Chess - General Thread

Basically a froum to cover chess now that we seem to have sufficient interest in the game.

Moderator: Moderators

Sin Hombre
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Vaishali Rameshbabu thread

Post by Sin Hombre »

Vaishali hasn’t done anything to deserve a thread yet and 33 ELO points are not “mere” nor a gimme for her.

Merge this thread mods.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

^^^ I was wondering about that too...
Saffron Lenin

Post by Saffron Lenin »

Sin Hombre wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:53 pm Vaishali hasn’t done anything to deserve a thread yet and 33 ELO points are not “mere” nor a gimme for her.

Merge this thread mods.

I apologize for that! I think I should wait till he got her GM title. Actually, I saw a tweet by Vishwanath Anand where he was congratulating her for getting her 3rd and last GM norm, so I thought it would be good to create a thread on her as she is soon going be third Grandmaster from India (female)
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Re: Chess - General Thread

Post by sameerph »

I have merged that thread in Chess- General Thread.
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

Saffron Lenin wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 5:28 pm Vaishali Rameshbabu a handful of points away from becoming third female Grandmaster from India after Qatar Masters heroics

With the confirmation of her GM norm, Vaishali now holds the title of GM-elect, further solidifying her position as one of India’s brightest chess prospects. Currently boasting a live rating of 2467.7, she stands a mere 32.3 Elo points away from becoming India’s third female Grandmaster, following in the footsteps of Koneru Humpy and Harika Dronavalli.

https://indianexpress.com/article/sport ... 3-8993505/
This is pretty bad writing and journalism. Did she get her 3rd GM norm and is now to be the GM? Or is this excessive hype even before things happen? Then, she is not the GM-elect yet. Also, there is no "title" of GM-elect per se. Journalism all over the world is going from bad to worse. Even if things are not factually false per se, this is a pretty confusing quote.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

She may have taken right years to go from an International Master to getting her third GM norm,
I don’t think it is an official title and the GM elect may be conferred when they have met the norms including the rating , but still waiting for FIDE to ratify in their regular meeting? Kind of like President elect until they officially take the oath.

I think chess needs to change their norms . too many GM titles are conferred.
Saffron Lenin

Post by Saffron Lenin »

I think chess needs to change their norms . too many GM titles are conferred.
There is an unofficial term "Super-GM" used for 2700/ 2750 + rated players!!!!!
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

I used to think GM was a big deal. I am not so sure now. I’ve questioned this in the past too as it’s not translated into much for India despite having so many of them.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Vaishali if she does become the 3rd female GM from India would be a decent accomplishment.

GM-elect is for people who have met all the requirements- 3 norms and 2500 rating. Vaishali is not that yet.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Exactly. Which is why saying, "With the confirmation of her GM norm, Vaishali now holds the title of GM-elect" is flatly wrong and crappy journalism. And, to add insult to injury, that crappy news article got posted here. I would request that we try to post accurate articles here. We do not need to glorify sites that resort to sensationalism to get clicks (and thereby make money).
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

I’d like to request that we don’t get picky. So what if a thread was started, so what if links are not totally accurate? We need enthusiasts such as Saffron, and let’s not discourage them. It’s not like we are losing a medal or revenue. This is a purely volunteer site and I’ve seen the torch pass from Jay to Jaydeep to Sameer over the past 10-15 years. We need the next warriors here and Saffron, gunsnroses, etc. are among those.

Let’s give them space. The thread justification is a silly discussion in my opinion. We have many threads that violate the unpublished norms here. Let’s not curb people’s enthusiasm and become a stickler community.

I’ll let the moderators decide.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

FWIW, the volunteer sites that I follow (mostly on US pro sports) are well moderated by moderators that have deep passion for their sport or team.
SaniaFan

Post by SaniaFan »

Our forum is also well moderated. In fact least moderation required is a sign of mature forum.
ankit1407

Post by ankit1407 »

Where is Jaydeep btw, have not seen a post for a long long time ?
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

ankit1407 wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:41 am Where is Jaydeep btw, have not seen a post for a long long time ?
He is fine. I sent him a message on FB worried when not seeing him active here for quite some time. He replied that he is ok and not posting here as got occupied with some other pressing matters.