India Challengers February 2024

This is a forum where users can follow various tournaments that have Indian participation or are held in India. GrandSlams and Davis Cup should also be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

sanjay8886
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: India Challengers February 2024

Post by sanjay8886 »

I think he should skip Pune, take rest and then get ready for Dubai Q followed by Indian Wells Q. In my opinion, the benefit to Pune challenger at this stage is limited.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by sameerph »

RamK and Saketh also continue their winning streak reaching second successive final beating Uchida and Alcantara 62 26 10-7.

Saketh back to #100 in live rankings, RamK at #154.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

sanjay8886 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:51 pm I think he should skip Pune, take rest and then get ready for Dubai Q followed by Indian Wells Q. In my opinion, the benefit to Pune challenger at this stage is limited.
Especially if he wins another round here, he should skip Pune. He will be solidly in the top 100 and minimizes the risk of injury that comes from playing so many matches (10 matches) in 2 weeks. Also, in the past he has struggled in Pune, perhaps because it has a faster surface, so that is another reason for him to skip.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Terrific win for Sumit in straight sets against the champion of the Burnie Challenger last week. Someone who saw Walton play doubles yesterday was mighty impressed by him, so the easy win for Sumit just re-emphasises the terrific form the India #1 is in.

Also nice to see Ramkumar/Saketh make their second consecutive Challenger doubles final. Let's make that two titles in a row!
Sanjay

Post by Sanjay »

sanjay8886 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:51 pm I think he should skip Pune, take rest and then get ready for Dubai Q followed by Indian Wells Q. In my opinion, the benefit to Pune challenger at this stage is limited.
Yes, I think I agree with you. Skip Pune and start playing the ATPs. He will lose more but make more money and get more points. And more important play better players and improve.

Sumit's next opponent is a guy who has a golden set (won all 24 points) to his name. In a qualifier 9 years ago.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

arjun2761 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:35 pm
Moves to 101 in live rankings but can be overhauled by 3 players still. Getting to the final should get him to a career high of #92 (in theory 2 players can get ahead of him but they are playing QFs at Buenos Aires ATP against #2 Alcaraz and #30 Baez).
Coria beat Beaz and moved ahead to #85 in live rankings. Vavassori lost to Alacaraz. So, as of now only 1 player below him (Halys) who can overtake Sumit at his current position with a title at Cherbourg challenger. However, a win in today's match will put Sumit beyond him. So, win in today's match will put Sumit at #93 in the ATP rankings. And even if he cannot defend 18 points that he has to in next 2 weeks, he will be still at 621 points which should just sneak him in top 100.

So, a win today's match will almost seal his spot for French open main draw with no more points to defend till end April.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Sumit's SF is going similar to yesterday's match. Sumit was up 4-1 and had a couple of break points to go 5-1 up but Napolitano held there and broke back and broke again to 5-4 up. But, Sumit broke him to level at 5-5 and has now held for 6-5.

From 0-40 Sumit got it deuce on Italian serve but Italian won the next 2 points for 6-6 and Sumit is going to play his first tie break of last 2 weeks.

And Sumit lost the tie break at 2.

Lots of errors from Sumit now, he is looking tired.
Sanjay

Post by Sanjay »

Yes, Sumit looks very tired after all those W's in a row. Losing his first set after the set drop in AO.
If he loses, he should take a week off I think.

Sumit making a comeback in S2... Cmon Sumit!
Sanjay

Post by Sanjay »

I don't like this recent trend of players after losing a point they turn to some person in the crowd and start screaming. It is usually some coach or part of their entourage. Djokovic does that a lot, looks really idiotic. I saw both Napolitano and Sumit do it today.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Sumit keeps fighting tiredness and determined opponent. Saved multiple break points to hold for 4-4 in second set.
Sanjay

Post by Sanjay »

Come to an end. He is still playing well, I think he needs a short break.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Damn, 2 net cords went against Sumit at critical time serving at 4-5 and he got broken and Sumit's 8 match winning streak is over.

[SF] (2) Sumit Nagal (IND,98) l. (7) Stefano Napoliatano (ITA,204) 67(2) 46
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

RamK and Saketh winning second consecutive doubles title winning the final 63 64.

Saketh back up to #89 in live rankings getting back close to ATP range but he has lots of points to defend over next couple of months. RamK is #145 in live rankings and does not have a whole lot to defend in next 2-3 months.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

At what ranking can you get into ATP tournaments? Or even ATP quals? In doubles.
Sanjay

Post by Sanjay »

I really feel Sumit should put Challengers behind him (unless he wants some practice) and focus on ATPs.