Junior Circuits Abroad for Indian Kids...

All posts regarding specific player and player fans threads are in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dhruv »

nkoth wrote:I guess the bigger question is why bother with these $25K tournaments at all. It's doubtful she would be able to win a match at this level on clay (especially given her recent injury and the scores of her last few matches) -- and as she's only allowed to enter a finite number of tournaments given her age, perhaps it's best to save her entry cards for grass and hard court tournaments where she's likely to fare better? It seems to me that going to Germany and playing on clay in the (relative) safety of the junior ranks is the way to go... What she needs is experience right now, especially as it's doubtful she's going to be picking up points at a $25K level.
Yes that is a good point and I was surprised that she was going to try and these tournaments esp on a surface that is admittedly not her best. A tourney on hardcourts or grass would in my opinion have been a better option esp. as she only has a limited number of tourneys that she can play in. She should and still can I would imagine play some of the the junior tournaments in Europe and wait till the $25K tourneys are on a surface more to her liking.

Speaking of clay in general, European clay, it seems, is much slower than the clay courts in India and either Indian players, like the Americans, can either decide to skip the clay season and only play the hardcourt and the ever shrinking grass season or in my mind a better option being that they should spend some time training in this stuff. The experience gained just by the coaching and the extra points that you have play will make a lot of difference in the long run.

Well meanwhile Sanaa and Sania beat K. Bodarenko and H El Tabakh in the doubles QF 76 64 to move into the semis.
BSharma
Authors
Authors
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by BSharma »

Way to go Sania and take revenge for the loss in singles to Heidi El Tabakh.

Best of luck to the San-San combo in the semifinals. You have nothing to lose against the much fancied pair in the semis; give your best shot, and God willing we may have another pair in the finals!

(Jay, you came up with the "Indian Express" and recently "Heshelena". Surely you can do better than San-San combo.)
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

Actually I didn't coin "Indian Express" -- that came from LP and MB themselves, in an interview with ATP where they said it in passing in early 98 or something. I may have helped popularize it a bit, that's all .. I don't think either of them ever mentioned the name afterwards anywhere, but we have been using it ever since.

Just can't think of any good names for he girls ..
"Sansquared"? .. "SanDesh"? .. "San Duo"?
"San kids"? .. "The Sans" ? .. "San-San"? .. "do Sans"?
"Arty Sans"? .. "SanSaar"? .. "Sanskaar"? .. "Dance Sans"? ..
"Sans Fear" ?? ..

May be that last one? .. "Sans Fear" ? ... Fits with the French theme .. OK, I pick that one for now, until somebody comes up with something better.

Jay
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

For what its worth, I like "San Duo"
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

There is an article by Sukhwant Basra in The Times of India that is worth reading by the Indian tennis fans and young tennis players. It is a story about Rohit Rajpal and the problems he faced trying to become a top tennis player. I believe that things have changed to some extent now. Here is the link to that article.

I have put this article under this thread because it deals with the junior players. Jay or Dhruv, should we have a separate thread for interesting articles in the newspaper or magazines or books?

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/cms. ... ?msid=8620
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

I like "San Duo" but once Sania and Sanaa start putting fear into the minds of their opponents (like the William sisters) then "Sans Fear" would be the apt name. Jay, you do come up with great names once you put on your Professorial hat!!! Even though you do not take credit for "Indian Express", that name forever will be linked to you because you made it popular.
Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dhruv »

BSharma wrote:I have put this article under this thread because it deals with the junior players. Jay or Dhruv, should we have a separate thread for interesting articles in the newspaper or magazines or books?
I can start a separate thread where everyone can put articles etc. Will do that next week along with a place where we can compile all the info collected for us by Rishav I believe.
nkoth

Post by nkoth »

Hmm, I notice that Sania's name has been removed from the acceptance lists for the upcoming two Italian $25K tournies (Grado and Gorizia.) Either she's still not feeling well (though her run in Roland Garros doubles speaks otherwise) or she and her family have realized she's got a much better chance for WTA points on grass or hard courts. Not sure if she's now accompanying the AITA team to Germany or training somewhere else...

Anyway, in bigger news -- the Wimbledon juniors acceptances are out -- and they contain a huge surprise for Indians. :D

Girls Main Draw:
8 A 11 MIRZA Sania IND F 15-Nov-86
42 A 53 BHAMBRI Sanaa IND F 07-Mar-88
46 A 177 RAO Sunitha IND F 27-Oct-85 :eek:

Girls Qualifiers:
15 Q 77 IYER Tara IND F 08-Jul-88

Girls Alternates:
39 R 402 CHHEDA Krushmi IND F 22-May-85

Boys Main Draw:
44 A 49 DEV VARMAN Somdev IND M 13-Feb-85

Boys Qualifiers:
4 Q 63 RASTOGI Karan IND M 08-Oct-86

Boys Alternates:
40 R 260 SINGH Navdeep IND M 21-Feb-86
58 R 476 PUNNA Vikas IND M 21-May-85

Not only is Sunitha now listed by Wimbledon as playing for India, but has taken a spot in the Junior draw! Wow! I suppose she'll still play qualies for a spot in the main adult draw as well.

-neil
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

Great news that Sunitha is listed as an Indian at Wimbledon! Sunitha, Sania, Sanaa, Isha, Tara, etc will make a formidible Indian women's team in 4 to 5 years. I think Sunitha will push Sania, Isha, etc to become even better.

I think that Sunitha will try to qualify into the main draw at Wimbledon and if she does not make it then will play the junior event.
Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dhruv »

nkoth wrote:Hmm, I notice that Sania's name has been removed from the acceptance lists for the upcoming two Italian $25K tournies (Grado and Gorizia.) Either she's still not feeling well (though her run in Roland Garros doubles speaks otherwise) or she and her family have realized she's got a much better chance for WTA points on grass or hard courts. Not sure if she's now accompanying the AITA team to Germany or training somewhere else...
Yes I noticed that. Now I have to change my schedule page again to reflect this :grumble: Why can't they stick to a schedule and make my life easier :grumble: Anyway, I think this is a good move, but I would still like to know where she is playing next. I would think it would probably be too late for Halle but not too late for Roehampton. Although she might not have withdrawn from either.

As for Sunitha :bounce: I wonder if in the qualies for the main draw she will (IND) too.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Dhruv, Neil and I knew about the Sunitha story a few weeks earlier but didn't want to talk about it. Her agent (George Lopez) is officially calling a press conference to announce the story and the details of her plans, I believe. They would like it to get nice press coverage then. So, shhhhh... for now :)

But the entry list showing (IND) is nice to see.

Jay
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

In the Chatroom, we had a spirited discussion with Imran Mirza about Sania's plan to play clay next week. Maybe, just maybe, we managed to change Imran's mind...
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

I noticed in the press that Sania is in India this week (perhaps with one or two of her team-mates). This is a bit disappointing, especially given the acclimatisation problems she and the other Indian juniors have been having. LP and MB also tend to go to India after some of their seminal achievements. But Sania and the other juniors should have been practicing on grass under European conditions this week. Going from Paris to India before hopping across the Channel to the UK appears completely counter-intuitive, and a tad worrying -- unless there is a bigger reason such as an injury (which too would be very worrisome a fortnight ahead of Wimbledon).
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

I don't think she is in India. That was a PTI news item that seems to have come from Delhi. Saw one of the newspapers say she was in Delhi, probably because of that. I didn't see it in the same news in other newspapers. I am pretty sure she is still in Europe..

Jay
Sunil Yajaman

Post by Sunil Yajaman »

San is not in Delhi but, is with the other kids in Germany. She will be playing the Grade 1 & Grade 4 in Frankfurt & Halle before going to Roehampton. She had to withdraw from Italy Women's Circuit as she could not go for the sign in for qualies due to her Semifinal match in Paris.

When we requested both the German organisers in the last moment for a wild card, they were kind enough to give her one.

All the kids play their match today in Frankfurt