Chess - General Thread

Basically a froum to cover chess now that we seem to have sufficient interest in the game.

Moderator: Moderators

Kumar
Authors
Authors

Chess - General Thread

Post by Kumar »

sorry kathir, didn't do a whole lot of chess forum browsing.

Anyway Sasi is doing well so far in the Aeroflot open, he has 2.5 / 3 so far and . his results so far, (Player on right has white pieces) and Sasi has won both the games with white. He is in joint 4th position with 25 other players

R1 Sasikiran, Krishnan 1 - Kosyrev, Vladimir 0
R2 Ghaem Maghami, Ehsan 0.5 - Sasikiran, Krishnan 0.5
R3 Sasikiran, Krishnan 1 - Korotylev, Alexey 0

Round 4
Kotronias, Vasilios - Sasikiran, Krishnan (black)
david
Please enter the middle number: 1

A press release from Anand

Post by david »

NIIT Brand Ambassador - GM Viswanathan Anand
to cheer the Indian Hockey Team

India's Chess ace, Viswanathan Anand will be among the spectators for the key India-Pakistan Hockey match to be played in Madrid on 6th March.

Anand, who is part Madrilenyo, will for the first time be a spectator at an
International Sporting event where India is playing. "We don't get many
other sportsmen from India here in Madrid. Mahesh did very well here in
October, but I was away in Moscow at that time. My last event in 1998 in
Madrid was also very lucky for me. Hope that repeats with the hockey team."

Anand has been following the progress of the team on the Internet. Today, the Indian chess maestro in a telephonic conversation with Mr. Singh wished the team all the very best for the game against Malaysia.

The Embassy of India in Madrid has made special arrangements for the Indian community in Madrid to watch the games and hopes to field a sizeable cheering squad for the Hockey team.

Anand was invited in 1999 to the Club de Campo, the venue of the Hockey qualifications to give a simultaneous display and remembers fondly being shown the hockey field and the mementos of the various visits made by the Indian hockey team to Spain.

"Most Europeans have heard about our prowess in Hockey. I am glad that India is playing in Madrid and I hope it proves to be a lucky venue for them. I look forward to watching them in action. I was in Sydney when India played but unfortunately I couldn't watch it live. This will be the first time I will be watching India in action. I wish the team all the best and I hope they play without any pressures and enjoy their experience here." Said Anand from his residence in Spain.

The next stop on the chess circuit for Anand is the Melody Amber Tournament that starts on March 19th in Monaco. The annual Blind and Rapid chess event played in Monte Carlo is a unique thematic tournament. The World Rapid Chess Champion will defend his title at the 13th edition of the event. Anand has won the event already three times ( 1994, 1997 and 2003). In 1997 he created an unprecedented and unbeaten record of winning the two categories of Blind, Rapid and the combined prize.

Anand has been training for the event and will take time off from his work to watch India in action on Saturday.
PKBasu

Chess - General Thread

Post by PKBasu »

Vishy Anand has returned to the #2 rank in world chess, and has among the highest FIDE ratings of all time (2774). But like Viktor Korchnoi, Anand is in danger of being remembered as a perennial number 2 (despite winning the FIDE's version of the world championship, which has been boycotted by Kasparov for almost a decade).
Here's the rediff story:
http://in.rediff.com/sports/2004/apr/05chess.htm

Let's hope there is another challenge match between Anand and Kasparov. No matter what the FIDE says, Anand needs to beat Kasparov to be properly recognised as the world champion.
PKBasu

Chess - General Thread

Post by PKBasu »

Incidentally, Krishnan Sasikaran is the only other Indian in the top 100. He is now ranked #39, while Harikrishna (with a rating of 2599) is likely ranked around #110. Koneru Humpy (who turned 17 just last week) is ranked #3 in the world among women, and of course #1 in the world among girls; she is the only girl in the world with the title of Grandmaster -- not just women's grandmaster. (Harikrishna is ranked #9 among boys).

See, for instance, this FIDE site:
http://www.fide.com/ratings/top.phtml?cod=4
david

Chess - General Thread

Post by david »

I thought Judit Polgar is a GM
Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

Chess - General Thread

Post by Dhruv »

david wrote:I thought Judit Polgar is a GM
Yes she is. Actually she is ranked #9 in the world which is pretty good. The FIDE ranks are as follows
World (Men + Women)
Women
Juniors (Boys +Girls)
Girls

So I guess Humpy is the only girl with a GM title although given how the FIDE title things(GM, WM, M etc) work you could have a lower FIDE ranking and be a GM and conversly as is the case be a much higher FIDE player with a lot of FIDE points but no GM title. Hope that part made sense . :)
PKBasu

Chess - General Thread

Post by PKBasu »

David, Judit Polgar is of course a GM -- but she's not a girl (under-18) anymore! Koneru Humpu is the only woman below 18 who is a full Grandmaster.
PKBasu

Chess - General Thread

Post by PKBasu »

David, Judit Polgar is of course a GM -- but she's not a girl (under-18) anymore! Koneru Humpu is the only woman below 18 who is a full Grandmaster.
It really is quite startling to find that Humpy is ranked above Maia Chiburdanidze, the Soviet woman (now playing under the flag of Georgia) who dominated women's chess until Judit Polgar came along.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Chess - General Thread

Post by Kumar »

PKB, Koneru Humpy is vERy Good !!! Letz hope she can take India to the first olympic gold (olympiad) coming at the year end!!!

I have been following Sasi's career for a long time and not very sure, if he can reach the heights of Anand. But his achievement to be ranked in top 100 is really great (he can get into lot of top rated tournaments with his ranking)
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Chess - General Thread

Post by Kumar »

Sasi played upto his seeding and finished second at the Dubai open along with 13 other (including Harikrishna) . Magnus Carlsen of Norway became the youngest Grandmast in the world at the age of 13 years!!!
kathiresan_v

Chess - General Thread

Post by kathiresan_v »

Vishwanathan Anand wins the Chess Oscar for the third time, the games most prestigeous annual award.

Anand (4150 points) a victor by one of the biggest margins in recent times finishing 1575 points ahead of his nearest rival, Peter Svidler (2575). Anand, who has twice earlier won the Chess Oscar in 1997 and 1998, is only the second non-Russian after Bobby Fischer (1970, 71, and 72) to win the award and both now share the record of three Oscars each.
Anand Wins Chess Oscar

Kathir
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Chess - General Thread

Post by Kumar »

Please check this link in Hindu regarding women world chess championship!!! Will we have a indian champion. Humpy advances to next round!!!

http://www.hindu.com/2004/05/24/stories ... 881900.htm
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Chess - General Thread

Post by Kumar »

Humpy won the first game of her second round against Peng Zhaoqin of the Netherlands with white pieces and has to draw the second game to advance to third round .

http://www.hindu.com/2004/05/25/stories ... 461800.htm
kathiresan_v

Chess - General Thread

Post by kathiresan_v »

Humpy drawn the second game of second round against Peng Zhaoqin (Ned) and moved on to pre-quarterfinals.

Kathir
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Chess - General Thread

Post by Kumar »

Humpy won the first game of her PQF with black pieces to move a step closer to quarter finals. She beat Tatiana Kosintseva in a longest battle of the day. Kathir, do you know why Viji is not in this tournament? Did she fail to qualify?

http://www.hindu.com/2004/05/27/stories ... 932100.htm