Roland Garros Claycourt Run-Up Tournaments 2024

This is a forum where users can follow various tournaments that have Indian participation or are held in India. GrandSlams and Davis Cup should also be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

arjun2761
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Roland Garros Claycourt Run-Up Tournaments 2024

Post by arjun2761 »

Perhaps, he is taking next week off? Looks like he may next play in the Madrid Master Qualifying? Perhaps, he is listening to his body and feels some rest is good for him to recover and play well through the summer. Hopefully, it is being proactive and not reactive to some injury that he's picked up.🤞
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Madrid qualifying would be on Saturday? He did not want to play in 2 days again and wants to rest after four matches this week. Not a bad idea. Sometimes when you rest and train, your brain gets a chance to absorb things and digest it. That way he can work on a few things in practice to fine tune it and do even better in the week after where it is another Masters tournament. Hence.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

I believe Madrid qualifying starts on April 22 (Monday) as it is a 2 week Masters event like IW and Miami. So, he could have played Munich next week (where he made the main draw) and then played the Madrid qualies with no overlap. I'm hoping this is just a rest and recovery break and isn't due to injury.

Both Somdev and Yuki had deep runs in IW and Miami and then promptly got injured which kept them out for many months. Really hoping this isn't that situation.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Maybe the significant other demanded a nice vacay with the hard earned money :D
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

Atithee wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:10 pm Maybe the significant other demanded a nice vacay with the hard earned money :D
Pray enlighten us! I do follow his Insta page and closest thing to a woman in his posts is Somdev with his long hair. :D
Sanjay

Post by Sanjay »

arjun2761 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:52 pm
Atithee wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:10 pm Maybe the significant other demanded a nice vacay with the hard earned money :D
Pray enlighten us! I do follow his Insta page and closest thing to a woman in his posts is Somdev with his long hair. :D
Not a whole lot but I found this.
https://www.essentiallysports.com/atp-t ... -behavior/
Sumit Nagal stunned the authorities by bringing his girlfriend to the junior Wimbledon doubles

In 2015, Sumit Nagal had another incident of being indisciplined. He brought his girlfriend along in Delhi during the junior doubles Wimbledon tournament. A reliable AITA source said– “Well, he did not ask anyone before bringing his girlfriend to Delhi. When he arrived at the hotel, the girl was with him. Captain Anand Amritraj promptly asked him to send her back which he did,”

The AITA was also asked why didn’t they take any action against Nagal after repetitive disciplinary issues, the source commented- “It came to light only when the squad was already announced for the Spain tie. At that time we were not sure what was happening. When he was countered he denied the charge. We believed him, but things got worse and more stories surfaced, then we had to take a firm stand,”
Of course this is from 2015.

In India we seem to enjoy killing careers over "discipline issues". I remember there was a section of people including some of my own friends who wanted Virat Kohli dropped from the Indian team because he gave it back to the racist Aussie crowds in 2008 or so. "Cricket is a gentleman's game, we cannot have such players ruining it". :roll: Thank God the team management did not virtue signal over it.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

What's wrong with a girlfriend? As long as she is not keeping him up the night before the match when playing for the national team, it should be fine. If while playing for the national team, the coach had a curfew, that needed to be respected.

But, now he is on his own. Maybe Atithee just meant that his girlfriend wanted a break and was just being light-hearted. Who knows. But, whatever it is, I think it is a smart tennis decision not to play after he played four tough matches this week. A bit of rest especially skipping a lower level 250 tournament to play two 1000 tournaments especially when you have had injury problems in the past is a good idea, imho.

Atithee's theory is that a lot of players go downhill after getting married. :-)
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

Absolutely nothing wrong with having a girlfriend. Just not seeing any evidence that Sumit has one!
sanjay8886

Post by sanjay8886 »

Is it possible that he may have got WC to Barcelona? I see that is still to be awarded. Although, he may have got in anyway.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

sanjay8886 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:58 am Is it possible that he may have got WC to Barcelona? I see that is still to be awarded. Although, he may have got in anyway.
He could have been granted a wildcard and they might not have announced it. In that case, I think the qualifying list won't list it as a withdrawal. The name would be just taken out of that list and they will produce a list. Only when the main draw comes out, one would see the wildcard.

The next two names behind him for entry were Spaniards Agut and Ramos-Vinolas who follow Sumit, so if Sumit made it into the list earlier today, they would need to give a wildcard to them instead, but this works better (if they know that there will be one more withdrawal from the main draw that they do not want to announce for two days). It is a bit complicated, but I can imagine reasons why they would do it this way with a wildcard offer to Sumit...

Totally a guess from me. I just do not understand how his name can totally disappear from the list like this, otherwise (and we saw official announcement that he withdrew from the other two ATP events)
atula

Post by atula »

Stakes are probably too high for Sumit to Miss a direct entry in an ATP...Tournament..

In the 8-10Yrs of his career, I can't remember a single instance where in he has gained a direct entry in an ATP Tour Event..Excluding the Qualies or Wildcards.

Here's a golden opportunity that you just can't afford to miss..that people vie for, die for..Ask a 150th/200th or further ranked player..what it's like to get a direct entry in an ATP Tour Level Event..without playing the Qualies..

& Here,we have someone just pulling out of an ATP level tour event..

Unless Sumit is injured a bit or not feeling well or Unfit,it probably dose'nt make sense....As they say A bird in hand is worth two in a bush..

He's trying to play the Qualies of a Madrid but pulling out of Main Draw ATP Event .!!

If someone could just get the correct details..we could know the things..
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Horses' mouths are silent, so I assume there is some reason why they are :)
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

jayakris wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:06 pm ^^^ Yeah, I am not sure what is going on. He suddenly disappeared from the Barcelona/Bucharest/Munich lists altogether, like he was never there... And he is listed as withdrawn in the Munich qualifying list too. He decided not to play next week? Why?
This is confusing. Disappeared from Munich? He is listed as withdrawn from Munich qualies. And, he is listed in Madrid as in qualies. Had he entered Barcelona before and was listed there and is now gone?
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

atula wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:32 am Stakes are probably too high for Sumit to Miss a direct entry in an ATP...Tournament..

In the 8-10Yrs of his career, I can't remember a single instance where in he has gained a direct entry in an ATP Tour Event..Excluding the Qualies or Wildcards.

Here's a golden opportunity that you just can't afford to miss..that people vie for, die for..Ask a 150th/200th or further ranked player..what it's like to get a direct entry in an ATP Tour Level Event..without playing the Qualies..

& Here,we have someone just pulling out of an ATP level tour event..

Unless Sumit is injured a bit or not feeling well or Unfit,it probably dose'nt make sense....As they say A bird in hand is worth two in a bush..

He's trying to play the Qualies of a Madrid but pulling out of Main Draw ATP Event .!!

If someone could just get the correct details..we could know the things..
Ok, now I am more confused .What tour event was he a direct entry in? He was in Munich qualies. And, Madrid qualies. He withdrew from Munich qualies ...
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Prasen, the Madrid masters is later (week after from Apr 24th). It is Barcelona 500, Munich 250 and Bucharest 250 this week. Sumit was in the entry list for main draw for all three (but a few spots out. As of Thursday afternoon in Europe, he made the main draw at Munich and Barcelona, and he withdrew from both (we saw the list with withdrawal) and was in the Barcelona list as Next-in. Half hour later, we saw that his name disappeared from all three main draw list and main draw alt list. It was showing only in the qualifying entry list for Munich, as "withdrawn" (as you saw). Where did his name o suddenly from the main draw and main draw ALT lists?? Very strange.