ITF W50 Bengaluru, Pune, Indore- Jan 14-Feb 4, 2024

This is a forum where users can follow various tournaments that have Indian participation or are held in India. GrandSlams and Davis Cup should also be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: ITF W50 Bengaluru, Pune, Indore- Jan 14-Feb 4, 2024

Post by jayakris »

I don't remember any India event where we had ZERO Indians in the second round. It has probably never happened.
Dinesh

Post by Dinesh »

:puke:
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

jayakris wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:18 pm I don't remember any India event where we had ZERO Indians in the second round. It has probably never happened.
Yes, I too have not seen. Highly disappointing.
arjun2761
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by arjun2761 »

https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/serbian ... ks-5030320

Some tactless comments by a Serbian player based on her experiences at one of these events.
Omkara

Post by Omkara »

India is tough for the world. Mumbai is tough for many Indians. We have become dirtier than before.

However, Bangalore, Indore and Pune are way more cleaner than other parts. Indore does a pretty good job on cleanliness. So wonder what this girl was ranting about. Typical behaviour white skin people.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Typical Serbs more like. They have ruined their part of the world and spread that ideology elsewhere too.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

While we do not have their ethnic fighting now, part of what she said is true. Ad hominem attacks usually means that they have a point and you can't attack them using logic and so attack their race.

Cars honking - an abomination. This is bad in India. She is correct.

Food - she likes more barbaric food that is not cooked and could not deal with the sophistry of our cooking that is acclaimed and loved the world over.

Hygiene - she is correct. I have seen people practice very bad hygiene regularly.

Don't go there - she is an idiot. Lots of people come to India and love the country. She is not cultured enough to enjoy the culture of India. In fact, we should invest more on encouraging tourists to visit India. There is huge potential that is untapped. I only hesitate because we already have so many people and tourists would put more strain on our infrastructure. But, on the balance, we should still try to tap into this potential in order to lift significant numbers out of poverty.

Just my two cents. Feel free to disagree.
Sanjay

Post by Sanjay »

I cringed when I saw the news but unfortunately what is she is right. I have lived abroad for the last many decades and when I visit India, I feel bad seeing how dirty the place still is. Even my hometown of Mysore. We were the "cleanest city" some years ago, and when I visited, I would wonder what we really got it for. Trash is still all over the place. Yes, things are better from my childhood days and we have a gaadi coming every day/week to collect trash from homes unlike our kaam-waali who would throw it in the local gutter which would block the sewage water and then overflow and cause other problems.

I visited London and Paris last year and these old cities are much cleaner. Yes, there are areas of trash and filth there too and my friends in India like to send me photos of US cities with trash mountains but they are missing the point and reacting without introspecting. Mumbai city has a distinctive smell wherever you go. Bangalore has been ruined by the politicians in their greed.

There is a long way to go. I don't think Swachh Bharat is being talked about anymore by anyone.

Indian food not good? Hmm.. okay. It is personal taste after all. I don't like French or Japanese, but many others do. French is supposed to be very fancy but it doesn't do it for me. No big deal.

That said, there are reasons why India is this way. You cannot go through 1000 years of invasions and pillage by everyone and then be prime and pristine in a few years. Takes time. A long time. If she does not want to come to India, then she has options, go play elsewhere.
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

Omkara wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:34 am India is tough for the world. Mumbai is tough for many Indians. We have become dirtier than before.
True... nothing has changed in the 30 years since I left Bombay, the same slums which were there 30 years ago greet you as your plane approaches to land

Slums which stood before in different parts of the city are still there, and have even added additional levels on top.

Overall the filth and garbage is just increasing, and my foreign freinds who have visited, apologetically in a mild tone comment in order not to sound rude, that the city is "little dirty" compared to cities around the world and the rough translation of little dirty is Filthy.
SaniaFan

Post by SaniaFan »

Actually saying "Hello civilization" what ticked of most of the people. That was racist.

I have seen yellow pillow, broken furniture broken toilet seat in Orlando. But that does not make whole USA like that. That shows that I went to a cheap place. And it was cheap really :D. Some $20 for stay including breakfast(I think it was 2011).
vparam

Post by vparam »

Were the players staying at upscale hotels provided by the tournament or was it much lower in quality?
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

SaniaFan wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:36 pm Actually saying "Hello civilization" what ticked of most of the people. That was racist.

I have seen yellow pillow, broken furniture broken toilet seat in Orlando. But that does not make whole USA like that. That shows that I went to a cheap place. And it was cheap really :D. Some $20 for stay including breakfast(I think it was 2011).
I have seen those everywhere in the world. And, you are right. It means we are going to cheap hotels. But, I must say the amount of street garbage and the number of people littering is the highest I have seen in India. It sort of pains me. It maybe that we are much more densely populated than anywhere in the world and parts of New York that are densely populated are similarly decript and dirty but whatever the reason is, the amount of garbage around and the lack of culture of hygiene is apalling.

Rwanda is poorer than us. But, they have this culture where every Sunday morning or whatever they all come out and clean the neighborhood! And, do it with pride. They have a word for it. I forget but it starts with U. And, it is really clean. Rwanda is a densely populated African country, perhaps the most dense in Eastern Africa. I wish we had that culture. They are run by an autocrat though and I don't want their political system, poverty, etc. but that cleanliness culture is a good thing, imho.
Sanjay

Post by Sanjay »

prasen9 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:42 pm

Rwanda is poorer than us. But, they have this culture where every Sunday morning or whatever they all come out and clean the neighborhood! And, do it with pride. They have a word for it. I forget but it starts with U. And, it is really clean. Rwanda is a densely populated African country, perhaps the most dense in Eastern Africa. I wish we had that culture. They are run by an autocrat though and I don't want their political system, poverty, etc. but that cleanliness culture is a good thing, imho.

Wow you are right about Rwanda! I went to Google Maps and did a Street View on the capital city about 5 times and not once did I see piles of garbage anywhere. Roads were chaka-chak and no paper/plastic strewn anywhere. Wah. Very nice to see. Even the smaller villages may have mud roads but no trash piling up anywhere.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

SaniaFan wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:36 pm Actually saying "Hello civilization" what ticked of most of the people. That was racist.
This is the point. It is quite ridiculous coming from a war mongering nation with little to no historical civilizational contributions. And when you add her lack of achievement in tennis, it comes off as badly as when RamK acts like a petulant child on court.

It is not ad-hominem to discuss someone like this, I also believe she lives in Paris which says a lot about her shallowness.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Sanjay wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:22 pm Wow you are right about Rwanda! I went to Google Maps and did a Street View on the capital city about 5 times and not once did I see piles of garbage anywhere. Roads were chaka-chak and no paper/plastic strewn anywhere. Wah. Very nice to see. Even the smaller villages may have mud roads but no trash piling up anywhere.
I visited there last year. :Offtopic: Plastic bags was banned in 2008. Paul Kagame is a dictator but maybe is a dictator that Jay would like. He got some things done. Anyway, the cleanliness and cleaning public areas jointly as a citizen initiative is their culture. Check out the word: Umuganda. i would love India to have some Umuganda. It is not that hard and does not take that much time if we change our thinking and take pride in where we live. Just like we clean the inside of our house ...