General Cricket Thread ...

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: General Cricket Thread ...

Post by prasen9 »

Angelo Matthews was timed out. Bangladesh appealed and did not take back the appeal. Good on them. There is a reason we have rules. The rules need to be upheld. Spectators are tired of the time wasting and delay, etc. He did not have the right helmet. Face a ball and then go for a change. Good that people are taking the rules seriously now. I may be biased being a Bengali but I am with Shakib. I do not like some of his mannerisms and behavior but I like it that he put his foot down.

The first ever timed out in international cricket - at least first-tier international cricket I think.
suresh

Post by suresh »

prasen9 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:13 pm Why do cricketers wear caps even in sweltering hot, humid weather and even while fielding at night?
I always wear a baseball cap (or visor) while running -- helps against the sun, keeps my head dry during rains and keeps my head warm in cold weather (sub zero C).
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I wear a cap in the sun to keep my head cool too. Thanks for sharing. I was curious about benefits in a night game in a warm country like India vs the cons of not allowing the sweat to cool down your head more freely.

Timing out Angelo Matthews may have at the end resulted in a Champions Trophy appearance for Bangladesh while Sri Lanka watch it on TV. Good on Shakib and whoever told Shakib to do it.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Angelo Matthews should have asked for time to the umpire instead Of asking the dressing room directly. It is a lesson for all teams. They need to probably always have one batsman padded up and ready to go. Will probably see lot more cases going forward
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

He should have been ready to take the ball and then asked the umpire for time. It is also not a great idea to not even be ready by 1min 54 sec. Don't leave things to the last minute. The game should get a bit better to watch if batters come to bat faster. Too much wasted time imho. We need a "pitch clock".
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Love your idea of pitch clock.

I am presuming it will not just be for next batsman, but also between deliveries? How much time does each bowler take between deliveries? I would love to see stats for which bowler takes long.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Batsmen need to be ready within 10 seconds after umpire calls time. Bowler has to bowl one ball within 30 seconds of umpire calling time, which he will call after bowler reaches the end of his runup. Bowler has to finish over within 4 minutes not counting time wasted by batter. A bowler's stopclock and a batter's stopclock can be used like in chess. Etc. I am not wedded to the exact times but after 4 minutes, 1 run will be added per ball in addition to the runs scored off that ball. I am too tired of watching captains changing their field after every ball. I like tactics but there has to be some limits and some reasonable constraints.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

prasen9 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:39 am Batsmen need to be ready within 10 seconds after umpire calls time. Bowler has to bowl one ball within 30 seconds of umpire calling time, which he will call after bowler reaches the end of his runup. Bowler has to finish over within 4 minutes not counting time wasted by batter. A bowler's stopclock and a batter's stopclock can be used like in chess. Etc. I am not wedded to the exact times but after 4 minutes, 1 run will be added per ball in addition to the runs scored off that ball. I am too tired of watching captains changing their field after every ball. I like tactics but there has to be some limits and some reasonable constraints.
U have to give allowance for left-right combination and pace/spin with spin bowlers getting less time. The challenge, would be for umpires to show time and for someone to be maintaining this clock every ball. So start off with something small like a clock for overs. A warning every rime a bowler does not finish the delivery with in allotted time(giving allowances for 4-6s) . Second time it happens with in the innings, The remaining delivery should be a free hit.

This will probably swing game even more further towards batsmen, so need rules to prevent time wasting by batsmen. Essentially give batsman 30 seconds between overs to be ready and allow a batsman only one warning to go over that limit. The penalty will be challenging. May be if they go over 3 times, time them out?
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

You can fix it. Once the umpire calls time, the bowler can start running and bowl. The batsman needs to be ready. But, ready or not, the bowler can bowl unless the umpire calls time. And, maybe give the batters 3 timeout calls every 10 overs or so. You will see the batsmen will stop time wasting and get ready fearing the bowler just bowling someone out even if they have not taken guard.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

Baseball now has a pitch clock which has shortened a typical game by 15% or more by time. While some of the players complained when it was going to be introduced, they have adjusted to it pretty well.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

It is human nature to waste time when there is no strict deadline. I know there are some fines, etc. but they have not worked.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/03/30/us/m ... index.html

Impact on batters quirky routine in baseball

https://www.espn.in/mlb/story/_/id/3851 ... gger-bases
The challenge is that baseball also eliminated shifting which probably helped batters as well, so difficult to truly quantify impact.

I think in baseball it is a strike call, which kind of seems fair. We can probably give three strikes and third strike may be timed retired, where a batsman needs to retire. For first two strikes count it as a dot ball with no runs scored. The bowler can choose to bowl or skip that delivery all together. Even if the bowler chooses to bowl, runs scored will not be counted, but if batsman loses his wicket, he is gone. Another thing to eliminate is mid-pitch conference. give a pair one visit during overs with a timed clock. Meaning the two same partners cannot take time in middle of the over more than once in an innings. This is for T20 and can be increased for odi and test cricket.

My biggest concern is that game will fundamentally shift towards batsman. So there has to be a rule change that will benefit bowlers especially in white ball cricket.

also the impact of conditions. In baseball, there are mid innings break for players to get their hydration needs met. For a batsman that is at batting crease for almost 1 hour, the drink breaks can seem like a long wait. So may need to bake in fee seconds for getting drinks (timed) for so every 15-20 minutes.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Removing the fielding restrictions nonsense is first requirement to make it a fair contest.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

A fun light video between Lisa Sthalekar, who seems like the host and Alyssa Healy and Mitch Starc, two Australian stars who happen to be a couple. They talk about Virat Kohli, WPL, their own golf cup (for the family) etc. Starcs on Sthalekar Thought it was interesting passtime.
Rajkumar Sharma
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Rajkumar Sharma »

Finn Allen looks perfect replacement of Guptill