Indian Volleyball

All other sports such as squash, badminton,volleyball, atheletics etc which are not covered by any other forum heading can be entered in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Indian Volleyball

Post by jayakris »

Saffron Lenin wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:19 am Does u21 ranking perform translate in Senior team performance? I have checked fiva Ranking, it is 59 now!!!!
We have discussed it in some of the earlier pages in this thread. If you are consistently getting a top-20 type u21 ranking every two years (when the u21 world events are held; the continental events the year before that determine the seedings of the world events), then it would show up in the national rankings a few years later. For India, when we were earlier in the top-20s some three or four times in the mid 2000s, one or two players from each of those teams ended up in the national team by early 2010s and we had a world top top-25 caliber senior team 8 or 10 years ago. Well ahead of Pakistan at around #40 to #50 and we would beat them very regularly. Also the Kazakhs/Uzbeks, all middle east teams. We would then only lose to Iran, Japan, China, Korea, and maybe Australia. Thailand would be usually on par with us or just behind. We never made the senior world cup though. You need to be in the wold top-20 and Asian top-3 or 4 for that. But India generally has had teams of the world top-20 to 35 quality (around 5th to 6th in Asia most of the time) at the senior level.

Don't worry about the #59 world ranking now (around Asian #10). It is a temporary thing (lasting 2 to 4 years). After around 2015 we had serious politics in our federation which became two factions claiming to be the official one. It went to a court case, FIVB banned us for a couple of years, etc. Pathetic mess. So we basically did not play international events at any level for around 4 years and the rankings that depend on the latest years' record, went down drastically. The team also became old and low on quality match sharpness (especially the youngsters who were to become leaders by now). But it was great to see that we are still producing junior players of good quality, for the first time in a long time, with our u18 and u20 show this year. One of the best years we have ever had, when both the junior teams two years apart did well and reached world final-16s. Between the two teams, I assume there are 3 or 4 players who will be in our senior team in the next few years. Our senior ranking also should go up over the next 4 to 5 years. It was an expected setback, from the horrible political fight we had for years.

If we get another u18 team of world final-16 quality in 2 years to add to the current u20 and u18 teams (six years of world top-15 quality), watch out for us. We will still lose to Iran (we always will and that will NOT change!), but we could even be top-3 in Asia.

It was notable that China, Japan, Korea and Australia have all had a bad time in the juniors. If their talent pipeline has got broken a bit and we are doing fine, that will help us in the coming years. Look ahead to 4+ years down the line to foresee anything in the seniors.
Saffron Lenin

Post by Saffron Lenin »

I have heard that the fight is still continuing in federation. Last year, when prime volleyball league was inaugurated the federation stopped players to participate in it And started threatening that doing so would let them out of team forever.

This time prime volleyball league season 2 is coming 👇
https://sportstar.thehindu.com/volleyba ... 942514.ece
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Yeah, but that is between the Federation and a private party doing the league that split away from the federation - and not the factional fight within VFI. This was again politicians showing their egos, disregarding how it affects the players, I guess. Some players like from Kerala went to court, for their right to represent the state at the national games, when the state federation did not pick them, apparently as directed by the VFI because they happened to be drafted by the league. They didn't have much of a choice, and can't say no to whatever little money they can make and continue playing the sport they love, but that doesn't matter for the politicians. These folks have no interest in the players and the teams doing well. They just want to be in their power play games and boost their own egos.

Within the volleyball federation of India, I think one faction lost the court case and is no longer relevant (but I haven't followed it that closely - check back in previous pages here and you will see some of my comments). But, again, ego fights and factionalism amongst politicians are going to start as it always does in Indian organizations. It is only a matter of time!
Saffron Lenin

Post by Saffron Lenin »

I think the faction who lost the case is controlling the VFI (not sure though)...
I don't know what will be the future of prime volleyball league will be!!!
The current head of federation is a politician from Biju janta dal odisha
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

^^^ Then we have problems. If the guys who lost are controlling VFI :(

I think you are talking about them losing the case against the Prime Volleyball league though. I was talking about the earlier court case when FIVB banned us. I think one group won at the end of that, and got control of VFI. Maybe the prime league was pushed by the guys who lost that case and lost control of VFI. Who knows. Sordid affair, so I don't even try to search and find info from the very few news articles we get on Volleyball in India.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Some good news from last month.

FIVB Signs MoU with KISS For Volleyball Promotion in India & South Asia (The Free Press Journal)

Now Naveen Patnaik and Odisha are helping Volleyball also. Not just hockey. "The International Volleyball Federation (FIVB) has signed an MoU with the Kalinga Institute of Social Sciences (KISS) for the growth and development of youth volleyball in India and South Asia"
srini

Post by srini »

In the last edition of Khelo India, Odisha is placed a lowly 26th out of 33 states in medal standings in spite of all its government does. Odisha has area rank of 8th, population ranking of 11th in Indian states to put things in perspective. Haryana as one would expect has topped the tally,2nd being "Maha".

I would expect Odisha to have lot of potential for sports as it has lot of indigenous population with a DNA for Stamina. Takes more grooming i think.
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

Area and population may be relevant but what is more relevant is maybe GDP per capita. What is Odissa's rank?

Update: Answering my own question. #24. Much closer, right? So, a slight underperformance.

P.S. Not saying that GDP per capita is the only criterion. For example, Goa and Sikkim are rich states but they do not have the population to put their money to use and identify the "freaks" to do well. It should be a combination of GDP pc and population and a bunch of things.
Saffron Lenin

Post by Saffron Lenin »

This is not updated on volleyball......Threaf is for volleyball
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Some big news on volleyball

Volleyball: India to host FIVB Club World Championship; PVL winners to take part (ESPN)

This will be held for two years in India!!

As for PVL itself, the article says
Meanwhile, PVL season 2, which starts on February 4 in Bengaluru will see a new franchise added to the roster, the Mumbai Meteors. Mumbai joins Bengaluru, Kolkata, Calicut, Ahmedabad, Hyderabad, Chennai, and Kochi as cities that have a franchise in the league.

PVL 2023 will be played across Bengaluru, Hyderabad and Kochi with the final to be played on March 5 in Kochi.
Where is this place Calicut? It is Kozhikode, people! :)
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Official website of PVL (lots of info, scores, and full match videos!!) -- https://www.primevolleyballleague.com/
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

jayakris wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:14 am Where is this place Calicut? It is Kozhikode, people! :)
I have thought about this and don't have a clear answer. These are the two sides. On the one hand, should a language be able to name places differently? Or should we always try to be as close to the native pronunciation as possible?

Every language uses different terms to call places differently. We use "India" whereas it should be "Bharat". Should we ask people to call our country Bharatbarsha. Actually, in my side of the country, we call it Bharotborsho. But, maybe we accept the tyranny of the majority to avoid confusion. Or do we need the country/city/place to officially change the name before we ask people to use the new name, which is the old name?

Then, we should call Germany Doychlant (closest phonetic spelling). The Spanish should not call the U.S.A. Estados Unidos, etc.

Also, if a place changes its name, e.g., Calcutta became Kolkata, I am confused about what I should write when I have to write my place of birth. Should I use the old name to say when I was born it was called Calcutta in English assuming I am filling out the form in English? There is no confusion if the form is in Bangla. We always wrote Kolkata or maybe more formally Kolikata. What if I am filling out a form in German? Should I write it as Kalkutta? I think I have seen PKB use Calcutta even after the change was official although I do think he has no love lost with the British. If I am not mistaken. Of course, when talking in English. I doubt he uses that in Bangla.

What do people think? Is there a principled way to decide? :Offtopic:
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

I had some thought on the above posts but forgot to write those... Will do that later and move posts.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Mw=eanwhile, an interesting articleon the Prime Volleyball League which had its second edition - PVL 2023: Kerala the flagbearer of volleyball in India (Sportstar)

I didn't know that more than 35 of the 100 players in PVL were from Kerala. Glad to see these guys getting into some limelight.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »