innings break.

The other memory is of DD showing Srikanth smoking after WC win. Smoking was a big taboo in our parts of world and he got scolded by lot of grannies for being a bad role model.

The 1996 WC quarter finals when sohail was going great guns and Prasad sent his stump flying. Literally bunch of slippers flew towards dorm TV

92 wc Miandad jumpimg jack impression of kiran more.

My favorite non wc memory was sachin bowling last over in hero honda semifinals.

Last but not least: I would not call this favorite, but unforgettable. Miandad lastball six in sharjah.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/mcc- ... 27-1386819
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

The problem with Australia has been that outside of Cummings and Starc none of the other bowlers have been that threatening. And, Marnus and Smith have largely failed. Along with Warner, but that was sort of expected. Australia needs to weed this guy out. But, their problem is that the replacements Harris and Renshaw are renegades and failures themselves. Australia's conservative batting selection has helped them win the last WC and they have done very well this series too but if they were a bit more proactive, maybe they would have been even more dominating.

England has got great batting from Stokes, very good efforts from Root, Woakes, Wood, and Ducket, acceptable effort by Brook. The rest have been hit and miss. England has been conservative in keeping the failed Crawling going. But, maybe they do not have ready replacements and he has been just about bordeline bad. With bowling, Wood, Woakes, Broad have been superb. Robinson, Tongue, and Stokes have been very good. Ali and Anderson have been bad.

For Australia, Marsh and Khawaja have been great. Head has been very good with the bat. The rest have failed. On the bowling side, Starc has been exceptional, Cummins and Lyon very good. Lyon's injury has changed this team. Hazlewood has been just about okay. Boland, Green, and Murphy have been very bad.
Rajkumar Sharma

Post by Rajkumar Sharma »

Team India (Senior Men) squad for 19th Asian Games(T20I):

Ruturaj Gaikwad (Captain), Yashasvi Jaiswal, Rahul Tripathi, Tilak Varma, Rinku Singh, Jitesh Sharma (wk), Washington Sundar, Shahbaz Ahmed, Ravi Bishnoi, Avesh Khan, Arshdeep Singh, Mukesh Kumar, Shivam Mavi, Shivam Dube, Prabhsimran Singh (wk)

Standby list of players: Yash Thakur, Sai Kishore, Venkatesh Iyer, Deepak Hooda, Sai Sudarsan.