Roland Garros Claycourt Run-Up Tournaments 2024

This is a forum where users can follow various tournaments that have Indian participation or are held in India. GrandSlams and Davis Cup should also be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

Sanjay

Re: Roland Garros Claycourt Run-Up Tournaments 2024

Post by Sanjay »

The break may be what Sumit needs to regroup.

I often tell my son this. When you play a good player, they will make you commit more mistakes. It is not like your play got worse. It is likely that Sumit is playing the same and Rune is just too good of a player and that makes Sumit looks worse than earlier days. It is No 93 vs No 7 after all and Sumit is doing well considering the rank disparity.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

Sumit is playing quite well, and as expected. He has missed 6 or 7 winners due to shot accuracy issues, and the ball sailing on him or dipping into the net on many shots that looked good. It may be also because of the overcast conditions (it is freezing there, as Vatsal tells us). His shot selection and on court decision-making have all been quite good.

I think he does better with his shots when it is bright and sunny. Most of his good wins have come in such conditions. I think he even requests to be scheduled for the first match at many events because of that. Not sure of that, but I have noticed him playing a lot more first matches than others, and invariably doing well in them.
arjun2761
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by arjun2761 »

I don't know if RPM stats are available anywhere. I think Sumit (like his near last name namesake) hits the ball with more top spin than most. That makes his shots heavier and harder to handle than the pace (which is on the lower side) would indicate. I noticed that especially when he was playing Bublik at the AO when Bublik couldn't handle what seemed like straight forward shots hit straight to him. Not sure if the wet and cold versus sunny and warm helps or hurts his shot shape. However, he may just be more comfortable and energetic in warmer weather given that he (and all Indians) are all genetically adapted for warmer weather. :D
Sanjay

Post by Sanjay »

jayakris wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:30 pm I think he does better with his shots when it is bright and sunny. Most of his good wins have come in such conditions. I think he even requests to be scheduled for the first match at many events because of that. Not sure of that, but I have noticed him playing a lot more first matches than others, and invariably doing well in them.
That is an interesting observation!
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Good news. Rain kept coming back, so the match is postponed to second on the main court tomorrow, so around 1 pm there. Hopefully no rain tomorrow, and Sumit can "smack the ball" better under a bright son, to mount a comeback. First convert the break and let us take it from there. Go Sumit!!
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

^^Did the sun have a son after the eclipse, Jay? That he must be bright is a given.

Sorry; couldn’t resist it.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Atithee wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:51 pm ^^Did the sun have a son after the eclipse, Jay? That he must be bright is a given.
:tomato: ...

But the sun did have a son, as per Indian puraaNaas. Actually a few; he was pretty productive. Sugreeva the monkey king in Ramayana and Karna the castaway brother of the Paandavas in Mahabharata were both Sun's sons. Even Manu, the one from whom human race (manushyas) came and Yamadharma (God of death) etc are Suryadeva's sons. He had like 4 wives, but still went and had a son with Kunti! The dude never loses his vigor...
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Sanjay wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:59 pm Early in the match but I see Sumit in no way inferior to Rune who is a Top 10 player. He is holding his own. Will test his stamina to keep up his level though.
It's not only about stamina. Good players adjust during the match and figure out techniques and slight changes and excute it better after seeing what their opponents are doing. Sumit got figured out a bit. And, the sheer class of Rune and better serving helped a lot. Even on clay it matters a bit. Not as much as on grass or even hard court. But, it does. Sumit's height is his height and his serve has an upper limit. So, things are what they are. Here's hoping Sumit figures things out and has a plan to pounce on Rune to somehow pull out Set 2. Then, it is literally anybody's game. :-)

I am wishing and hoping but know that it will perhaps not happen.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

arjun2761 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:17 am ^^^Hopefully your dream will come true in a few hours. :D

Looks like only Bautista-Agut can get ahead of Sumit this week, so he will end the week at a new career high of 80 or 81 even if he loses.

Well Bautista-Agut lost, so Sumit is guaranteed to be at a career high of 80 next week. Now if he somehow wins against Rune and three other opponents pull their hamstrings, he will be guaranteed to be in the top 100 for at least another year. :D
SaniaFan

Post by SaniaFan »

Why did you spare Rune? He can also sprain his ankle. :p :-)
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

All you nasty fellows :)
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

Now there is something exciting brewing..

Sumit squares off to take S2 @3

Can he complete a monumental win.

Go Sumit!!
sanjay8886

Post by sanjay8886 »

Just wow!! He wins the second set 6-3. Off to a decider.
NHolla

Post by NHolla »

Amazing to win 2nd set. Go Sumit :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

A DF from Rune at that delayed BP from last night made it 2-2 and Sumit broke again in the 8th game to serve it off at 30...